Yellow Tang in a Red Sea XL300

Landon K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I am working on my stocking list for my RS XL300 (3 feet long x 2 feet front to back) and I was considering adding a small Biota Yellow Tang. The thought of a full grown Yellow Tang in a 3 feet tank seems a bit goofy to me, but I would like to have one in there during the maturing stage of my reef for algae control. How long should I expect it to take for a 1.5-2 inch Yellow Tang to outgrow my tank? Thanks.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I am working on my stocking list for my RS XL300 (3 feet long x 2 feet front to back) and I was considering adding a small Biota Yellow Tang. The thought of a full grown Yellow Tang in a 3 feet tank seems a bit goofy to me, but I would like to have one in there during the maturing stage of my reef for algae control. How long should I expect it to take for a 1.5-2 inch Yellow Tang to outgrow my tank? Thanks.
You could likely get a couple good years from a biota in that tank depending on how you're feeding.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My @Biota_Marine YT has been in my tank for less than a year (I got Jeff Goldblum in January of this year), and my tank has a 4 feet x 2 feet footprint. I feel like he'd be ok for about a year in your tank, probably not much more...they grow pretty darn fast when they're little. If you want to see how he behaves in my tank, click over to my build thread, I just posted a tank update video a day or two ago.

Also, if you're mostly looking for algae control, yellow tangs are fine, but tuxedo urchins blow them out of the water as far as quantity of algae consumed per individual, and it's not even close.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back