OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - you can dose Prazipro with invertebrates. I've heard of it causing problems with feather duster worms, but that seems rare. You must aerate the tank with an airstone, and run your skimmer without its collection cup. Remove any chemical filtration as well.

Jay
Hey Jay..

If I dose Prazipro and let the skimmer overflow into the sump, would that be for the entire week? Any ideas on how to manage the nutrients in the tank then? And would you quit UV or just quit carbon?

Thanks,
Justin

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay..

If I dose Prazipro and let the skimmer overflow into the sump, would that be for the entire week? Any ideas on how to manage the nutrients in the tank then? And would you quit UV or just quit carbon?

Thanks,
Justin

You only need to disable your skimmer for 2 days. I am not sure about the UV, I'd stop it just to be safe.

Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to disable your skimmer for 2 days. I am not sure about the UV, I'd stop it just to be safe.

Jay
I just wanted to follow up with an update.

In order to prevent the need to re-read everything (because I know you (Jay) and others are busy helping tons of people every day), here's an overview.

A couple of months ago my YT showed the following symptoms:
  • Stopped eating
  • Hiding under rocks
  • Turning red
  • Shaking head
  • Clamped fins
  • Flashing
I moved the YT into QT and treated it with Copper Power and Kanaplex for about 10 days in case of ich or something. No spots were ever observed on the YT or any other fish. All other fish show no symptoms of anything, at all. I performed a FW dip on day 2 of QT, and didn't see any flukes (I think**).

After noticing the YT healing very well, I began to believe maybe my DT had an ammonia problem. After settling that issue, I moved the YT back in.

The YT was doing GREAT for a few weeks. Suddenly, what appears to be HLLE began creeping up (see images on page 3). The face/gills were turning white, the lateral line was turning white, and now the dorsal fin has some "chunks" missing. The YT eats like a beast in DT, and is no longer hiding under rocks, but was swimming behind my rockscape in 1 position for a large portion of the day, generally in the flow of my gyre that is vertical, blowing across the back glass.

Jay, you had mentioned possible Flukes again, with the HLLE symptoms. So today (9/14/2021) I was able to retrieve the YT from DT and put it back into QT. I began 1 dose of PraziPro (1/2 tsp for 10 gallon QT), hoping that will help IF it is Flukes.

Would you say it is safe to add another anti-bacterial medication like Kanaplex to the water? Or just do 1 round of PraziPro (5 days I believe) and see what happens? Not sure really what to expect with the HLLE symptoms. Like last time, I'm afraid its symptoms will not be visible during QT, and a "false recovery" might be had like last time.

Thanks,
Justin

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro needs to be dosed 7 to 10 days apart, and with some flukes (egg layers) a third treatment is needed. Dosing the fish n your DT would cost more in medication, but would be less stressful to the tang and would also help any other fish that could have flukes, just not showing symptoms.
I didn’t see anything here that indicates the need to dose antibiotics and prazi at he same time, but it can be done if you suspect that is an issue.
Jay

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro needs to be dosed 7 to 10 days apart, and with some flukes (egg layers) a third treatment is needed. Dosing the fish n your DT would cost more in medication, but would be less stressful to the tang and would also help any other fish that could have flukes, just not showing symptoms.
I didn’t see anything here that indicates the need to dose antibiotics and prazi at he same time, but it can be done if you suspect that is an issue.
Jay
Thanks for that information. I was really considering dosing Prazi into my DT, and still might in the future, but the HLLE was looking worse every day. Even with eating well (Selcon soaked nori, LRS Reef Frenzy in the morning, and LRS Herbivore Frenzy in the evening), I was noticing the white spreading on the face and sides, some indents on the head, the dorsal fin having the chunks missing, and ribs becoming visible. I'm hoping I can take this direct approach to finding the root cause for this guy.

In my QT tank with the lights off, I don't see HLLE at all. But under the Blue Lights in the DT, it's very obvious. So just trying to take my time with this and be patient. I thought the HLLE looking symptoms would get better, but it just wasn't moving in that direction after almost a month of observation.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back