Yellow Tang Help in Identification and Treatment

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of tangs in quarantine and tank is at 2.35 therapeutic Copper Power for the last 5 days and all was good until during feeding this morning I noticed some white stuff on one of my tangs pecks. Thinking it may have been flukes I did a 4 min fresh water dip and nothing fell off. He is eating well and no flashing or rubbing against the tank glass. Not sure what to do since he is in copper treatment. Need some assistance with identification and treatment.
20201230_103749.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of tangs in quarantine and tank is at 2.35 therapeutic Copper Power for the last 5 days and all was good until during feeding this morning I noticed some white stuff on one of my tangs pecks. Thinking it may have been flukes I did a 4 min fresh water dip and nothing fell off. He is eating well and no flashing or rubbing against the tank glass. Not sure what to do since he is in copper treatment. Need some assistance with identification and treatment.
20201230_103749.jpg
It looks a little too diffuse to be Lymphocystis, but I can’t rule that out entirely. The trailing edge of the dorsal fin has what appears to be some bite marks, you’ll need to evaluate everyone closely for fighting/chasing. What is your ammonia level, and how do you test for it?
Jay

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is zero according to both Red Sea and Seachem Badge. Yes he does get chased a little bit since he is a little smaller but nothing really aggressive that I have seen. I do have a divider I could put in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is zero according to both Red Sea and Seachem Badge. Yes he does get chased a little bit since he is a little smaller but nothing really aggressive that I have seen. I do have a divider I could put in the tank.
I’d divide it for now, it probably is only going to get worse n a small tank.
The next question is - do you dose with antibiotics for a presumed bacterial infection, or just wait and see? Personally, I’d have antibiotics on hand and then give it some more time. Maracyn 2 or Neoplex would be possible options.
Jay

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Prazipro, Kanaplex, Metroplex and Focus on hand but I am not sure what can be used while in copper treatment. They are in copper treatment due to an ich outbreak in my observation tank so I needed to startup my quarantine tank a few weeks ago and transfer them to quarantine.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my LFS just called (Reef Collective) which these guys are great and he said it looked like Lympho and and gave me the lowdown on what causes it and treatment. He wants me to increase Alk to 10DKH because I am reading a little low and to add potassium but wants me to wait on the potassium until I can get them a water sample and they will measure the amount I need. According to them these are the main components if low can cause this. Also told me there is no cure and it should eventually go away with proper water conditions.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my LFS just called (Reef Collective) which these guys are great and he said it looked like Lympho and and gave me the lowdown on what causes it and treatment. He wants me to increase Alk to 10DKH because I am reading a little low and to add potassium but wants me to wait on the potassium until I can get them a water sample and they will measure the amount I need. According to them these are the main components if low can cause this. Also told me there is no cure and it should eventually go away with proper water conditions.
Well, I'm still not seeing definitive Lymphocystis, you could try to post a better picture. Lymphocystis is fairly rare in YT, and usually infects the trailing edges of the fins, and isn't diffuse like this, it looks sharper and more angular.

There is no connection between alkalinity and Lymphocystis, as that is a viral disease. It can't be treated, and it does go away on its own within 6 weeks or so.

Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back