Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm thinking about adding one of these to my 180 reef. He will be joining a tank that will have:

2 - Halichoeres melanurus wrasses (mated pair) - already established
3 - Paracheilinus wrasses (carpenteri, mccoskeri, and one other that I'm still deciding on) - will be added at same time as Anampses meleagrides
2 - Black Ice clownfish - already established
1 - green mandarin goby - already established
1 - matted filefish - already established
1 - yellow clown goby - already established
1 - starry blenny - will be added at same time as Anampses meleagrides
1 - Yellow Candy Hog Fish - will be added at same time as Anampses meleagrides

​Thoughts?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may have a problem with the Melanurus...they are hit or miss as far as bulling. I removed mine...

Thanks. Hopefully they'll do ok. They've done good with the carpenter's flasher wrasse. I'm going to use an acclimation box for a few days and going to introduce 3 new wrasses at the same time.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be reluctant about the hogfish. They can be fine tankmates as juveniles, but once they start to mature, I have found them to be a bit meaner than the wrasses you currently, or plan on soon having.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be reluctant about the hogfish. They can be fine tankmates as juveniles, but once they start to mature, I have found them to be a bit meaner than the wrasses you currently, or plan on soon having.

Oops...He's already been ordered. Hopefully he'll do airtight. I know that species is the smallest of the hogfish, so maybe I'll get lucky. If not, I'll have to move him to another tank.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filefish in a reef doesn't sound like a good idea

He's been there for months. I bought him to take care of aiptasia...he hasn't touched them or corals...He's harmless...useless...but harmless... ;)

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just personally wouldn't trust it kind of like the dwarf and pygmy angels or blue throat triggers eating coral and inverts are in their DNA so yes they might behalf for a while but eventually their natural instincts will kick in and take over. I had a Flame Angel in a mixed reef for over six months and he was doing great never even looked at my corals. Then I woke up one day and all my sps tips were dead and 90 percent of my LPS was crushed in just one night! Good luck

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just personally wouldn't trust it kind of like the dwarf and pygmy angels or blue throat triggers eating coral and inverts are in their DNA so yes they might behalf for a while but eventually their natural instincts will kick in and take over. I had a Flame Angel in a mixed reef for over six months and he was doing great never even looked at my corals. Then I woke up one day and all my sps tips were dead and 90 percent of my LPS was crushed in just one night! Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I haven't decided whether I'll be keeping him or not really. LOL Since he didn't do his job, I just haven't been able to decide what to do with him. I've thought about taking him to the lfs, but I know I wouldn't get credit for him and like I said, so far he hasn't touched anything... *fingers crossed*

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have a problem with the Melanurus...they are hit or miss as far as bulling. I removed mine...
+1; it could be an issue. Just something to watch for.

And +1 here.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been there for months. I bought him to take care of aiptasia...he hasn't touched them or corals...He's harmless...useless...but harmless... ;)

I'm guessing he has been eating his fill of other foods. When I had one I put him in my sump and rotated my rockwork out of the display to the sump so he would eat just the aptasia.

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing he has been eating his fill of other foods. When I had one I put him in my sump and rotated my rockwork out of the display to the sump so he would eat just the aptasia.
sump is a better option for this fish I would think...Also would keep him hungry which would induce the aptasia eating

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is so old but did @DanielR2R did you ever add the yellow tamarin with melanurus? How did it go? Thinking about getting one.
Unfortunately these fish are incredibly sensitive and it is very rare that anyone has any success with them. Save your money and get something more reasonable.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately these fish are incredibly sensitive and it is very rare that anyone has any success with them. Save your money and get something more reasonable.
I knew they were harder to keep because of diet. But I didn’t know success rate was that poor. Thanks.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew they were harder to keep because of diet. But I didn’t know success rate was that poor. Thanks.
Actually just realized that this thread was about the yellowtail, A meleagrides not the yellow streaked A femininus.
The yellowtail is the most reasonable of the tamarin wrasse. It is still a very difficult fish but doable. I would only get one that looks healthy and is eating at an LFS but I have one and it is doing well.
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Actually just realized that this thread was about the yellowtail, A meleagrides not the yellow streaked A femininus.
The yellowtail is the most reasonable of the tamarin wrasse. It is still a very difficult fish but doable. I would only get one that looks healthy and is eating at an LFS but I have one and it is doing well.
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg
Yes correct! Have you ever kept a melanurus with one?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes correct! Have you ever kept a melanurus with one?
No but I have three different species of Halichoeres in with it. They do not handle aggression well but if you are careful it should do just fine. I always suggest an acclimation box.
This fish needs a sand bed (not crushed coral), copepods, and I suggest giving all fish access to nori occasionally.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both of mine do fine together as well. The Yellowtail sometimes obsessively follows the Mel then gets chased off after a bit, but otherwise they’re fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back