Yellow wrasse large bruise? Help please!

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Yellow wrasse last week from the LFS. Looked great at the store. Brought her home, and have sand in the QT for her. Also got a mccosker that didn't last 24 hours.
They are in QT. The only other two fish and there is a scooter dragon it, and a green Mandarin. This bruise showed up yesterday, but seems to be getting worse. Even seems to be on both sides.
She ate last night just fine. She came out swimming around this evening. I had fed them earlier when she was in the sand, so I didn't see her eat tonight. I put a couple pieces of nysis in, but she didn't want them. Could have already been full.
Any idea what it might be or anything I can do for her at all?
I have a video too but it isn't playing nice with R2R...I can try to figure it out if needed. Please help. I can't stand to lose any fish.

IMG_7083.JPG

IMG_7077.JPG

IMG_7081.JPG

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very likely a bacterial infection setting in. I would treat with these 3 meds: Kanaplex + Furan-2 + Metroplex.

At the very least, you want Kanaplex or Furan-2.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep is the sand? She may have scratched herself on the PVC while trying to hide, resulting in a bacterial infection at the wound sites.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Furan-2 there. Or API Erythromycin might help if this is a gram positive infection.

Unlikely, as their thick mucous coat would be very resistant to harmful bacteria.
Funny - I was just looking at a bunch of posts the other night learning - and thought "I really need to buy those 3 antibiotics that Humble and @melypr1985 always suggest just to have on hand in case something happens . . . . :confused:
On order - will be here Wednesday - not soon enough. I will stop at LFS tomorrow morning to see if they have anything I can use in the meantime.

I can use the antibiotic in QT with the other 2, right?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, what's your advice on supplementing pods for the Mandy and scooter using these meds? Really should supplement some pods during QT for these guys.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble, what's your advice on supplementing pods for the Mandy and scooter using these meds? Really should supplement some pods during QT for these guys.
I do have the nova eggs as well as frozen pods and fresh pods I have been feeding fresh in the morning, and frozen pods/eggs in the evening with a little mysis for the wrasse. (Was going to start with Rods this week since the QT ammonia and nitrites have finally stabalized.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the digging wrasse I am quarantining I use a glass bowl that has fine sand at least double the thickness of the wrasse.
Thank y0u - I will make sure of that the next time. I lost that McCosker too :(

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the nova eggs as well as frozen pods and fresh pods I have been feeding fresh in the morning, and frozen pods/eggs in the evening with a little mysis for the wrasse. (Was going to start with Rods this week since the QT ammonia and nitrites have finally stabalized.

Are they eating these? If so, good deal!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back