Yellow tang with ich

CivicDemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a lot of fish in the past and I've tried hypo and I've tried just keeping them In the DT and they diddent work for me, I think I'm going to try and put the yellow tang in the QT and use cupramine. Has anyone used cupramine?
Make sure you don't put him back in the DT for atleast 2 months and that's if hes the only fish, if theres other fish in the DT its pointless he will catch it again if he is stressed and all the moving from tank to tank will be a big stress factor.

OP
OP
Boboe77

Boboe77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's inside the QT and he looks fine, i put 1/4 the the dose and gradually up the copper level to the recommended amount. I have a heater running at 79 degrees and I have a small LED light on top. In 48 hours i will dose a little more copper.

OP
OP
Boboe77

Boboe77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I came one and found him laying up against the overflow. I put some food in and he diddent even look at it. Help!

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 38 gallon reef tank with a chromis and royal grama. I'm giving him as much food as he will eat, my nitrates might come up but I'll just do a Waterchange.

Maybe your tang has ich because you put a tang in a 38 gallon. I won't tell you one box is better than another, but your dt, IMO, is too small for a tang.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a Freshwater dip, that will kill off whats on him. Will help unless he's to far gone.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your tang has ich because you put a tang in a 38 gallon. I won't tell you one box is better than another, but your dt, IMO, is too small for a tang.

You know ich is a parasite and not a disease or anything, right? I can put a tang in a 10 gallon tank, and as long as it is treated before it goes in, it will never 'get' ich.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know ich is a parasite and not a disease or anything, right? I can put a tang in a 10 gallon tank, and as long as it is treated before it goes in, it will never 'get' ich.
Oh yes it can. But I've already explained that a few times in other threads, not doing it here.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes it can. But I've already explained that a few times in other threads, not doing it here.
You really don't understand the parasite, do you? Because if you did, you know that what you said is not true. The literature on the parasite is out there, I highly suggest you read it.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure do. Learning the hard way by treating my entire dt with cuppramine after a severe ich outbreak, in a 50 gallon qt tank, not my actual dt. So, yes, after a proper prophylactic methods, and time, you COULD put a tang in a 10 gallon, ich aside. OP, did you qt all your fish, tang included, and if so, for how long? Did you treat with anything? And while we are talking about fish, did you add anything, I mean anything , into your tank that wasn't qt'd in order to rid it of the parasite ich? Water? Cheato? A frag? Other fish?

I'll assume here (*** outta me, I know) that the answer is no to a qt , and yes to any additions. If I'm wrong on both of those, then somebody is lying ...

So at the end of the day, it was bad practice from the beginning. Op, please don't be offended, please note, I'm also currently learning the hard way.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a Freshwater dip, that will kill off whats on him. Will help unless he's to far gone.

I agree. With past experience give him a fresh water dip daily, and if it's real bad, twice per day. Use the copper or similar treatments and make sure he has a good hiding spot to make him as comfortable as possible. Feed him anything he loves best several times per day.

Do you have a cleaner wrasse or shrimp in the main tank ? As far as I feel, they are invaluable for picking off parasites and dead scales, even inside their gills. On the ocean reefs, most fish go to the end of the reef where wrasse's, shrimp and other cleaners set up a cleaner station, even big groupers and trigger that normally eat them for dinner, will let them be cleaned. The clown trigger will actually turn white and turn sideways, letting the cleaner know he wants attention, then turn back to his normal color and flip his tail saying he's done hen swim away. When we had our 200 gallon, we had the clown and the Hawaiian black stripe cleaner wrasse, and was so cool to watch their daily cleaning job.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. With past experience give him a fresh water dip daily, and if it's real bad, twice per day. Use the copper or similar treatments and make sure he has a good hiding spot to make him as comfortable as possible. Feed him anything he loves best several times per day.

Do you have a cleaner wrasse or shrimp in the main tank ? As far as I feel, they are invaluable for picking off parasites and dead scales, even inside their gills. On the ocean reefs, most fish go to the end of the reef where wrasse's, shrimp and other cleaners set up a cleaner station, even big groupers and trigger that normally eat them for dinner, will let them be cleaned. The clown trigger will actually turn white and turn sideways, letting the cleaner know he wants attention, then turn back to his normal color and flip his tail saying he's done hen swim away. When we had our 200 gallon, we had the clown and the Hawaiian black stripe cleaner wrasse, and was so cool to watch their daily cleaning job.

Like I keep saying over and over - read the literature available. Cleaner animals are wholly unable to pick this parasite off of any fish.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Op, nobody is really helping you with your situation at hand, myself included. Jedimasterben, I assure you, I understand ich, and combating it, let's give some solid advice, vs. wrong/bad advice.

Op , if you are at a quarter dose (you have a cuppramine testing kit, right?) you should up it to .50 after 48 hours. Your regular ammonia testing kits won't do, so get an ammonia badge to suction to the side. Ammonia will kill your fish. How often are you changing the water in your qt? Did you sacrifice any live rock? Did you have a sponge to help you start from your dt?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JEDI- lol,....that is so untrue ! I've witnessed myself for many years. Talk with Scott Michael and several others and they'll tell you first hand,... that these fish and shrimp preform a great service on all reefs around the globe. Their interaction is amazing, just like other symbiotic relationships. Tank a dive sometime and see for yourself or watch any coral reef show about their natural ability, as they remove dead skin, scales, parasites, clean their gills, caught food between teeth etc,.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boboe77

Boboe77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My is at 0.11 ppm and i gave him food bud he doesent even look at it, I have a copper test kit and I'm at 1/4 the dose.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JEDI- lol,....that is so untrue ! I've witnessed myself for many years. Talk with Scott Michael and several others and they'll tell you first hand,... that these fish and shrimp preform a great service on all reefs around the globe. Their interaction is amazing, just like other symbiotic relationships. Tank a dive sometime and see for yourself or watch any coral reef show about their natural ability, as they remove dead skin, scales, parasites, clean their gills, caught food between teeth etc,.......
Again, read the literature about the specific parasite we're talking about! The trophonts of Cryptocaryon irritans are embedded too far to be removed by any cleaner organism, unless you think that the cleaner animals should be tearing into the fish to get the parasites off, which would introduce a host of problems on its own.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back