Yellow Tang - sick or irritated? photos - nervous fish mom

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm just a nervous fish mom, but I'd like opinions. This fish has been and remains fat, active and healthy until recently... but bit red still and tip of tail burgundy.

Don't have photos of blotches, and blotches healed but area where blotches were located is still slightly reddish discoloration. Now dark red/burgundy at end of tail. Tail may look frayed in photo, but not frayed that is just the deep red/burgundy of whatever is still going on with fish. Photos under white light. Because tail end edge is new, now think whatever is going on morphing. Maybe an irritation? If so my thoughts at bottom. Maybe a disease? If so I didn't see anything similar (there is a LOT out there, suggestion bacterial and clear itself up) and so seek knowledge.

There isn't much aggression these days in our tank since sailfin was rehomed early this year. Flame angel likely biggest bully, but its spread out so much no one fish of about 22 really takes the brunt of flame angel aggression, but if anyone does instead its either tie between blue tang or copperband butterfly (both have grown to same size as flame angel who is full grown). Yellow tang is mellow compared to most, likely because of yellow's time with sailfin tang when they and Flame were Death Dealer squad (pleased that phase is over with removal of sailfin).

Water parameters:
nitrates 27.2
phosphate .23
alk 8.4
calc 510
ph 8.1
mag 1250
temp 78
salinity 1.025

Background and random details that maybe relevant (or not):
About 3 weeks ago, rockwork moved in our tank and about that time noticed blotches on yellow tang. Redish blotches more on one side than on the other side. Speculation was rockwork in front of yellow tang sleeping cave fell in on yellow tang and perhaps red sailfin fairy wrasse. Introduced tiara anthias about Christmas, after yellow tang injury (if its an injury).

About Christmas, red sailfin fairy wrasse died. I never saw it, after lights out BF thought it was sleeping on/in sand but hindsight perhaps dead and diamond goby buried dead wrasse because of diamond goby moves lots of sand just because it can. Once I couldn't find wrasse, dug around in sand where BF indicated, but couldn't find body to do any diagnosis (hasn't been seen - maybe CUC including bristleworms ate wrasse). Wrasse had been FAT and healthy right up until disappeared.

Before Christmas, right side clownfish began spawning and about every week and a half they lay more eggs. Fry hatch after dark; gone by morning.

We rearranged rockwork to make more secure.

Tiara anthias had been given two rounds of precautionary prazi and copper treatment in advance of buying and bringing home and acclimating to tank (but it was introduced AFTER whatever started).

Early November princess and favio anthias arrived after 2 month TSM Aquatics quarantine (extra long as I went on travel); special order begun Spring 2021. This could be most likely introduction of something bacterial, but with a six week waiting period makes it seem unlikely.

22 fish mostly small in 180 gallon all eat well, including yellow tang. Bits of what is listed are cut up to cover bottom of Red Sea AB+ cup, so while it sounds like alot (and we do fight high nitrates, phosphates (see above) & algae), its just that thawed food about noon and 5pm. Frozen: Spirulina Mysis, LRS Reef Frenzy, Rods Food, PE Cal Pods,... more. Occasional splash of Reef Nutrition either R.O.E. and Arti Pods. Pellets: TDO extra small ChromaBoost. Live: aquaculture Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods, AlgaeBarn EcoPods, AlgaGen Apocyclops Pods (which eat spirulina and some live phyto) and black worms (which eat Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes and generic white Instant Potato Flakes). Food clip available all day for browse eating (mostly yellow tang, but others too) holds either Red Nori (dry), Green Nori (dry), or Red Ogo (live, from sump refugium)

In addition to fish additions and my own cultures of pods, there have been infusions of pods directly to main tank throughout this by all the major Pod sellers (doubt whatever going on was introduced thru pod introductions). Given fish stores procedures doubt whatever going on is fish introductions (did loose 1 of 3 princess anthias shortly after early November arrival).

Mostly, I suspect our phosphate and nitrate control measures. Running reactors with Kolar labs bio pellets, Brightwell Xport PO4 cubes, and BioDigest Probiotics www.prodibio.com ... and tonight is the first *I* am reading the box, know BF adding 2 vials every 15 days... which treats up to 500 gallons but we have 180 gallons and sensitive yellow tang...

IF NO ONE HAS IDEAS I am going to have him cut back or cut out the relatively new BioDigest Probiotics. I'd rather not medicate yellow tang unless it really is something. Know yellow tang did not take ReefFlux (flatworm treatment) well and vacation in QT while rest of tank did treatment early Spring this year. I read the yellow tangs do not take well to medication. This fish has been fat, active and healthy until recently and REMAINS fat, active and healthy except for discoloration on body and now new edge of tail tips.

About October my BF took over tank water parameter testing, and our numbers (esp phosphates and nitrates) have improved and more importantly finally stabilized likely from his addition of media reactors as well as daily manual dosing of alkalinity for our corals. We cut out AB+ and I cut down on quantities of lunch and dinner food but kept variety. I've been changing dual return filter socks every day. We were using Vibrant but that ended about 2 weeks ago and macroalgae in sump are doing MUCH better (likely would have again lost them as byproduct of Vibrant, but no more Vibrant.)

IMG_0591.JPG IMG_0592.JPG IMG_0593.JPG IMG_0594.JPG IMG_0595.JPG IMG_0596.JPG IMG_0597.JPG IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Might you look at my fish and advise? Given it is so healthy and active, unlikely I can catch fish IF I did need to remove for medication (IF it needs medication)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Might you look at my fish and advise? Given it is so healthy and active, unlikely I can catch fish IF I did need to remove for medication (IF it needs medication)
I had to read this twice as you have lots of activity lol
You are correct in with the use of Red Sea A&B, it will accelarate your no3 and po4 which you experienced. I would suggest adding a pouch of ChemiPure Blue to further keep it in check. Regarding ther tang, Ive seen this all too often and its main occurence is from A sudden drop in salinity such as water change or low salininty causing septicemia along with a vitamin deficiency. Not sure what foods you are feeding. With the foods, you can add Furan 2 + Kanoplex to food only and along with good water quality at salinity level 1.025 should get tang back to yellow coloration.

Some foods I recommend as I have 17 tangs are :

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

1641662829791.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail edge tip seems less burgundy this morning.

interesting about salinity dip, but we use an ATO and every weekend for salinity we test tank, test water change water, then retest tank after water change to ensure salinity. That's also when ALL the other water parameters get tested. We just tested refractometer using its solution and didn't need recalibrated. Tank did dip from 35 to 34 over this week, but we're mixing saltwater a touch heavier to bring back up to 34 today. Thanks!

2x Day Foods (from above) - mostly fish eat thawed frozen food and black worms :
  • Frozen 2x day:
    • added photo
    • Hikari Spirulina Mysis
    • LRS Reef Frenzy
    • Rods Food
    • Piscene PE Calanus (pods)
    • Piscene PE Mysis
    • San Francisco Fish Eggs
    • Hikari Rotifers
    • more...
  • Live 2-3x day:
    • pods (I culture, feeding mostly spirulina and some live phyto)
      • Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods
      • AlgaeBarn EcoPods (4 pod types)
      • AlgaGen Apocyclops Pods
    • black worms
      • which I feed Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes and generic white Instant Potato Flakes
  • Food clip all day browsing:
    • Red Nori (dry)
    • Green Nori (dry)
    • Red Ogo (live, from sump refugium)
  • Liquid 4x week (varies):
    • Reef Nutrition R.O.E. (fish eggs)
    • Reef Nutrition Arti Pods
  • Pellets 4x week (varies):
    • TDO ChromaBoost extra small
    • Ocean Nutrition Forumula Two small
    • Ocean Nutrition Forumula Two medium
Really appreciate you took time to consider what is up with my fish - YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!!! If you @vetteguy53081 ever swing thru Dallas Fort Worth, let me know as we'd love to take you to dinner.

Attachments

• Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
    Frozen Food as of 2021-05-13.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 28

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tail edge tip seems less burgundy this morning.

interesting about salinity dip, but we use an ATO and every weekend for salinity we test tank, test water change water, then retest tank after water change to ensure salinity. That's also when ALL the other water parameters get tested. We just tested refractometer using its solution and didn't need recalibrated. Tank did dip from 35 to 34 over this week, but we're mixing saltwater a touch heavier to bring back up to 34 today. Thanks!

2x Day Foods (from above) - mostly fish eat thawed frozen food and black worms :
  • Frozen 2x day:
    • added photo
    • Hikari Spirulina Mysis
    • LRS Reef Frenzy
    • Rods Food
    • Piscene PE Calanus (pods)
    • Piscene PE Mysis
    • San Francisco Fish Eggs
    • Hikari Rotifers
    • more...
  • Live 2-3x day:
    • pods (I culture, feeding mostly spirulina and some live phyto)
      • Reef Nutrition Tigger Pods
      • AlgaeBarn EcoPods (4 pod types)
      • AlgaGen Apocyclops Pods
    • black worms
      • which I feed Ocean Nutrition Formula Two Flakes and generic white Instant Potato Flakes
  • Food clip all day browsing:
    • Red Nori (dry)
    • Green Nori (dry)
    • Red Ogo (live, from sump refugium)
  • Liquid 4x week (varies):
    • Reef Nutrition R.O.E. (fish eggs)
    • Reef Nutrition Arti Pods
  • Pellets 4x week (varies):
    • TDO ChromaBoost extra small
    • Ocean Nutrition Forumula Two small
    • Ocean Nutrition Forumula Two medium
Really appreciate you took time to consider what is up with my fish - YOU ARE SIMPLY THE BEST!!! If you @vetteguy53081 ever swing thru Dallas Fort Worth, let me know as we'd love to take you to dinner.
Overall, diet sufficient. If not already add garlic and vitamins to foods. Salinity 35ppt ideal.

OP
OP
Fish Think Pink

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang has returned to normal with no discoloration anywhere...

Appreciate everyone's time and thoughts. Guess I was a nervous fish mom after all...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back