Yellow Tangs Fighting - Need to Hold out for one month

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 yellow tangs in my mangrove lagoon. They were removed from my main display because they were getting beat up badly by my powder blue tang. This was months maybe a year ago. Now the two yellow tangs are fighting. They are the only fish in the tank. I am in the process of setting up a 150 right now. It will not be ready for a few weeks due to a remodel. This will be their permanent home. I need 4 weeks of peace with these fish. I need ideas for a temporary peace accord to prevent death. I am a bit stressed because during their battles, one jumped and I rescued it. Ideas please??

My ideas are:
1. Build a wall of some sort to separate the fish (hard due to mangroves)
2. Set up a 10 gallon holding tank
3. Sell one (don’t want to do this)
4. ???

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to an eggcrate divider. Use cleaner magnets (one on each opposite side of the tank) to hold the divider in place, or even a heavy rock on each opposite side.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If needing to divide or separate them now .
chances of them getting along in the new permanent home later is slim .

sounds like either letting them work it out and hope for the best or re home one is the only choice ..

good luck and hope for the best

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Also: When you get them into your 150, presumably they will have all new rock-work to adjust to, and you can also break-up the line-of-sight a bit from one end of the tank to the other with rocks.) Don't forget we want photos. LOL :cool:

OP
OP
D

Drew Shark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I built a wall with BRS screen top netting and long bamboo skewers. This worked to go around all the mangrove roots. As for the 150, it will be 150 lbs of new rock plus some old. Only time will tell if change will solve these sudden aggression issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having multiple yellow, this is what they dio. Place nori seaweed in a few locations. It does divert their attention. It may also be due to either NOT enough room OR if you have a pair. . . It is recommended always ODD number: 1,3,5,7 and so forth. A Pair will argue constantly

Buckster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to place a purple tang, yellow tang and a blue tang in a 30 gallon QT. The purple wouldn't stop it aggression towards the yellow tang. I had to put the egg crate in the tank for separation and it worked. Once I added them back to the 180 it was magic. The fighting stopped immediately. I felt much better!

Back