Yellow Tang fin rot, need advice

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, was hoping to get some advice on a recently purchased captive breed Biota yellow tang. He arrived 2 days ago in okay shape, he had some minor fin rot. I put him into my 10 gallon quarantine tank with no meds for observation. Yesterday I noticed the fin rot got a little worse and today I just got home from work and he’s gotten way worse in only a few hours. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what may be the cause and how to treat. He’s pretty active, and eating pellets. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Let me know whatever info you need from me and I’ll try my best to provide it. Thank you

Salinity: 1.024
Water temp: 79.5
Ph:8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1
Phosphate: 0.25
Copper: 0.01

The tank is cycled, has been running for about 3 months. I have QT 2 clownfish together and then a neon goby with no issues. I did almost a 100% water change before the fish went in.

C56E83DA-EEE6-4CC5-9BDB-8A3A2A343CE9.png DE2429C1-BFFC-45DD-95DC-1F7F3253A4B2.png DB16932F-61BB-4E16-9DDC-EF7C2440FE73.png FEB6FC6B-461F-4754-BE86-71A91F35C69A.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty bad for a biota fish. What do your parameters in the QT look like?

The tank is cycled, has been running for about 3 months. I have QT 2 clownfish together and then a neon goby with no issues. I did almost a 100% water change before the fish went in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The yellow tang hasn't been housed with any other fish? Fin rot that severe almost always starts with mechanical damage and the most common source of that is being attacked by another fish.

I would contact Biota and ask then what they think.

Jay

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The yellow tang hasn't been housed with any other fish? Fin rot that severe almost always starts with mechanical damage and the most common source of that is being attacked by another fish.

I would contact Biota and ask then what they think.

Jay
Hi Jay,

Not with me, I've had him solo in the 10 gallon QT tank. I did receive him with some minor fin rot that wasn’t that bad. It’s gotten this severe in the last 24 hrs. during the day. I’ve used your post about QT with success on my other fish. Do you recommend I begin the medicated cooper treatment or continue observation for now? I emailed biota earlier today, no response yet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

Not with me, I've had him solo in the 10 gallon QT tank. I did receive him with some minor fin rot that wasn’t that bad. It’s gotten this severe in the last 24 hrs. during the day. I’ve used your post about QT with success on my other fish. Do you recommend I begin the medicated cooper treatment or continue observation for now? I emailed biota earlier today, no response yet.
No, I don’t see anything to indicate you should copper this fish. I think you need to hit it with a good gram negative broad spectrum antibiotic. Furan 2 if you can find it, Neoplex maybe. Maracyn 1 and 2 is another possibility.
Acute bacterial infections are pretty rare, but this sure looks like that’s what this is. Because antibiotics take time to work, the sooner you can dose the better.
Jay

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t see anything to indicate you should copper this fish. I think you need to hit it with a good gram negative broad spectrum antibiotic. Furan 2 if you can find it, Neoplex maybe. Maracyn 1 and 2 is another possibility.
Acute bacterial infections are pretty rare, but this sure looks like that’s what this is. Because antibiotics take time to work, the sooner you can dose the better.
Jay
Thank you for the advice
JayTha
Jay
Thank you for the advice, I will look into getting one of those antibiotics as soon as possible. And per the advice of another forum member, I’ll be doing a water changes more regularly and siphoning any uneaten food to keep water conditions as pristine as possible.

I’m new to the hobby and have a question about your “Current Quarantine Protocol” post. I quarantined my first 3 fish following the info you provided, even though all 3 fish looked perfectly healthy prior. Is it required or strongly suggested to QT all new fish with copper and Praziquantel even if they look healthy? If it’s not necessary to QT healthy looking fish with meds how long should you observe them for in the QT tank before transferring them to DT.

Thank you, your input is very much appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice

Thank you for the advice, I will look into getting one of those antibiotics as soon as possible. And per the advice of another forum member, I’ll be doing a water changes more regularly and siphoning any uneaten food to keep water conditions as pristine as possible.

I’m new to the hobby and have a question about your “Current Quarantine Protocol” post. I quarantined my first 3 fish following the info you provided, even though all 3 fish looked perfectly healthy prior. Is it required or strongly suggested to QT all new fish with copper and Praziquantel even if they look healthy? If it’s not necessary to QT healthy looking fish with meds how long should you observe them for in the QT tank before transferring them to DT.

Thank you, your input is very much appreciated.
Yes - I always quarantine fish with preventative medications, even if they don’t show symptoms when first acquired. The reason is so many times fish can hide infections that can become active months after you buy them.
Jay

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I always quarantine fish with preventative medications, even if they don’t show symptoms when first acquired. The reason is so many times fish can hide infections that can become active months after you buy them.
Jay
Thank you. Okay so if my yellow tang begins healing and makes a recovery, I should follow you QT process after?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Okay so if my yellow tang begins healing and makes a recovery, I should follow you QT process after?
I would, but a fish straight from Biota shouldn’t have a lot of parasite issues, unlike fish that go through the wholesale pet trade, so you might be able to skip or shorten the period.
I am, however, concerned about this fish surviving, if the bacteria becomes systemic, and moves from the fins to the body, it is going to be difficult to stop.
Jay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat with antibiotics like now.... do you have a LFS in the area? Furan 2 doesn't seem to be available anymore online or hard to find. My LFS still has some leftover boxes though so yours may also. I feel like waiting for something to ship won't be fast enough.

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat with antibiotics like now.... do you have a LFS in the area? Furan 2 doesn't seem to be available anymore online or hard to find. My LFS still has some leftover boxes though so yours may also. I feel like waiting for something to ship won't be fast enough.
Yes I have a local one 5 min away but they don’t carry much. I’ll have to drive to Miami tomorrow, but I’m sure I can find it, multiple LFS in Miami.

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would, but a fish straight from Biota shouldn’t have a lot of parasite issues, unlike fish that go through the wholesale pet trade, so you might be able to skip or shorten the period.
I am, however, concerned about this fish surviving, if the bacteria becomes systemic, and moves from the fins to the body, it is going to be difficult to stop.
Jay
Thank you. I’ll be going around my LFS tomorrow and hopefully find Furan 2. I really hope he makes it, even with all his fins missing he’s still eating and, although less than when I first got him, fairly active.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I’ll be going around my LFS tomorrow and hopefully find Furan 2. I really hope he makes it, even with all his fins missing he’s still eating and, although less than when I first got him, fairly active.
Please tell me what LFS you can find Furan 2 in. I’m in Miami and I can’t seem to find it. I checked strictly fish…nothing. Exotic Aquariums had it in a $120 bottle.

OP
OP
Caution King

Caution King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me what LFS you can find Furan 2 in. I’m in Miami and I can’t seem to find it. I checked strictly fish…nothing. Exotic Aquariums had it in a $120 bottle.
Damm alright, I guess it’s harder to find than I thought. Those were two places I was thinking I could check tomorrow. I normally go to VIP aquariums or Aquarium Depot they’re closest to me I’m in Key Largo. Will let you know if I find it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damm alright, I guess it’s harder to find than I thought. Those were two places I was thinking I could check tomorrow. I normally go to VIP aquariums or Aquarium Depot they’re closest to me I’m in Key Largo. Will let you know if I find it.
I just ordered it from Amazon. Coming this Friday.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back