Yellow Tang quarantine issues

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I recently purchased this little guy and after keeping him in quarantine in cooper (coopersafe) he started to develop Hlle. I replaced all the water to remove cooper (over few days) but now noticed that white thing on his head. Is it possible that its a burn from a heather? It was lower in the tank and he like to hide underneath when he got scared. the spot is also dark in color as you can see from the pictures.

thank you for your help.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters get blamed for burning fish, but really, the fish would have to be pressed tightly against it in order to be burned, the surrounding water pulls the heat from the tube so fast, unless you cover it tightly, there isn't enough heat to cause a burn.

I don't see much (any) HLLE, yellow tangs show this a bit differently than other species do, more fin erosion.

How long have you had the fish? Any other fish in the tank with it? What is the ammonia level like right now?

What is see is an injury or a bacterial infection (or both). Did it show up all of a sudden, or did it grow larger over a few days? Could it have gotten frightened when you were working on the tank and run into a rock?

Jay

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heaters get blamed for burning fish, but really, the fish would have to be pressed tightly against it in order to be burned, the surrounding water pulls the heat from the tube so fast, unless you cover it tightly, there isn't enough heat to cause a burn.

I don't see much (any) HLLE, yellow tangs show this a bit differently than other species do, more fin erosion.

How long have you had the fish? Any other fish in the tank with it? What is the ammonia level like right now?

What is see is an injury or a bacterial infection (or both). Did it show up all of a sudden, or did it grow larger over a few days? Could it have gotten frightened when you were working on the tank and run into a rock?

Jay
+1

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help everyone.
I purchased if on September 11 there is also a wrasse with her in the tank. Ammonia is 0, I do water changes every other day. Her bumping into something makes sense she is scared of everything. The good thing is they both have great appetite so hopefuly she will heal soon :)

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again, Unfortunately he is getting worse, now he has a big white spot on his belly. Any idea what is happening to him and what medication should I use?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well combining furan-2 plus kanaplex and metroplex is a really good combo if you dont know what infection you are treating for its called the trifecta

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well combining furan-2 plus kanaplex and metroplex is a really good combo if you dont know what infection you are treating for its called the trifecta
Thank you again, all medication has been ordered. I called My LFS but they don't have it in stock :(

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the meds were added on Monday but the poor guy is looking worse everyday .

My wrasse doesn't show any symptoms and is doing great. Should I remove him from that tank?

Let me add that the yellow tang is still eating but he spends all his time on front of the power head and its getting skinnier and skinnier because of that. I assume its some kind of bacterial infection and high flow makes him feel better?

In 12 years of reefing I never had a fish that was sick like that during quarantine. Yes I had some die but never got that sick :(.

#reefsquad @Jay Hemdal @Qasimja

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry, that looks much worse. The trouble is, even the correct antibiotic will take around three days to slow the infection and 5 to 7 days to begin to reverse it. @Qasimja gave you solid advice, what is your dosing schedule now? I would stay the course with those meds and just feed it as much as you can (avoiding ammonia issues of course).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
water quality will also play an important role here. Assure your water is within proper values:

salinity 1.024-1.025
temp 77-79
ph 8.0-8.3
verify Ammonia and Nitrate

Also that erosion seems to occuring quickly. What other fish do you have in tank as it appears aggression is playing a role. Wrasse is possible but wondering what else in the tank

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sorry, that looks much worse. The trouble is, even the correct antibiotic will take around three days to slow the infection and 5 to 7 days to begin to reverse it. @Qasimja gave you solid advice, what is your dosing schedule now? I would stay the course with those meds and just feed it as much as you can (avoiding ammonia issues of course).

Jay
I started the treatment yesterday so acording to the directions next dose will be tomorrow. I will probably do 20% water change too.

OP
OP
drukkosz

drukkosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water quality will also play an important role here. Assure your water is within proper values:

salinity 1.024-1.025
temp 77-79
ph 8.0-8.3
verify Ammonia and Nitrate

Also that erosion seems to occuring quickly. What other fish do you have in tank as it appears aggression is playing a role. Wrasse is possible but wondering what else in the tank
Yes the water is within proper values, tested every two days. Only the wrasse is in the tank with the tang. I have notice no aggression, actually they were buddies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back