Yellow Tang with Parasite. Ich?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's "probably" good. It looks close to 2.0 to me as well. I swear, whoever created that color comparison chart was color blind! (Or, the rest of us are...)

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks right to me. I use these test kits daily. They are a little off from the color chart, but after a while you get a feel for what color goes with what level.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ruby Reef Rally arriving tomorrow. Is it possible to do another freshwater bath tonight? I did the one fw 5 minute bath last night. Or would that stress give the velvet a stronger hold on their bodies?

They look badly covered under a bit brighter actinics. I've kept the lights off.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ruby Reef Rally arriving tomorrow. Is it possible to do another freshwater bath tonight? I did the one fw 5 minute bath last night. Or would that stress give the velvet a stronger hold on their bodies?

They look badly covered under a bit brighter actinics. I've kept the lights off.

It's a toss up. If they are breathing very heavily and acting lethargic, then it might be less risky to do the freshwater dip than it is to wait until tomorrow. It's a judgement call for you.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the FW dip on the fish that appeared lethargic with heavy breathing. All of the animals seem fine except the Kole Tang. I think I'll lose her tonight. She's laying on her side, not moving and breathing hard. It's been almost two hours since the dip. I'm doubtful she'll survive.

I put an extra air line into the tank. I'm just guessing that more oxygenation might help.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't sleep, so came down stairs to my office, prepared to net the Kole Tang out, but she's still breathing. She's in the same position, on her side. Although she popped up when I put my flashlight on her. I quickly turned the light off and let them sleep.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I lost the Kole Tang. I think my Foxface Lo is not doing well. The Yellow Tang might be looking better. And one of my clowns is not looking so hot. The other animals seem unaffected so far.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
I lost the Kole Tang. I think my Foxface Lo is not doing well. The Yellow Tang might be looking better. And one of my clowns is not looking so hot. The other animals seem unaffected so far.

Sorry to hear that, I hope everyone else can pull thru.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just got the Rally bottle.

6e598aed7da70d76b74f845c924a5ab7.jpg

Of course the dosing directions are covered in tape.

db5c71bb7468b9eb8235c70d0682e757.jpg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So definitely says to dose 30mls per 10 gallons of total saltwater.

A few quick thoughts/questions:

Can I just do this in a heavy foodsafe rubbermaid tub?

75-90 minutes in the bath, fully aerated.

Do i need to wait until the evening for the fish to recuperate 24 hours from the FW they had last night?

I feel the FW was too much stress for the Kole, possibly the Foxface as well.

cb0fc8917f98f0163224cdd42d958ebe.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to wait. You are using the same SG saltwater as they are already in. Make sure the temp matches as well. Rally is fairly mild and may prove a relief to them.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a 75 minute bath with Ruby Reef Rally. I didn't lose any animals over night.

Last night, while they were in the bath, I removed most of the water in the QT. Since I was paranoid about the copper dropping I refilled it back up with fresh made saltwater, in 5 gallon increments, using one 5 gallon tote which I dosed out the same ppm of copper reach time. Then redosed Furan-2. After 75 minutes the fish were quickly placed back in the QT.

Question: How often should I do this bath? This last time I didn't do a FW dip before the bath. The next time I will. I was worried that another fw dip so soon would be too much. Please let me know if I was wrong, considering that this is Velvet.

Thank you everyone,
Isaac

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an odd question, does the type of food I feed need to be considered with Velvet? I fed frozen LRS. Would the parasite eat this as well? Or is this really minimal, or not a concern?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have an odd question, does the type of food I feed need to be considered with Velvet? I fed frozen LRS. Would the parasite eat this as well? Or is this really minimal, or not a concern?
I would just leave them in the copper now and stop with the dips.

As for feeding, nothing you put in the tank other than fish or light will feed Velvet. Unlike Ich, which needs to find a host quickly, Velvet is partially photosynthetic and can survive a week or two while looking for a host.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 the copper is all that is needed now. I would feed often in small amounts to help keep their energy up and immune systems kicking. Vita-chem or selcon added to food can help as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 the copper is all that is needed now. I would feed often in small amounts to help keep their energy up and immune systems kicking. Vita-chem or selcon added to food can help as well.
X3 I agree. I'll add that if a FW dip kills a fish, it was too far gone and would have suffered longer if you hadn't.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.0%

Back