Yellow tang swimming vertical at times. semi emergency maybe?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just today one of my yellow tangs started swimming vertically for brief periods . It almost looks like it is posturing. Kind of looks like my clown when she is spawning. The video shows it mostly in the corner but it does do it in the middle of the tank. Some times it flares its fins that really looks like posturing. I also noticed it is pretty much staying in the one half of the tank and not swimming past half way. It does do it when one of the other tangs are not near also. I just fed and it ate. That's when I noticed it. All other fish are normal. I've never seen this behavior so need to know if its something I need to be concerned about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just today one of my yellow tangs started swimming vertically for brief periods . It almost looks like it is posturing. Kind of looks like my clown when she is spawning. The video shows it mostly in the corner but it does do it in the middle of the tank. Some times it flares its fins that really looks like posturing. I also noticed it is pretty much staying in the one half of the tank and not swimming past half way. It does do it when one of the other tangs are not near also. I just fed and it ate. That's when I noticed it. All other fish are normal. I've never seen this behavior so need to know if its something I need to be concerned about.

This fish has one of two things- At first I thought irritation from possible flukes or velvet but I am going to switch that thought to what appears to be a buoyancy issue. This often occurs from either a swim bladder infection or bladder that is filled with gas. Has fish lost its' appetite?
Often a fish will have a bloated or distended belly which is questioning the behavior however the compression of its stomach area where the swim bladder is will cause distension as it looks somewhat thin.
What foods are you offering ?

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish has one of two things- At first I thought irritation from possible flukes or velvet but I am going to switch that thought to what appears to be a buoyancy issue. This often occurs from either a swim bladder infection or bladder that is filled with gas. Has fish lost its' appetite?
Often a fish will have a bloated or distended belly which is questioning the behavior however the compression of its stomach area where the swim bladder is will cause distension as it looks somewhat thin.
What foods are you offering ?

The fish came out of qt about 2 weeks ago where it went through copper for 30 days. There is a second one in the tank that went through qt with it. I feed nori, ocean nutrition formula one and two pellets, and PE mysys being heavy on the mysys. Minimums 2 times a day. I fed some mysys just a moment ago and it appeared to eat a few peices. It's really strange that it goes vertical at almost the same places and it will not swim past the center of the tank. I've added another video showing all of its swim area.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Could it be aggressively posturing to its reflection in the glass?
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish came out of qt about 2 weeks ago where it went through copper for 30 days. There is a second one in the tank that went through qt with it. I feed nori, ocean nutrition formula one and two pellets, and PE mysys being heavy on the mysys. Minimums 2 times a day. I fed some mysys just a moment ago and it appeared to eat a few peices. It's really strange that it goes vertical at almost the same places and it will not swim past the center of the tank. I've added another video showing all of its swim area.

Diet very inadequate and its missing fats and aminos. Fish is a herbivore and should get a variety such as :
Formula 2 frozen
LRS herbivore diet
small plankton
chopped krill
Prime reef
Hikari veggie diet

Also add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally for overall stamina and garlic extract for immunity health

Now dont go out and get all these but I have 20 tangs alone and they get a variety which consists of:

food1.jpg

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diet very inadequate and its missing fats and aminos. Fish is a herbivore and should get a variety such as :
Formula 2 frozen
LRS herbivore diet
small plankton
chopped krill
Prime reef
Hikari veggie diet

Also add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally for overall stamina and garlic extract for immunity health

Now dont go out and get all these but I have 20 tangs alone and they get a variety which consists of:

food1.jpg
I'm confused by your variety of frozen foods. Most of them l look at have very little nutritional value. I look at the contents of many and they have 3 or 4 percent protein and very little fat. PE mysys on the other hand list 69.5 percent protein and over 8 percent fat. I would think a diet centering around one item that provides good nutritional value value would be better than a varied diet with very little nutritional value. Maybe I'm missing something :thinking-face:

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be aggressively posturing to its reflection in the glass?
Jay
Thank Jay. I wondered that at first. I had never seen any of my tangs so this before so I was pretty alarmed. It continued for a little while after lights out with room ambient lighting low then it retired to its night time spot. I fed this morning and it was out eating. It's not an aggressive eater but it did eat. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and post back here if it starts and other concerning behavior.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not normal behaviour for a tang. I can't tell whats wrong with him from here but I feel it is more than diet or flukes.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not normal behaviour for a tang. I can't tell whats wrong with him from here but I feel it is more than diet or flukes.
I didn't think it was normal but I'm still learning. They were treated for flukes when they went through QT. Doubt it's diet either. It gets the same food as the other tangs that I have had for over 6 years and they are as fat as can be. Never had a case of hlle in any tang either and I believe good nutrition helps prevent that but I may be wrong.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not crazy about any of the diets listed here but it is not diet. It shouldn't swim like that if you only fed it saw dust.

Even flukes would cause him to scratch but not usually up side down.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not crazy about any of the diets listed here but it is not diet. It shouldn't swim like that if you only fed it saw dust.

Even flukes would cause him to scratch but not usually up side down.
I know you don't like tangs (I'm up to page 63 of your birthday thread;) ) but if you kept them what would you feed them? They did get fresh oysters this morning. Well not fresh like you would get but still alive and in the shell.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Esnisstech (if that is your real name) :) I do actually have a hippo tang. They are about the only ones I like......
Oh wait I also have a Tomini tang, I forgot because he is so tiny.

If you are feeding fresh or semi fresh oysters, you are good to go. Don't listen to anyone, oysters are the best food. I eat them myself. :p

I still have no idea from here what is wrong with your yellow tang, but unfortunately, I don't think he has long for this world no matter what you do.......Sorry.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Esnisstech (if that is your real name) :) I do actually have a hippo tang. They are about the only ones I like......

If you are feeding fresh or semi fresh oysters, you are good to go. Don't listen to anyone, oysters are the best food. I eat them myself. :p

I still have no idea from here what is wrong with your yellow tang, but unfortunately, I don't think he has long for this world no matter what you do.......Sorry.
I have no idea what's going on so I guess I'll just watch and see. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what's going on so I guess I'll just watch and see. Thanks

I still eat raw oysters, but many of my public aquarium peeps do not. Vibrio vulnificus is the primary concern. It causes food poisoning in people and marine mammals. Only the V. vulnificus "bio group 2" causes disease in fish, but I have no idea how to tell them apart. Vibrio parahaemolyticus and V. cholerae are also found in bad oysters and it do cause disease in fishes. Most reports are from eels in culture, but that is probably a function of what food fishes are studied.

Jay

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still eat raw oysters, but many of my public aquarium peeps do not. Vibrio vulnificus is the primary concern.
Jay thats because you are a Man. My family has seafood businesses since the Roman Empire and I grew up on raw oysters and clams. I would eat them after finding them off the back of my boat like M&Ms. I eat them a few times a month, no problems yet unless that Vibrio Vulnificus makes you lose your hair. :thinking-face:

Maybe the raw shellfish gives me my immunity. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe I dodged a bullet. Fish seems to be back to normal

It's the larger one right? I didn't realize that you had two in that tank, I think that would make my idea of glass surfing its reflection as a territorial issue less likely - seems like it would have gone after the other YT in that case.

What about some transient issue like a bolus of algae/nori in its gut? Did the issue resolve suddenly, or gradually over time?

Jay

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the larger one right? I didn't realize that you had two in that tank, I think that would make my idea of glass surfing its reflection as a territorial issue less likely - seems like it would have gone after the other YT in that case.

What about some transient issue like a bolus of algae/nori in its gut? Did the issue resolve suddenly, or gradually over time?

Jay
It is the smaller one that had the concern. It started loosing color as well as the odd swim behavior. I decided to just leave it in the tank rather than causing all the fish stress trying to net it in the 6ft tank. It acted strange for a couple of days then when lights came on one morning out it came acting normal again. Color good and it's eating. It's strange because even when it was swimming vertical it still showed interest in food tho I'm not sure it was actually eating. I'm just glad I didn't freak out and try to place it in a hospital tank as the stress may have made matters worse.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back