Yellow tang help!!

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my 2 biota Yt’s yesterday and while 1 was swimming around and eating from the time I got him out of the bag the other was sideways for a while. He eventually started swimming around without an issue and woke up this morning and he seemed fine although I hadn’t seen him eating yet. Just got home from work and he’s laying on his side again with a red mark on his side. Ammonia badge and Red Sea ammonia test reading 0ppm.
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
PH 7.9
Any ideas if I can help save him?
C5576525-5191-42F4-97A1-9F26D8D4774D.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my 2 biota Yt’s yesterday and while 1 was swimming around and eating from the time I got him out of the bag the other was sideways for a while. He eventually started swimming around without an issue and woke up this morning and he seemed fine although I hadn’t seen him eating yet. Just got home from work and he’s laying on his side again with a red mark on his side. Ammonia badge and Red Sea ammonia test reading 0ppm.
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
PH 7.9
Short video will help while waiting on the experts to weigh in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
PH 7.9
Red blotch is bacterial and associated with stress and even dietary
Increase oxygen via airstone and how was fish acclimated and for how long?

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an air stone in there and a HOB filter. I floated the bag in water for 20 minutes and drip acclimated for half an hour. The water in the tank was made a day in advance

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an air stone in there and a HOB filter. I floated the bag in water for 20 minutes and drip acclimated for half an hour. The water in the tank was made a day in advance
Could be the issue here. When fish are shipped, drip acclimation in the water they came in can be a bad thing. Once exposed to air the ammonia level in the bag can skyrocket.

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the issue here. When fish are shipped, drip acclimation in the water they came in can be a bad thing. Once exposed to air the ammonia level in the bag can skyrocket.
Hmmm interesting I’ve always drip acclimated without an issue because I thought that was the right thing to do

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm interesting I’ve always drip acclimated without an issue because I thought that was the right thing to do
Pretty sure when shipped its recommended to match salinity, temp and Ph and move the fish over right away and then drip to match tank conditions.

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the quarantine tank have any beneficial bacteria or is the water from an established tank? Any time I set up a quarantine tank, I use water from my main display tank.

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sterile water. Didn’t want to introduce any unwanted bacteria or disease that may be in the DT. When I contacted Biota how to set up the quarantine tank they referred me to a humblefish article that said to use fresh saltwater mixed for 24 hours

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s sterile water. Didn’t want to introduce any unwanted bacteria or disease that may be in the DT. When I contacted Biota how to set up the quarantine tank they referred me to a humblefish article that said to use fresh saltwater mixed for 24 hours
That's the problem! It's like putting a fish in a brand new tank without having it cycled. I would take water from your display and put him acclimate him to that. It could be fresh saltwater but added to a tank with live rock.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree not to drip acclimate shipped fish. Biota should ship at reef salinity. BUT, that wouldn't cause the redness there.

HumbleFish isn't here at R2R anymore, unfortunately.

That looks like an injury, possibly with some bacterial infection. I would start Maracyn. That really doesn't look good, unfortunately.

OP
OP
ShoreReefer

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem! It's like putting a fish in a brand new tank without having it cycled. I would take water from your display and put him acclimate him to that. It could be fresh saltwater but added to a tank with live rock.
Taken from the article biota sent from Humblefish when I asked how best to receive the fish
  • Aquarium (10-30 gallons seems to work for most people. Bigger QT lets you house more fish and gives you more wiggle room when it comes to ammonia. Smaller QT is cheaper, easier to maintain and can be setup/broke down quickly.)
  • Heater and thermometer
  • Small powerhead or air pump and sponge filter, for circulation & gas exchange.
  • Freshly mixed saltwater which has been fully dissolved and circulating for at least 24 hours.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to know now what might have happened. I agree with the comment about drip acclimation. A concern I have is if salin ity in the shipping water was significantly lower than your tank water salinity the shock could have been excessive for the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity 1.025
Temp 78
PH 7.9
Was the salinity in the tank matched to the bag before acclimation (or were they already close?)
This could be an ammonia burn from the shipping water.
Jay

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back