OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just swapped my 300 gallon system over to a 600g. Stress induced disease? All my other tangs looks and are fine. But this seems sudden as he was fine yesterday.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you by chance tested your water (I assume since the other fish are ok - that its not an issue). A couple thoughts - 1) could it have been injured with transferring. 2) Could you get a picture with white light? 3) This partly looks like stress coloration - i.e. the lights just coming on - or fear, etc. Are there any other symptoms - breathing, etc etc? I'm sure @vetteguy53081 will weigh in.

OP
OP
Aere

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you by chance tested your water (I assume since the other fish are ok - that its not an issue). A couple thoughts - 1) could it have been injured with transferring. 2) Could you get a picture with white light? 3) This partly looks like stress coloration - i.e. the lights just coming on - or fear, etc. Are there any other symptoms - breathing, etc etc? I'm sure @vetteguy53081 will weigh in.
He’ was breathing heavy. He just got trapped under a rock and I tried to move him. His body went into convulsions and he stopped breathing and died unfortunately. It did look like he had other tangs barb marks on him. Maybe someone was getting territorial in new tank? Tested parameters yesterday and everything was fine. Testing again shortly just to make sure.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to hear that.

It looks like either a bacterial issue which is unlikely due to the swiftness of onset, or like it was getting the snot beat out of it which you would have been able to notice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He’ was breathing heavy. He just got trapped under a rock and I tried to move him. His body went into convulsions and he stopped breathing and died unfortunately. It did look like he had other tangs barb marks on him. Maybe someone was getting territorial in new tank? Tested parameters yesterday and everything was fine. Testing again shortly just to make sure.
Sorry to hear!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ive seen this quite a few times on tangs and not stress, at least in part but is Bacterial and Gram negative which acts faster and often you will see these patches as well as red streaks on fins, heavy breathing, cloudy eyes and requires treatment with Seachem Kanaplex or nitrofurazone which is often too late based on progression of the condition.
Sorry for loss , knowing yellow tangs are like gold in this hobby.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Arent you shoveling? We got hit with yet another dump of snow.
I would think poor Mn always gets it worse. I just got done

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arent you shoveling? We got hit with yet another dump of snow.
I would think poor Mn always gets it worse. I just got done
It's sunny and 45 here:). BTW - Are you sure you meant fembendazole? - thats normally a dewormer? And BTW 2 - I thought you were in FL?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's sunny and 45 here:). BTW - Are you sure you meant fembendazole? - thats normally a dewormer? And BTW 2 - I thought you were in FL?
Not yet-FL. . . . We have damage from Sept 29 and was told Jan-Feb before they got to us. I called in Early February and he said they are extremely short on materials. Im not worried about the roof which is tucked and windows which some broke but we had 3" of water and he expects Mold and new subflooring and then the tile which is the major issue right now. He's calling with an update April 4th which is quickly approaching

I see spell check got me- nitrofurazone

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back