yellowhead jawfish and black cap basslet 40 breeder??

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would establish the jawfish first.

I was all think of adding a flamehawk and leapard toby also

Thoughts on compatabilty with yellowhead jawfish?

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Head Jawfish usually will attempt to scare off other fish by opening its mouth wide or spit sand at em. If none works he will feel ticked off and close his den and with a rock. He then shall not see you or any other uninteresting tank mates until a few hours past. But yea the basslet or any other aggressive fish with similar body shape will likely bully the Jawfish. Establish the Jawfish as you planed and see what happens. It's a gamble.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @eatbreakfast, my Pearly Jawfish (practically the same as a yellow head Jawfish) got along well with everything and nothing bothered it. It was shy for maybe two weeks and then it was out of it's burrow begging for food with all the other fish!

The only thing it didn't like was hermit crabs coming into its burrow, it would immediately pick them up and tote them to the other side of the tank, drop them, and then head back to it's burrow. It was a very inquisitive fish and extremely fun to watch. Sadly it didn't take too well to me moving to a new apartment and died from stress during the moving process.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @eatbreakfast, my Pearly Jawfish (practically the same as a yellow head Jawfish) got along well with everything and nothing bothered it. It was shy for maybe two weeks and then it was out of it's burrow begging for food with all the other fish!

The only thing it didn't like was hermit crabs coming into its burrow, it would immediately pick them up and tote them to the other side of the tank, drop them, and then head back to it's burrow. It was a very inquisitive fish and extremely fun to watch. Sadly it didn't take too well to me moving to a new apartment and died from stress during the moving process.

Thanks, I didn't realize there was two types, Yellowhead and Pearly. Do you know what the differences are by chance?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I didn't realize there was two types, Yellowhead and Pearly. Do you know what the differences are by chance?
Coloration of their head pretty much, both are carribean/sub-tropical Atlantic species. The pearly's tend to stick towards the carribean whereas the yellowheads can be found on the East coast of Florida. Apparently in Key West and surround areas you can find both species (rumor I've heard, not something I can confirm through personal experience).

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a midas or a tail spot blenny be a better choice in the 40 breeder with a yellowhead jawfish?

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a midas or a tail spot blenny be a better choice in the 40 breeder with a yellowhead jawfish?
You could have one with the Jawfish and the Basslet.

Back