Yellow Tang fins in hospital tank

TammyMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ragged fins and cloudy spot on top? They've been in 2.5 copper power for 7 days for ich. Feeding pellets with GC/Focus/Selcon/Garlic and nori. All are eating well. 18 gallons with 5 gallon water changes every 3 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang is breathing pretty fast. The ragged fins are sharp-edged, that means more likely aggression from the clowns as opposed to a bacterial infection (although they can become infected).

What is the ammonia level?
What are you measuring the copper with?
I'd skip the focus/GC - there is almost no chance that the dose will be correct, and at a full dose, the fish will tend to go off feed because it is so bitter.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TammyMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert badge is yellow and has not changed. They are all eating very well. I'm measuring copper with a hanna checker. Have not noticed any aggression from the clowns. They pretty much stay clear of the tang.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia alert badge is yellow and has not changed. They are all eating very well. I'm measuring copper with a hanna checker. Have not noticed any aggression from the clowns. They pretty much stay clear of the tang.
Clowns are pretty sly at avoiding being seen acting like jerks. If the tang had good fins and now looks like this, it pretty much has to be another fish doing it.
The rapid breathing is my concern - 7 days of copper should rule out protozoans. This looks like a Biota raised fish, I just don’t see those getting flukes. That just doesn’t leave a lot of diagnostic options.
Jay

OP
OP
T

TammyMcG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are pretty sly at avoiding being seen acting like jerks. If the tang had good fins and now looks like this, it pretty much has to be another fish doing it.
The rapid breathing is my concern - 7 days of copper should rule out protozoans. This looks like a Biota raised fish, I just don’t see those getting flukes. That just doesn’t leave a lot of diagnostic options.
Jay
Do you think i should do a bigger water change or take them out and put them in the other sterile qt tank? It has a divider.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think i should do a bigger water change or take them out and put them in the other sterile qt tank? It has a divider.
Well, without knowing all your water parameters, I’d say with the ammonia reading zero. A water change isn’t going to give you much benefit.

Does the tank have good aeration (not just circulation)?

I presume the tang is a new purchase…have you contacted the dealer?

Putting a divider in won’t hurt, and will stop any aggression.
Jay

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back