Yes, Dear that is a fine grade of Wet Skimmate....

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like many of us, my significant other opposed my reef tank and lamented on and on. -But I just do whatever I want. Its been like that since we met -20 years ago. =P

I digress.

My point is that I've always believed that Wet Skimmate is *relatively* effective Skimming. You loose some water vs dry skimming. But what the heck? I've got a 50 gallon drum sitting next to my reef with fresh saltwater aerating and dosed with Calcium and Alkaline. If I were to siphon out water Im loosing good water at a higher rate anyway. So why not "Wet Skim" before a water change?

I ran some wet Skim tonight on my 65 Gallon that just had a multiple 10 Gallon water changes over the last few weeks. Meanwhile, Corals are looking awesome, so this was just a test to see what color the "wet Skim" would reveal:

25_DSC02556_WEB.jpg

20210724_041733.jpg

^^That is real nutrient export. On tap!

How's that for a tall glass of water on a hot day?

And I marked the glass. So, Im never drinking out of it again.

Yes Dear? Half and Half Iced Tea? I'll gladly mix the Un-sweetened tea with the Sweet Tea for you.

In your own special glass. :D

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like many of us, my significant other opposed my reef tank and lamented on and on. -But I just do whatever I want. Its been like that since we met -20 years ago. =P

I digress.

My point is that I've always believed that Wet Skimmate is *relatively* effective Skimming. You loose some water vs dry skimming. But what the heck? I've got a 50 gallon drum sitting next to my reef with fresh saltwater aerating and dosed with Calcium and Alkaline. If I were to siphon out water Im loosing good water at a higher rate anyway. So why not "Wet Skim" before a water change?

I ran some wet Skim tonight on my 65 Gallon that just had a multiple 10 Gallon water changes over the last few weeks. Meanwhile, Corals are looking awesome, so this was just a test to see what color the "wet Skim" would reveal:

25_DSC02556_WEB.jpg

20210724_041733.jpg

^^That is real nutrient export. On tap!

How's that for a tall glass of water on a hot day?

And I marked the glass. So, Im never drinking out of it again.

Yes Dear? Half and Half Iced Tea? I'll gladly mix the Un-sweetened tea with the Sweet Tea for you.

In your own special glass. :D
I did that once to send a picture to Red Sea, and Im also never drinking out of it ever again! Lol

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL.... I left the Skimmer running wet last night after I wrote this post, thank God I ran the overflow into a 5 gallon bucket! Just woke up to my tank gurgling cause of low water.. look in Skimmer 5 gallon overflow bucket and its 3/4 full! LOL.. Oh well, time for fresh water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help come up with a name for this Micro Brew: We can make a fortune selling it to the masses! MMMmmm. Salty but Gooood!
20210724_041733.jpg

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd drink from it again. Little bit of bleach and a good dry and it's good to go. It's glass, it can be sterilized.
You'd drink from that Glass! Can I send the real glass to you? Video tape yourself drinking from it and you'll be the hero of Reef2Reef instantly man. I swear.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand the point of your post, tbh. Are you suggesting wet skimming provides better nutrient export?

OP
OP
waverider

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I understand the point of your post, tbh. Are you suggesting wet skimming provides better nutrient export?
Was just an experiment. My skimmer had been running very dry for a long while so I tuned it up to run more Wet and see how much dark wet skim I could get before the skim ran clear. -As this hobby is about the joy of experimentation as much as it is everything else- I've come to the conclusion that wet skimming prior to a water change increases nutrient reduction at water changes. No great discoveries! This was more of a friday night reefing fun thing we were joking on about the glass of skim...etc.. :rolleyes:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back