Yellow Tank with Black fins and gills - Not Spots but black fins.

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this yellow tank in QT. Ammonia is 0.5, Ph 8. I have a skimmer, UV sterilizer, and filter running. This yellow tank has black fins that seem to come a go. Maybe an indication of stress? I have a few other fish, green chromis and a small clown fish. All of them are eating and show no external signs of stress. Possibly ich? No black spots that I can see. All of the fish have been in this tank for about 3 weeks. Using Red Sea salt and RODI. SG 1.025.

Tang2.jpg
Tang1.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a young chocolate tang in which the coloration is normal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this yellow tank in QT. Ammonia is 0.5, Ph 8. I have a skimmer, UV sterilizer, and filter running. This yellow tank has black fins that seem to come a go. Maybe an indication of stress? I have a few other fish, green chromis and a small clown fish. All of them are eating and show no external signs of stress. Possibly ich? No black spots that I can see. All of the fish have been in this tank for about 3 weeks. Using Red Sea salt and RODI. SG 1.025.

Tang2.jpg
Tang1.jpg
Welcome to Teef2Reef!

As the others said, that is a chocolate or mimic tang.
I’m worried about your 0.50 ammonia reading. What test kit are you using? If the test is accurate, that level can be stressful to the fish.
Jay

OP
OP
B

bob2307yahoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Teef2Reef!

As the others said, that is a chocolate or mimic tang.
I’m worried about your 0.50 ammonia reading. What test kit are you using? If the test is accurate, that level can be stressful to the fish.
Jay
Jay:
Thanks for responding. I am changing the water every couple of days. Changed 50% again today and will check ammonia tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to keep ammonia down in a QT tank? It's bare bottom and about 38 gallons. I am on my second 175 gallon bucket of Red Sea salt from changes. I have been doing at least 2 per week. I have a seachem ammonia alert so when I see the yellow about half gone I do a change. I also have an API test kit that i think it accurate as it seems to match with the alert in the tank.

I have a 370 gallon tank being delivered Saturday and these are my first set of fish for it. Quarantining them and getting ready to put them in about 2 months from now, after it cycles.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay:
Thanks for responding. I am changing the water every couple of days. Changed 50% again today and will check ammonia tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to keep ammonia down in a QT tank? It's bare bottom and about 38 gallons. I am on my second 175 gallon bucket of Red Sea salt from changes. I have been doing at least 2 per week. I have a seachem ammonia alert so when I see the yellow about half gone I do a change. I also have an API test kit that i think it accurate as it seems to match with the alert in the tank.

I have a 370 gallon tank being delivered Saturday and these are my first set of fish for it. Quarantining them and getting ready to put them in about 2 months from now, after it cycles.
Bacteria starter cultures like Dr Tim’s or Fritzyme work for many people. You just should try to keep the ammonia below 0.50, 0.25 is better yet.
Jay

Back