Yellow Tang White Patch

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang is currently in QT. I am currently in the process of trying out this whole "Ich Eradication" scheme in an effort to keep healthier fish;

With that being said, I am relatively new to QT. I have done it with the 6 fish that are in my tank, but my Yellow Tang is looking worse for wear after copper treatment. Pics to come. The following is my treatment plan.

Minimum 14 Days, up to 30 days in Copper, using Cupramine at levels between 0.25-0.5 ppm copper. Testing now with a hanna checker.

7 day PraziPro Treatment, followed by another PraziPro Treatment.

Run carbon 7 days to remove remaining medications, fish gets acclimate then added to DT

For whatever reason, after 2 days in copper, my yellow tang looks like this. This white spot developed out of nowhere on what was the healthiest yellow tang I've ever seen. I believe it's HLLE but I want to confirm with some other people.

PXL_20210126_032455658.MP~2.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like HLLE, in YT, HLLE causes skin erosion and fin damage, but not a color change. Tangs sometimes produce excess mucus when being dosed with copper, but in this case, localized to one area, I don't think that is the issue. That leaves me to think it is a minor bacterial infection. If it doesn't grow in size or spread, I wouldn't treat it. Be prepared though, if it does, to treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic. The main thing with YT is when they start to show red petechia (spots and lesions). I don't know what causes that, but it can be serious.
Finally, not all carbons remove copper, and those that do, aren't very good at it. Water changes are by far the best way to remove copper post-treatment.

Jay

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow Tang is currently in QT. I am currently in the process of trying out this whole "Ich Eradication" scheme in an effort to keep healthier fish;

With that being said, I am relatively new to QT. I have done it with the 6 fish that are in my tank, but my Yellow Tang is looking worse for wear after copper treatment. Pics to come. The following is my treatment plan.

Minimum 14 Days, up to 30 days in Copper, using Cupramine at levels between 0.25-0.5 ppm copper. Testing now with a hanna checker.

7 day PraziPro Treatment, followed by another PraziPro Treatment.

Run carbon 7 days to remove remaining medications, fish gets acclimate then added to DT

For whatever reason, after 2 days in copper, my yellow tang looks like this. This white spot developed out of nowhere on what was the healthiest yellow tang I've ever seen. I believe it's HLLE but I want to confirm with some other people.

PXL_20210126_032455658.MP~2.jpg
How is your YT doing now? Better?

OP
OP
LikeRichMahogany

LikeRichMahogany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, she's doing great actually;

I was using Cupramine as my copper source, and at the instruction of LFS I used Kordon's amquel to remove ammonia as a preventative. I didn't realize that form of ammonia remover bonded with the copper to make it more toxic, luckily I found some articles here regarding the combination of the two, so I took the yellow tang out of that tank, and set up a fresh QT, and over the last two weeks, she has gotten much healthier and the spots went away!

Treatment is complete, fish is out of QT and looking great!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 32 41.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back