Yellow Watchman Goby White Patches

shawz_uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Hoping for some learned advice from folks on here.

I recently put a Yellow Watchman Goby in my 3 month post cycled tank. After the first week or so the Goby has become more active and coming out from its favourite cave. Eating seems to be fairly healthy and has taken spectrum pellet, flake and also frozen mysis.

However, over the past few days I have noticed white patches appearing on both flanks of the goby. These do not appear to be raised but seem to be getting larger as days progress.

As you can imagine I have read as much as I can on this but opinions vary wildly from changing sex to fungal or bacterial infection. Being new to this I want to do what’s best for the goby but also do not want to overreact .

i have attached some pictures below. I found that taking them during lights out with the assistance of a torch showed the patches best.

Any advice or thoughts on what to do or what not to do would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jonathan

20014E51-4D49-4C66-BAC5-C2790107B5C1.jpeg 69C5BE0C-40E7-49ED-B99F-8D7886F9666C.jpeg E1BEF1F8-5A03-4D05-9D7B-E9AA1EADB973.jpeg I

TheSeas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy had something similar when I put him in my tank. He otherwise seemed happy, so I observed to ensure he was eating and acting normal. I didn't treat and it went away in a few weeks to a month. Maybe I got lucky, but hope it is just the same for your watchman.

Attachments

• 20200829_141853.jpg
    20200829_141853.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
S

shawz_uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy had something similar when I put him in my tank. He otherwise seemed happy, so I observed to ensure he was eating and acting normal. I didn't treat and it went away in a few weeks to a month. Maybe I got lucky, but hope it is just the same for your watchman.
Here’s hoping!

noobreefer2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking YWG there!

Sorry should confirm it’s the white patches, almost like rubbed off scales as opposed to the spots I’m concerned about
Haha, sorry that isn't my goby its just a picture I found online. If you look up yellow watchman goby most of them have white spots, that image was just an example. Other than that I think that the spots are a sign of sextual maturate.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Hoping for some learned advice from folks on here.

I recently put a Yellow Watchman Goby in my 3 month post cycled tank. After the first week or so the Goby has become more active and coming out from its favourite cave. Eating seems to be fairly healthy and has taken spectrum pellet, flake and also frozen mysis.

However, over the past few days I have noticed white patches appearing on both flanks of the goby. These do not appear to be raised but seem to be getting larger as days progress.

As you can imagine I have read as much as I can on this but opinions vary wildly from changing sex to fungal or bacterial infection. Being new to this I want to do what’s best for the goby but also do not want to overreact .

i have attached some pictures below. I found that taking them during lights out with the assistance of a torch showed the patches best.

Any advice or thoughts on what to do or what not to do would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jonathan

20014E51-4D49-4C66-BAC5-C2790107B5C1.jpeg 69C5BE0C-40E7-49ED-B99F-8D7886F9666C.jpeg E1BEF1F8-5A03-4D05-9D7B-E9AA1EADB973.jpeg I
This looks like either a bacterial infection or a reaction due to skin flukes. Do you have access to a treatment tank?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, unless you pull it for treatment, there isn't anything to do but to watch it. If it is still eating well, I would probably just watch it. If it goes off food through, you'll need to act quickly - first give it a 5 minute FW dip and observe the bottom of the dip container for dead flukes. If none, then start an antibiotic treatment with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic.

Jay

OP
OP
S

shawz_uk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all comments. Jay - I’ll set up the QT tank in the meantime, watch for a few days for improvement or otherwise abs be ready to act.

would you recommend any particular medication so I can have it ready?

best,

jonathan

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with neoplex or Maracyn 2.

Jay

Cscott19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for the original poster, did the white patch go away? Or did you ever figure out what it was? I have a very young and small one that is having the same patch in the same place. Eating and acting totally normal other than the white patch. Some say it has something to do with their sex possibly, but wondering if you ever figure it out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back