Yellow Tang mouth open, not eating

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad

My captive bred yellow tang is in QT and was doing great since i got him when he was very tiny about 4-5 months ago. He was in my DT until I had an invert bring in velvet and moved all my fish to QT. Copper power 1.75 ppm starting 12/21 never flinched always did great. Removed from copper after 4 weeks. Last week I noted him breathing rapidly so I dosed prazi in case of flukes. Yesterday he stopped eating and his mouth appears to be always open. He can still close the mouth at times. All other fish in QT are well and eating. SG 1.026 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, temp 76F, large powerhead pointed at surface for agitation. Good amount of water flow. Not eating nori, frozen food, seaweed extreme pellets (prior favorite) I dosed general cure last night. His breathing seems slight better today but still not eating. I’m not sure if there is oral swelling/edema. I don’t see any foreign body inside the mouth. There is a rabbit fish in the tank, his best bud, who is fine. I was worried about an accidental sting from the rabbit fish but not sure how likely that it. There are no skin lesions. Haven’t seen feces. All other fish clean skin with normal behavior.

I’ve seen several other prior posts about the mouth apparently being stuck open. Since I’ve seen him close his mouth I don’t think it’s a mechanical issue. Perhaps oxygenation. I’m doing heavy aeration as above. Was considering adding furan for bacteria but there is currently not any evidence of bacterial infection. Anybody have any ideas?

LINK TO VIDEO

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in QT?
-You could try leaving the lights off for a day or two, he may be stressed due to anything new going on.
-Getting some kind of garlic extract to add to the food usually helps stimulate the appetite.
How big is QT vs DT? He may be realizing he doesn't have as much room to swim, and is "freaking out" about it.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for response.
Been in QT since 12/21 (DT fallow) but was never I’ll until now.

nothing new has been added, no new fish or equipment.

QT is 65 gallon, he has plenty of swimming room and lots of current. DT is 150g

he was fine in QT for more than 6 weeks. Thanks again for your input!

How long has he been in QT?
-You could try leaving the lights off for a day or two, he may be stressed due to anything new going on.
-Getting some kind of garlic extract to add to the food usually helps stimulate the appetite.
How big is QT vs DT? He may be realizing he doesn't have as much room to swim, and is "freaking out" about it.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for response.
Been in QT since 12/21 (DT fallow) but was never I’ll until now.

nothing new has been added, no new fish or equipment.

QT is 65 gallon, he has plenty of swimming room and lots of current. DT is 150g

he was fine in QT for more than 6 weeks. Thanks again for your input!
That's kind of odd, but I've noticed Tangs do have odd behaviors at times. For instance: I have a Blue Tang who likes to hang out with my blue damsel and not the other Tangs, and he thinks he can fit under anything.
I would definitely try going lights out or adding garlic extract to the food.

Another thing to do would give a freshwater dip, he may have flukes or something. There's plenty of articles on how to do that on here.

Keep us updated, I hope this helps.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of odd, but I've noticed Tangs do have odd behaviors at times. For instance: I have a Blue Tang who likes to hang out with my blue damsel and not the other Tangs, and he thinks he can fit under anything.
I would definitely try going lights out or adding garlic extract to the food.

Another thing to do would give a freshwater dip, he may have flukes or something. There's plenty of articles on how to do that on here.

Keep us updated, I hope this helps.
Thanks. Tank already treated a prazi pro and now has general cure going so I think this would take care of flukes no?

yes it is weird. I almost feel like there is swelling inside his mouth. Externally it appears normal. I can try lights out.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Tank already treated a prazi pro and now has general cure going so I think this would take care of flukes no?

yes it is weird. I almost feel like there is swelling inside his mouth. Externally it appears normal. I can try lights out.
There are some flukes that are resistant to prazi. I would definitely work on trying to get him to eat before doing anything else. Im not really sure what else to try. I've ran into similar problems before, and it unfortunately never turned out good but it also wasn't ever a Tang that presented this problem either. Mostly angels.

Stege_saurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check this out. It's a pictorial guide to different diseases.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check this out. It's a pictorial guide to different diseases.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’ve got every food known to man so I’ll keep trying.
There are some flukes that are resistant to prazi. I would definitely work on trying to get him to eat before doing anything else. Im not really sure what else to try. I've ran into similar problems before, and it unfortunately never turned out good but it also wasn't ever a Tang that presented this problem either. Mostly angels.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed anything unusual with the fish poop? Sometimes when a fish gets "backed up" it like us, we don't like to eat. Consider dosing the tank with plain USP epsom salts, it will act like a laxative. Sometimes when dosing with General Cure or Prazipro + metro, the worms/parasites within the fish die and get backed up and need a bit of help to get things going again. Another method is to briefly boil green peas just until the skin will peel off. Then feed to the fish. If all goes well . . . woosh. Can also consider dosing the tank with Kanaplex. This is a good idea for a couple of reasons. One if the fish's gut is developing a bacterial infection the antibiotic quality of Kanaplex will help, but Kanaplex can also act as a laxative as a side effect.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed anything unusual with the fish poop? Sometimes when a fish gets "backed up" it like us, we don't like to eat. Consider dosing the tank with plain USP epsom salts, it will act like a laxative. Sometimes when dosing with General Cure or Prazipro + metro, the worms/parasites within the fish die and get backed up and need a bit of help to get things going again. Another method is to briefly boil green peas just until the skin will peel off. Then feed to the fish. If all goes well . . . woosh. Can also consider dosing the tank with Kanaplex. This is a good idea for a couple of reasons. One if the fish's gut is developing a bacterial infection the antibiotic quality of Kanaplex will help, but Kanaplex can also act as a laxative as a side effect.
Ya I thought about dosing epsom salt. Have you done this with success. I haven’t seen the fish poop so he could be backed up. Can try the peas idea as well once his appetite picks back up. He picked at nori today slightly so maybe improving somewhat. Thanks for tips.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I thought about dosing epsom salt. Have you done this with success. I haven’t seen the fish poop so he could be backed up. Can try the peas idea as well once his appetite picks back up. He picked at nori today slightly so maybe improving somewhat. Thanks for tips.
Yes, and the results can be quite, well, spectacular, if you know what I mean. ;)
1 tablespoon of epsom salts per 5 gallons of tank water. Can re dose once.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online I’ve found several other reports of similar situations. It appears in some cases it resolves for unclear reasons. The fish picked at some nori slightly today. If doesn’t improve somewhat tomorrow will need to make some moves to treat gill parasite vs bacterial infection vs oral lymphocytsis.

Most recent video

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update this AM. Tang is breathing much better, less flaring of the gills and appears more relaxed. Mouth still open more than normal but he is able to close it to bite on things and has been picking on some nori. Wont eat LRS or algae pellets or mysis still. But looking better. Still unclear what is going on. Treatment so far only general cure 2 nights ago. Already went through 4 weeks copper power @ 1.75 hanna checker. No lesions on skin.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Big G
I dosed epsom salt tonight. Still mouth open. Pecking at nori slightly. He gets some food In mouth and spits it out. I’m thinking there is an obstruction or swelling inside preventing him from eating. Hoping the swelling will come down with epsom salt dose. Will eval in the morning. Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any bristleworms in your tank? I've seen some pretty nasty infections from fish taking a bite of those worms.
Have also seen a parasitic isopod that make its home in a fish's mouth. Nasty little creatures.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any bristleworms in your tank? I've seen some pretty nasty infections from fish taking a bite of those worms.
Have also seen a parasitic isopod that make its home in a fish's mouth. Nasty little creatures.
No it’s a QT, only has fish and already run through copper so there’s definitely no inverts. Humblefish said is possible to get Lympho in their mouth (but I don’t see evidence of this), another possibility is the fish ate something that damaged the internal tissue causing swelling or scarring. Or something he has been exposed to has caused oral swelling. Jury is still out.

OP
OP
Reef AquaCult

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang ate I think 2 Mysis shrimp tonight. Much more vigorous feeding. Mouth still open but maybe not as wide. Attacks food but spits a lot of it out still. Hoping it continues to improve tomorrow.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider trying to make your fish a "smoothie." A mix of frozen food cubes like mysis, brine shrimp, chopped clams, fish eggs, algae cubes, etc. I usually use 7-8 different cubes. Place one of each in a dish. Place into the fridge and allow the cubes to "slump (melt)". Strain off the excess fluid. Can add a drop or two of vitamins and highly recommend adding some Beta Glucan. BG supercharges the fish's immune system. The mix will keep well in the fridge for a few days. My fish love it. And it gives them a wider variety of proteins, fats and vitamins.

Here's some info on BG:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back