Yellow Wrasse (Halichoeres) Burial Period

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I know there are a lot of similar questions, but maybe not quite this situation.

Had a yellow "Coris" wrasse (H. chrysus) for 10 months in my nano while getting the new big tank ready. Added him in after a month and a half of rocksteady parameters. Slow acclimated, yada yada. He wasn't the first fish in either.

After adding him, he immediately went to hide in the sand, then changed his mind and spend the rest of the day swimming about, eating, checking things out.

Next day, nowhere to be seen, definitely didn't jump out, slip through a crack, etc., as the system is redundantly secured against that. Presumed he'd hidden overnight. No worries.

That was 2 weeks ago. Just ... looking for a $.02 on exactly how long I should go before I fret. Tank's running about as rock solid as it can, and water params are steady and clear. He was plump and healthy before going in, and I've no reason to believe anything changed.

But ... that's a long time, especially after only about a 60 minute interval between tanks. He's just flat out my favorite fish, and yeah ... well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up hope yet. I've seen people report to the message boards that they appeared after longer than that. It could be that it's coming out at night and eating pods, etc.

What are its tankmates?

OP
OP
mvbrandt

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much yet. A shoal of chromis and the 2 ocellaris who were his mates in the prior venue. New home is a 180 with a planned total future stock of just 6 chromis, 2 ocellaris, yellow canary, Lubbock's, mccoskers, blue eye kole, diamond Goby, firefish, and a foxface.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I added a large sailfin tang, my yellow coris wrasse hid for two weeks. I was convinced he was dead. Then one day I'm walking past the tank and all of a sudden I see this yellow streak swimming by. He was out and about like nothing happened.
In my other tank, my yellow coris wrasse hid for about 2-3 weeks when I first added him. Thought someone made a meal out of him because he was so small. Then one day, he just popped out and has been fine since. Hope yours shows up like mine did.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use almost no energy when hiding. They can pick food while you're not looking :)
Remember, they evolved to dig into the sand like this :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back