Yellow wrasse came out the sand is this normal?

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wrasse I bought been hiding in the sand for 6 days got him into the tank the same day.
Until yesterday Jan 10th at the time 21:00 (9 PM), he came out of the sand while the light was dimming they turn off at 23:00.
His eye is bulged and looks like what they call the pop eye, to my inexperienced.

He is responsive he swims away when he sees me and my hand, he also swims away from my other fish like my chocolate tang who is a bit curious at times.

He doesn’t swim in the upper collum thoe he seems to be able to. He currently swims along the bottom in such a way - the best way I can describe it, is he swims the same way that a diamond watchman goby swims along the bottom.

Today he came out the sand again same time, acting the same way, he doesn’t breath heavy either, he seems to be breathing fine.
I can't get a picture of it because he just swims away. He doesn't eat since I feed the tank at 11:30 and 17:00 thoe I did try with a little teaspoon of Aqua forest Protein Power dried food, but he didn't seem interested and he wasn't looking at it. He might be eating pods and stuff.

Is this normal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So the wrasse I bought been hiding in the sand for 6 days got him into the tank the same day.
Until yesterday Jan 10th at the time 21:00 (9 PM), he came out of the sand while the light was dimming they turn off at 23:00.
His eye is bulged and looks like what they call the pop eye, to my inexperienced.

He is responsive he swims away when he sees me and my hand, he also swims away from my other fish like my chocolate tang who is a bit curious at times.

He doesn’t swim in the upper collum thoe he seems to be able to. He currently swims along the bottom in such a way - the best way I can describe it, is he swims the same way that a diamond watchman goby swims along the bottom.

Today he came out the sand again same time, acting the same way, he doesn’t breath heavy either, he seems to be breathing fine.
I can't get a picture of it because he just swims away. He doesn't eat since I feed the tank at 11:30 and 17:00 thoe I did try with a little teaspoon of Aqua forest Protein Power dried food, but he didn't seem interested and he wasn't looking at it. He might be eating pods and stuff.

Is this normal?
May be a biuyancy issue or UNWD which affects many wrasses but best way to assess is to provide a video under white lighting of at least 20 seconds to see what fish is actually doing

OP
OP
KingAh123

KingAh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a biuyancy issue or UNWD which affects many wrasses but best way to assess is to provide a video under white lighting of at least 20 seconds to see what fish is actually doing

I managed to capture a video of him, I can't catch him under white light sadly.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He apparently swims fine but he looks very skinny and your substrate seems a bit rough. I would target-feed him some extra nutritious food such as mussels, frozen bloodworms, etc.

Yrlspence

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is this normal?
Yes. They live/slee in sand bed. Not sure about eye. Both of mine eat dried and frozen foods

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back