Yellow tang hiding/not eating

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody. My yellow tang suddenly started playing dead last night, laying on the sand and barely swimming. This morning it is swimming but did not eat and is hiding behind the rocks. No changes to the tank, no newcomers. I did a water change this morning, just to be sure. All the other fish seem fine and there is nothing visibly wrong with the yellow tang but I am worried because I lost my female mandarin fish a few days ago, without ever finding out why. What would you do? I am thinking of maybe doing a preventive treatment with food soaked in metroplex+focus+garlic for a few days to all of them? What do you think?

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would stay away from garlic.

Age & size of tank, other inhabitants, how long have you had him, what was he eating etc. All the info you can provide is better.

If he is not visibly sick he MAY have internal parasites. Is he skinny? was he losing weight while eating prior to yesterday? Do you have corals / inverts in your tank?

I would consider trying soaking food in API General cure + Selcon + Focus

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would stay away from garlic.

Age & size of tank, other inhabitants, how long have you had him, what was he eating etc. All the info you can provide is better.

If he is not visibly sick he MAY have internal parasites. Is he skinny? was he losing weight while eating prior to yesterday? Do you have corals / inverts in your tank?

I would consider trying soaking food in API General cure + Selcon + Focus
Hi, the tank has been running for about 4 years, 150 gallon mixed reef. I have had the tang for about 6 months. Other inhabitants are clowns, a blue tang, a mandarin, gobies, firefish, damsels, a pajama cardinal, a midas blenny, a trigger shrimp, snails and corals. All seem OK except for a mandarin that died a few days ago for no obvious reason. The tang was fine up to last night, eating normally and swimming all over. I feed twice per day, flakes in the morning and frozen in the evening

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not quarantine. No one is skinny, all are eating except him, no white stringy poop that I have noticed

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep a tight eye on it for a day or 2 and watch for more signs.

My yellow tang is kinda whacko and can act differently from day to day.

As long as no labored breathing, flashing/ rubbing on rocks or trouble swimming / staying upright I would observe.

You can always treat for internal parasites by soaking food in the concoction I put above. If he's flashing or trouble breathing but no signs of ich in the tank or on him - I'd look into treating for flukes - perhaps a FW dip if you can catch him.

OP
OP
E

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep a tight eye on it for a day or 2 and watch for more signs.

My yellow tang is kinda whacko and can act differently from day to day.

As long as no labored breathing, flashing/ rubbing on rocks or trouble swimming / staying upright I would observe.

You can always treat for internal parasites by soaking food in the concoction I put above. If he's flashing or trouble breathing but no signs of ich in the tank or on him - I'd look into treating for flukes - perhaps a FW dip if you can catch him.
Thank you so much! I don't think I will be able to catch him, too much rock -that;s why I was thinking of treating all of them. I don't have API or selcon on hand. Just metroplex and focus. Do you think that might be OK if it proves necessary, or should I try and get what you suggest?

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I don't think I will be able to catch him, too much rock -that;s why I was thinking of treating all of them. I don't have API or selcon on hand. Just metroplex and focus. Do you think that might be OK if it proves necessary, or should I try and get what you suggest?
Any update on this? My yellow tang won't eat for a few days now, and just seems to be hiding in the shade consistently. No idea what to do. Foxface is with it, but is eating actively. But no spots, nothing I can tell. And idk if it's labored breathing, they seem very "aware" but they're breathing, idk how hard or not.

I'm at a loss for what to do.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back