yellow tang with white spots

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, I'am new on this forum, I'am from Colombia and I want to share this Story with you: 2 weeks ago I transfered mi yellow tang to a new 90g system, he was at a 30g for about two months with a ocellaris, since the beginning he eats seaweeds, ocean nutrition flakes and frozen Misys with garlic.

some pictures of the old tank:

during this 2 months he looks healty, then I decided to start a big aquarium to give him more swimming space.

here is a picture of my new system

the first days after the transfer he looks shy and pale but then he start to swimm and eat like before

and here is a picture of the yellow tang on sunday:

Today when I woke Up, he look like this with just actinic lights:

he is actively eating and comes to the front of the glass everytime for food.
he doesn't scratch against rocks or sand.
I dont Know why he has that kind of spots.

should I transfer him to the QT ? could this stress him more?

thanks for your comments

Last edited:

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a very healthy specimen!
I think white blotches like that are usually just signs of stress. Actual ich looks like little grains of sand.
And velvet which is Ichs deadlier cousin looks like even tinier but perfect circles of sugar that coat the whole fish.
Your tang looks fine, I think he may have just had a rough nights sleep!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I've ever seen their stress colors under actinics. The blue lights can be misleading sometimes revealing things you wouldn't normally see. From what I can tell (great pics by the way) those are just part of his "stress colors" which most fish will display at night no matter what. That's all a part of blending into their environment at night on the reef. I've never seen the white circles like that on them, but I bet that's something you only see in the actinic lights.

I do think I see some spots on his fins... is that correct? Or is that something on the glass or maybe just sand? If it's sand it wont still be there now.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I see some spots on his fins... is that correct? Or is that something on the glass or maybe just sand? If it's sand it wont still be there now.

I see that too, in the second picture. Tiny white dots; not the same as the white splotches.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, that unlike many other species of tang, yellow tangs can build up a resistance to ich frequently. I am not saying I recommend not qt'ing your fish or anything, but I ran reef tanks for a decade with ich present and this is one of the fish I've done this for several times. Many other types of tangs will not be able to handle it and will die. Perhaps not the most ethical thing to do, but I did it.

Now velvet on the other hand is like fish Ebola... It's no joke and if you do not qt it is only a matter of time until it finds your tank. It's everywhere in the fish distribution system right now..

OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for your answers, the yellow tang was better this morning, there isn't white points on his fins anymore, just some white splotches on the lower part of his body. I think that misys with garlic helps a lot in his adaptation to the new tank process.

OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend the yellow tang start to scratching on rocks and overflow's edge, he is still eating voraciously 3 times a day, 3 more fishes scratch too :( . what can I do? transfer them to QT? I am thinking on leave the DT fishless for 6 months to starve the parasite. the yellow tang has a few white blotches on his fins.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend the yellow tang start to scratching on rocks and overflow's edge, he is still eating voraciously 3 times a day, 3 more fishes scratch too :( . what can I do? transfer them to QT? I am thinking on leave the DT fishless for 6 months to starve the parasite. the yellow tang has a few white blotches on his fins.

Can you get us pictures again? Without the blues? If it's ich the fallow period is only 76 days and there are several treatment options available for the fish themselves. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/

OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, here are the photos, hope you can help me i don't Know if velvet or ICH

with white leds at 50%

with white leds at 100%

closeup to the skin

OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this morning one of the clown was swimming vertically could this be brooklynella? right now I'm very paranoid about any extrange behavior

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based mostly off the trophonts I see on the left pectoral fin in this pic, I think your fish has ich. Ich trophonts cause larger oval shaped white dots, like what you see here. Velvet is smaller and perfectly round. One could argue this is just the onset of Lymphocystis (a virus), but there are too many white dots on the body as well for that. And if this fish had velvet, he'd likely be dead already. Or at the very least be more covered in white dots than what I see here.

OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based mostly off the trophonts I see on the left pectoral fin in this pic, I think your fish has ich. Ich trophonts cause larger oval shaped white dots, like what you see here. Velvet is smaller and perfectly round. One could argue this is just the onset of Lymphocystis (a virus), but there are too many white dots on the body as well for that. And if this fish had velvet, he'd likely be dead already. Or at the very least be more covered in white dots than what I see here.

thanks for your help, should I keep the fish in the DT and wait to see if he can deal with the parasite? or transfer immediately to QT ?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
reefkeeperCOL

reefkeeperCOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I use biopellets reactor, ceramic rings or purigen to maintain bacteria on QT?

Not purigen, not sure about the biopellets. I would use the ceramic rings or a simple sponge as they are less likely to absorb meds in QT.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back