Yellowhead jawfish and Copperpower?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before starting a prophylactic 30 day regimen of copperpower (therapeutic 1.5-2.0 ) on a yellowhead, I just want to confirm that a yellowhead jaw is not particularly sensitive to copper treatment?

Am I good?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, jawfish are better off treated with CP. But they will tolerate copper. Recommend taking twice as long 6-7 days to reach therapeutic levels. And smaller daily doses, AM, lunch, PM for example rather than one big daily dose.

Here's @HotRocks new dosing for Copper Power. Especially handy if you don't have a Hanna High Level Copper Checker to monitor copper levels. Just dose carefully and accurately as possible. I do not trust the API Copper Test kit. Very inaccurate.

Dosing instructions for Copper Power:
Bottle reads 1oz per 20 gallons. (I have checked several bottles, at least 6, all of which using the hanna method, yield 2.5ppm)
This equates to 29.5ml per 20 Gallons to achieve a 2.5ppm level. Or 1.475ml Per Gallon

1.18ml per gallon = 2.0ppm

.89ml per gallon = 1.5ppm

All of that being said,
I think it would be a good idea to dose 1ml per gallon as a baseline, testing throughout (If the hanna method is being used). Once you have reached your target total for your total gallons over the ramp up period, you can easily test and adjust as need be.

If you are using visual test methods, such as API, Hach, Chemetrics, I would use shoot for the dosage of 1.1-1.18ml per gallon in an effort to maintain a level above the therapeutic minimum.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, a 30 day treatment excludes the 5-7 day ramp up period, correct?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back