Yellowbreast Wrasse, Anampses twistii

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever kept a Yellowbreast Wrasse, Anampses twistii ? I'm looking at one for my CL 70G Artisan II mixed reef with Fairy and Flasher dominated tank. I also have a Mystery Wrasse as well. Not that familiar with this species so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

AnampsTwistiizsispeo.jpg

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one previously. They're very similar to leopards but in my experience were a lil more difficult to get to eat frozen or pellets. They do get larger mine was around 5" and VERY active. If you do get one of these make sure its eating bc they're terrible shippers and tend to break their jaw trying to bury during shipping and never recover. Also plan on 2 rounds of prazi since its a high possibility of worms. I think this guy should be fine with your current wrasses however your tank is on the smaller side. I had one in a 66g and it was small, I ended up shutting the tank down and she was re-homed to a 220. I would say if you're not upgrading, that 120 would be more appropriate long term home for these guys.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one previously. They're very similar to leopards but in my experience were a lil more difficult to get to eat frozen or pellets. They do get larger mine was around 5" and VERY active. If you do get one of these make sure its eating bc they're terrible shippers and tend to break their jaw trying to bury during shipping and never recover. Also plan on 2 rounds of prazi since its a high possibility of worms. I think this guy should be fine with your current wrasses however your tank is on the smaller side. I had one in a 66g and it was small, I ended up shutting the tank down and she was re-homed to a 220. I would say if you're not upgrading, that 120 would be more appropriate long term home for these guys.
Thx, anyone else?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a smaller Anampses species, similar in care to a leopard. 70g is a little small and the mystery wrasse may pose an issue.

A. twistii are a peaceful species that is desirable, though not easy.

eleet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My twistii was one of my first fish in this build. 2 rounds of prazi is a must. Qt was a royal pain, but now he is super easy. I will say he is in a 93 cube, and uses every inch. He will move into a 150 at some point.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx everyone. I need to some how catch the royal pain, Mystery Wrasse. Perfect example of "Do Your Homework" before putting in your tank:oops:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a smaller Anampses species, similar in care to a leopard. 70g is a little small and the mystery wrasse may pose an issue.

A. twistii are a peaceful species that is desirable, though not easy.
+1
Thx everyone. I need to some how catch the royal pain, Mystery Wrasse. Perfect example of "Do Your Homework" before putting in your tank:oops:
Try a fish trap, but go slow with it. Leave it for a few days. Then start feeding from it for a few days. Then actually try to start closing the door with him inside during feeding.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Try a fish trap, but go slow with it. Leave it for a few days. Then start feeding from it for a few days. Then actually try to start closing the door with him inside during feeding.
Thx, I just have to get me a fish trap now and cross my fingers....

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrection alert, do you guys know what the adult/male coloration is for these guys? I'm not sure I've been able to find pictures of anything besides juvis (unless the coloration is the same)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back