Yellow Watchman Goby has white growth on head

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago I noticed a white smooth growth between the eyes of my YWG and it appears to be growing. It does not look fuzzy, but rather clearly defined. The goby is in the 29g aquarium for about 2 months now. It behaves normally (doing Goby things) and eats well all kinds of food (pellets, mysis, even dry seaweed) and the water parameters are fine (1.025; 8.0; nitrate/nitrite/ammonia at 0). No other fish (2 Ocellaris clowns and 3 pajama cardinals) is affected. Any idea is appreciated.

IMG_1995.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2nd time in a few days such issue I’ve seen. This looks bacterial but can also be fungal.
let’s start with water quality- what are your parameters and what test kits are you using?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago I noticed a white smooth growth between the eyes of my YWG and it appears to be growing. It does not look fuzzy, but rather clearly defined. The goby is in the 29g aquarium for about 2 months now. It behaves normally (doing Goby things) and eats well all kinds of food (pellets, mysis, even dry seaweed) and the water parameters are fine (1.025; 8.0; nitrate/nitrite/ammonia at 0). No other fish (2 Ocellaris clowns and 3 pajama cardinals) is affected. Any idea is appreciated.

IMG_1995.jpg
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yours is the fourth similar case I've seen here this year. The location of the white spot varies, but visually, these are all the same issue. However - there other ones were "lost to follow up". What I mean was that I gave advice, but then never heard the outcome. I strongly suspect the reason why is that these gobies are almost impossible to remove from the display tank to treat, and the fish died before the person could do anything (or the fish just got better on its own, but that's unlikely).

Can you post a short video of the goby? That can help me judge its respiration rate.
Is it still eating?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Also, Not possible to be definitive here with diagnosis, without a biopsy. When whitish patches appear on a fish, bacterial infection is often suggested, though other pathogens can result in the fishes slime coat thickening, giving similar symptoms. In these cases (particularly the OP's fish), the former looks more likely, though with this duration, I'd expect tissue impairment or reddening (hemorrhage). The rough symmetry may also indicate the issue is partly internal, and although the infection has clearly been chronic up until now, this does make ID, let alone treatment, more difficult.

OP
OP
F

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the feedback. I added a video of the goby with his "cave buddy", the peppermint shrimp. He came out during feeding, and while I have not see him eat a pellet that is not unusual, as he likes to take his time, and he ate very well yesterday. I use API test products, and parameters are normal, as posted before.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.MOV
    3.4 MB
OP
OP
F

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby ate well tonight and continues to behave normally. If anything, it is more active than usual (out of its cave). The breathing does not appear accelerated or labored. It has just started to turn yellow atwo weeks ago or so, as initially it was grayish/white.

OP
OP
F

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another update: The YWG is still eating, but breathing more heavily, clenching his fins, and having fits of flashing. Also the white area seems to be spreading from the head backwards. I might be able to get him out of the tank into a QT, but would only put that stress on him if I had an idea what to treat him with. Any suggestions? Or is it too late anyways?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another update: The YWG is still eating, but breathing more heavily, clenching his fins, and having fits of flashing. Also the white area seems to be spreading from the head backwards. I might be able to get him out of the tank into a QT, but would only put that stress on him if I had an idea what to treat him with. Any suggestions? Or is it too late anyways?

Since it is out in the open, you might consider trying a 5 minute freshwater dip to see if it relieves the symptoms (will take a day or two). The dip will be stressful, but the general thought is - if the dip kills a fish, then it was so weak that it would have died in a day or two anyway.

Jay

OP
OP
F

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is out in the open, you might consider trying a 5 minute freshwater dip to see if it relieves the symptoms (will take a day or two). The dip will be stressful, but the general thought is - if the dip kills a fish, then it was so weak that it would have died in a day or two anyway.

Jay
I just did the FW dip and it appears to have survived (for now) and is in a QT. It looks as if something white is eating away at its head. Any recommendations on further treatment is appreciated (after giving it 24 hours of rest).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the FW dip and it appears to have survived (for now) and is in a QT. It looks as if something white is eating away at its head. Any recommendations on further treatment is appreciated (after giving it 24 hours of rest).
Let me know how it is doing tomorrow. If no improvement it might be a bacterial issue. If it improves, then the issue is flukes, possibly protozoans.
Jay

Back