Yellow Tang not eating

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang has been eating like a champ, but for the past 4 days, it just seems a little off.

It has not eaten as well as it has before. It seems to peck at only smaller flakes and if there are any larger flakes / nori, it would not bother. Ny first suspicion is that it might have bitten on bristleworm and possibly hurting its mouth. Just last week my Bangai Cardinal has a cut lip so not sure how he got that!

It's swimming near my shrimps alot, hoping to get a clean from the shrimps.

Could internal parasites be one of the problems? I have metro and focus. Just wondering if it would be wise to bind the food and feed into my DT containing coral?

It's starting to look thin so would like advice in what I should try firsT!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could internal parasites be one of the problems? I have metro and focus. Just wondering if it would be wise to bind the food and feed into my DT containing coral?
Sounds like a great move. If you can source it, General Cure has both prazi + metro and covers a wider range of internal parasites.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank and how long have you had the yellow tang? anything new added to the tank recently?
Tank is about 8 months in. Only thing I changed prior to this change in the yellow tang
1) i fragged since zoas and maybe the glue was eaten?
2) i started using red sea peo salt

Sounds like a great move. If you can source it, General Cure has both prazi + metro and covers a wider range of internal parasites.

Do you suggest i use general cure to soak the food?
I'm going to assume it would not be wise to dose DT with general cure with all my coral?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix food + General Cure + Focus and carefully target feed the fish as long as you use a turkey baster to siphon any uneaten food.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix food + General Cure + Focus and carefully target feed the fish as long as you use a turkey baster to siphon any uneaten food.
I've just realised i Have run out of focus. I'll be catching the tang and placing in qt with metroplex dosed first thing

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying to catch the yellow tang for 3 hours. Ive finally caught it. But it came at a cost. I must have bumped a rock and it pinned one is my clown fish and is now fighting for survival.

Yellow tang is now in my qt and I have dosed it with metroplex directly into the water. Generally how quick should the medication take to work? Just so I have a guideline to work with.

As per instructions i will re-dose in 2 days.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can sub with gelatin or agar.

I'll be going to the supermarket to get some gelatin tomorrow, as I am reading that feeding it metroplex might be more beneficial?

My understanidng is that gelatin will set into a gel. I''ll add garlic guard to help entice tang to eat.

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang in quarantine and looking very lethargic. Still won't eat.
Had a few nibbles at garlic guard with seaweed, I thought I had hope, but it's completely lost interest.

Metroplex treated for 2 whole days, you'd think it would get better than worst. All my fish in the DT are still eating fine so if it's internal parasites some of the fish would have gotten it too.

Have been reading so much about this common thing with tangs suddenly stopped eating after being so healthy and a ferocious eater. There has to be a common theme.

I am starting to think that I did not give enough nori as its main diet.

Really want to get him out of my smaller QT and let him just try explore the DT where it's more his habitat.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back