Yellow Tang with Cyanoacrylate on his mouth

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever have this happen before? I was gluing down some corals and noticed my yellow tang tried some. Now his mouth is glued shut! Not all the way but he cannot open it at the moment. I'm in the process of trying to catch him with a trap. Netting him is not an option right now, too much rock. I have a feeling if I can get to him it will pop right off.

Any other suggestions?

20180406_141334.jpg

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a video where a reef angelfish owner got the glue out with a pair of tweezers and some tool that sort of looked like cuticle clippers (it probably was now that I think about it).

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave it, it'll fall off on it's own with time. Much less stressful on the fish.

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you leave it, it'll fall off on it's own with time. Much less stressful on the fish.
That's what I'm hoping for. In the mean time if I can catch him/her I will go that route. Thankfully the fish is swimming and doing its thing right now. Can't be too comfortable but doesn't look overly stressed.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Informative video. Figured I wasn't the only one whose ever had this problem.
Rob.

Last edited:

Scubabum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen 2 weeks ago on my Purple tang. Mouth completely glued shut. 24 hours later it was able to open its mouth and the rest is falling off as each day goes by. I would leave it alone.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. It will typically be fine and fall out on its own accord. So long as the fish can breathe I wouldn’t stress yet :)

OP
OP
rc1626

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much consideration and watching her struggle to get it off I was able to net her. In the process a big chunk came off. I was able to gently clean the rest off with a pair of tweezers. All good again as she immediately began to eat again.
Thank you again for all the help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back