Yellow tang having a pinched stomach, internal parasites?

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang, tomini tang, and a yellow tang living in a 90 gallon tank that is plumb to a 60 and a 10 gallon sump/ ref. I have nori clipped on almost 24/7 and both my tomini and purple are really fat. I’m concern that my yellow tang might have internal parasites. I only seen the yellow tang poop once and it was green, about an inch long pellet/ grain. He’s pretty skittish still, so I would drop a piece of nori rubber band on a rock in the back in addition to the veggie clip with nori. Do I need to take him out of the display and quarantine him? How would I know he actually has internal parasites? Wouldnt separating the yellow tang from the purple and tomini eventually cause aggression among them when I reintroduce the yellow tang. Could I feed my tang nori soaked medicated food in the display tank? It is a mixed reef tank with a bunch of snails and two shrimp, peppermint and cleaner. Attach is a photo after I placed some nori in the back of the tank

image.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking nori in medication won't work, it will quickly rinse off into your tank. While internal parasites are a possibility, it could also be simply a lack of calories. You should feed your tangs a mixture of foods - nori, pellets and mysids shrimp for example. Also, be sure your nori is air dried and not roasted sushi nori as that has no real nutritional value.

Jay

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank? New fish?
It is fairly new as it was an upgrade. Yes new fish, bought from a seller who quarantine his fish, but I bought parazapro just in case. My first yellow tang died from stress. I’m letting my tank grow algae at the moment. I don’t want to loose this one too! I just soaked some pellets and it’s nice to see that he is eating it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaking nori in medication won't work, it will quickly rinse off into your tank. While internal parasites are a possibility, it could also be simply a lack of calories. You should feed your tangs a mixture of foods - nori, pellets and mysids shrimp for example. Also, be sure your nori is air dried and not roasted sushi nori as that has no real nutritional value.

Jaye
Soaking nori in medication won't work, it will quickly rinse off into your tank. While internal parasites are a possibility, it could also be simply a lack of calories. You should feed your tangs a mixture of foods - nori, pellets and mysids shrimp for example. Also, be sure your nori is air dried and not roasted sushi nori as that has no real nutritional

Jay
Yeah it’s dried seaweed. I been soaking my food in garlic, not sure if it’s working. I do try to feed my fish to have a full stomach but it seems like he’s the only one who quickly loose weight. I have a 20 gallon long ready to be set up as a quarantine if I have to catch this yellow tang and treat for internal parasites. I have general cure ready as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assuming tang is eating, What are you feeding it? Pinched is either internal issue as Jay stated or lack of adequate diet/nutrition. Feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Hikari veggie diet
Hikari Marine cuisine
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamins to the food 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for immunity health.

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming tang is eating, What are you feeding it? Pinched is either internal issue as Jay stated or lack of adequate diet/nutrition. Feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
Spirulina brine shrimp
Mysis shrimp
small plankton
LRS Herbivore diet
Hikari veggie diet
Hikari Marine cuisine
Formula 2 flake and frozen

Add selcon vitamins to the food 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for immunity health.
I feed dry nori, nori on clip almost 24/7. A tiny rock rubber band with nori in the back just to spread the food as my purple tang is a bit aggressive, but the yellow tang usually stands his ground. I also feed Spirulina mysis, mysis with garlic, brine with garlic, blend of mysis and brine, and now some pellets. None of my fish like the api saltwater fish flakes I got in a package. My 3 banggai cardinals, purple tang, and tomini tang stomachs are fat. Hence why I think it’s internal parasites. I have a 20 gallon long tank ready to be set up as a quarantine. I also have general cure as medicine for the internal parasites. I’m going to see if feeding the pellets help with the pinch stomach, if not in he goes in qt

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I feed dry nori, nori on clip almost 24/7. A tiny rock rubber band with nori in the back just to spread the food as my purple tang is a bit aggressive, but the yellow tang usually stands his ground. I also feed Spirulina mysis, mysis with garlic, brine with garlic, blend of mysis and brine, and now some pellets. None of my fish like the api saltwater fish flakes I got in a package. My 3 banggai cardinals, purple tang, and tomini tang stomachs are fat. Hence why I think it’s internal parasites. I have a 20 gallon long tank ready to be set up as a quarantine. I also have general cure as medicine for the internal parasites. I’m going to see if feeding the pellets help with the pinch stomach, if not in he goes in qt
See list I posted. Your list is inadequate for nutrition, fats and aminos. I have 18 tangs and they get 21 different diets

42422B57-B24B-4BD8-BF0E-4882E4CAF0F9.jpeg
742A1B14-70D6-4E2E-86F8-CF653B6B481E.jpeg
3C52DCC9-DD69-4957-99B3-309A470BDF31.jpeg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does that when he’s starving , I feed him and it pops back up

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to feed spirulina mysis, but this is his stomach right after nibbling on some pellets. It’s still pinched

Attachments

• 10444F90-6684-401E-AD39-7F9A29E02FEE.jpeg
    10444F90-6684-401E-AD39-7F9A29E02FEE.jpeg
    103.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See list I posted. Your list is inadequate for nutrition, fats and aminos. I have 18 tangs and they get 21 different diets

42422B57-B24B-4BD8-BF0E-4882E4CAF0F9.jpeg
742A1B14-70D6-4E2E-86F8-CF653B6B481E.jpeg
3C52DCC9-DD69-4957-99B3-309A470BDF31.jpeg
Wow amazing tank and fish. This is my second yellow tang as this first one didn’t do so well. I’m about to feed spirulina mysis to see any stomach changes. Wow I definitely need to expand my variety of food with the right nutrition. However, wouldn’t my tomini and purple tang would also have pinch stomachs if the nutrients were imbalance.

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feed nori and LRS reef frenzy and my tang is fat and happy. no need for a 21 course meal lol
Yes I do agree, but I’m still trying to figure out why isn’t my yellow tang fat compared to my purple and tomini. My guess is internal parasites, but I’m not sure. His stomach went back to normal after feeding quite heavily. How do I know if he has internal parasites? Like if his stomach goes way real quick?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Wow amazing tank and fish. This is my second yellow tang as this first one didn’t do so well. I’m about to feed spirulina mysis to see any stomach changes. Wow I definitely need to expand my variety of food with the right nutrition. However, wouldn’t my tomini and purple tang would also have pinch stomachs if the nutrients were imbalance.
They may be getting more food and intake

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do agree, but I’m still trying to figure out why isn’t my yellow tang fat compared to my purple and tomini. My guess is internal parasites, but I’m not sure. His stomach went back to normal after feeding quite heavily. How do I know if he has internal parasites? Like if his stomach goes way real quick?
i pulled this off of another thread. keep an eye out for these things. im not experienced at all in fish disease so i wont add any input besides this. if you do confirm internal parasites, keep in mind Metroplex isnt reef safe but you can soak it in food with a binder to make it reef safe along with running carbon as a failsafe.

“White, stringy poop indicates intestinal worms and can sometimes be accompanied by weight loss despite the fish eating well. This is a slow disease as long as the fish is eating. Soaking Metroplex in the food is the best course of action, but it can be dosed in the water as well as General Cure for a second choice of treatment.”

i just was putting my 2 cents in on the comment made that tangs need all that food. seems ridiculous to tell people thats the minimum.

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i pulled this off of another thread. keep an eye out for these things. im not experienced at all in fish disease so i wont add any input besides this. if you do confirm internal parasites, keep in mind Metroplex isnt reef safe but you can soak it in food with a binder to make it reef safe along with running carbon as a failsafe.

“White, stringy poop indicates intestinal worms and can sometimes be accompanied by weight loss despite the fish eating well. This is a slow disease as long as the fish is eating. Soaking Metroplex in the food is the best course of action, but it can be dosed in the water as well as General Cure for a second choice of treatment.”

i just was putting my 2 cents in on the comment made that tangs need all that food. seems ridiculous to tell people thats the minimum.
Thank you for the information. Yeah I been feeding my tank really well, better than my freshwater tank. Yeah I think I’m going to have to quarantine him. I have general cure ready. I’m going to monitor his weight overnight to the tomorrow to see if he looses weight. He does loose weight pretty quick compared to my purple and tomini tang. I am stump on whether if it is internal parasites or not. I have not seen white stringy poop, but I have notice weight loss. It can’t be possible that he’s the only one looking like he’s starving while the others are still fat and full of food. The others look like they have not starve a single day/ second

OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks skinny even after feed spirulina mysis and new life spectrum pellets

Attachments

• 231097A4-5987-4EF1-9BE3-AD5638C93EFE.jpeg
    231097A4-5987-4EF1-9BE3-AD5638C93EFE.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets seem to help him fill out and fatten up a bit but still have a pinched stomach. So still a question on whether he has internal parasites or not

Attachments

• 9740667F-9377-432E-9EB6-5E7A453940F6.png
    9740667F-9377-432E-9EB6-5E7A453940F6.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • 28BE954D-FB75-446E-81A8-3FFAD7771037.jpeg
    28BE954D-FB75-446E-81A8-3FFAD7771037.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 67
OP
OP
Stevenpandas

Stevenpandas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just notice my purple tang has white stringy poop, I guess I’m going to set up a qt for all three tangs?

Attachments

• 51D77139-2CC1-4454-81BC-18F35AD89653.png
    51D77139-2CC1-4454-81BC-18F35AD89653.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 55

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just notice my purple tang has white stringy poop, I guess I’m going to set up a qt for all three tangs?
you could do a QT. if they are a hard to catch, you could feed food soaked in metroplex and a binder like Seachem focus. optional, but soak in garlic to entice them to eat it. run carbon to remove any excess in the tank after feeding.

QT or not, feeding medicated food is the best way to treat internal parasites from what ive read rather than dosing the water column.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back