YES or NO: The Beautiful Copperband Butterfly Fish for Your Reef Tank?

Should the Copperband Butterfly Fish be attempted in our home aquariums?

• Yes for every level of hobbyists

Votes: 46 6.4%
  • Yes but for the more expert level of hobbyists

Votes: 553 76.4%
  • No they should not

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 22 3.0%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Copperband butterfly fish is one of the most beautiful fish that is readily available in our hobby and is in the "more affordable" range. People love the CBB fish for many reasons with one of those being that they can use that slender "snout" to get deep into crevices and eat aiptasia anemones! They like to snack on those! But the problem is widely known that they are not very hardy when it comes to being acclimated into our home aquariums because of how finicky and deliberate they are at eating. So let's talk about them today!

1. Should the Copperband Butterfly Fish be attempted in our home aquariums?

2. What are your personal experiences with the CBB? Also any tips for those of you who have been successful?

bigstock-The-Copperband-Butterfly-Fish--385345244.jpg

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for over a year that ate great, however, after my tangs started growing more and eating more I could not get the cbb food. He died after 1.5 years from lack of food, very sad but he just couldnt compete.

I think they are good for certain tanks but not all.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other was my reply because LM not sure what constitutes an expert, and I'm not one. I have tried in the past w no luck, but in the last 3 to 4 years have been successful. I think the time put into research and care is the difference. They are not just another fish. They are delicate creatures w specific dietary needs. I got my last 2 to eat and get a good start by information given from a breeder. Their advice was to buy some clams on the half shell from grocery store, freeze, then shave. They love it. Another was live blk worms. If a person isn't ready or able to dedicate the time to their needs, I suggest another fish until they can.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would only eat live white worms or live things it found in the tank for many months. It has just started eating frozen mysis shrimp. Had I not been ready with worm cultures going I dont think it would have lived.

It wont eat LRS, clams slices or half shell or Masstick.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also think it's hard to get a good specimen. IME once they're eating you're probably good to go, but getting them to eat initially isn't always possible. I'm not sure if that's collection issues or just that they're a more fragile fish. In any case, I'd say they should be attempted only once someone knows enough about fish in general and has specifically researched this fish to know and meet its needs.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your personal experiences with the CBB? Also any tips for those of you who have been successful?

I've kept several CBBs over the years. I mostly have had good luck with them in peaceful, lightly stocked tanks. I haven't done so well with them in tanks where they have to compete for food.

I think the key is to find a specimen that isn't already starving, and getting it to eat. I look to make sure there is no indention of the body above the lateral line, particularly near the head. I also look for a round belly rather than a flat one.

Like others have said, clams and blackworms work. Rock with Aiptasia, polyps, or other small anemone like organizms on it can also provide something for it to peck at while it learns to eat other stuff.

If the specimen will eat when you buy it, consider it as a bonus. Also, be careful, sometimes they'll mouth the food and just spit it out... that's not eating.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No, for "beginners" or folks that want a less needy aquarium
2. I have had one. Feeding it was a chore, literally. It was not an aggressive eater, and its tank mates usually decimated the food before the CB had its fill. I eventually grew weary of finding ways to get it to eat sufficient amounts of food. I rehomed it after about six months.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few many years ago and never had any luck, but I always had trouble with clowns too! Of course, back then (30 years ago) everything was wild caught and the clowns definitely came with disease. I can now happily report that my pair of captive bred clowns are doing well, and have been for a couple years now. Perhaps it's time to try another CBB???

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a few over the years my current one is about 5-6 years old. I think ive had 4 total over the last 20 years, 1 died within 2 months but the others lasted years.

My secret for success is live black worms. They love them. I start mixing frozen blood worms with the live ones after a few feedings, then switch solely to frozen. Before long they seem to eat anything that goes in.
20200126_175525.jpg

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who tried feeding live blackworms and clams on a half shell--have you ever had any cases of a CBB NOT eating live blackworms/clams on a half shell?

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I put him in QT so that he can quietly eat and proceeded to feed live blackworms and clams on a half shell. No luck. After 3 days, I didn't want to see him starve, so I put him in my DT. still not eating, no matter WHAT i'm feeding--continue worms, clams, started adding LRS, mysis, NOTHING. Sucks :(

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased mine to eat aptasias in my tank. As the population of aptasia decreased my copper band transitioned over to enriched frozen brineshrimp and mysis shrimp cubes. Great personality. Always swims to the front of the tank whenever I approach.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never attempted one in the 20+ years I have been reef keeping. I have done seahorses successfully which are another fish with particular needs. However when my last pony passed I was ready for an aquarium with less demands, so no CBB for me at the moment. Maybe someday.

weamdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one a year or so ago. Ate live black worms like a pig for a few weeks but something went wrong fairly suddenly. No plans to try again for a while.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one in my earlier tank and lost during my house move. Got the new tank up and now again I have one. They are interesting fish. Mine eats everything except pellets as its too small for the pellet size. But generally you can train them to eat pellet too. Always make sure they are eating and healthy before you buy one. Here is mine with his big brother.

20210313_172005.jpg

Last edited:

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are very beautiful, but I just won't keep one. I don't want to buy any fish that I don't KNOW that I can feed it what it wants and what it needs to eat and have enough to eat.

In my experience (for the most part) the only difference for most of the fish listed as "hard" or "expert only", is that their food requirements are harder to feed. Meaning they are probably not going to touch your pellets, flakes, or frozen foods. They eat sponges, certain corals, etc.

I am at a point in my reefing life where I do not want to go out of my way to feed any fish or make sure that they are getting enough food. I know that about myself. So I will simply enjoy them in other people's tanks. Perhaps this will change some day when my kids are grown and on their own. Who knows.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABSOLUTELY

I wouldnt want a reef tank without one eating all the baby aiptasia offspring

I can think of atleast 20 fish off the top of my head that are harder to keep

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who tried feeding live blackworms and clams on a half shell--have you ever had any cases of a CBB NOT eating live blackworms/clams on a half shell?

I picked one up a couple weeks ago. I put him in QT so that he can quietly eat and proceeded to feed live blackworms and clams on a half shell. No luck. After 3 days, I didn't want to see him starve, so I put him in my DT. still not eating, no matter WHAT i'm feeding--continue worms, clams, started adding LRS, mysis, NOTHING. Sucks :(
Mine wont eat live black worms, but goes for mysis. Is probably one of the most aggressive fish in the tank. I have a blue hippo and a purple tang in there as well as a magnificent foxface. And out of all of them its the CBB thats the *******. I should call this tank the upside down tank smh.

Picks at rocks and sand bed as well. Eats some of the aiptasias. Before the CBB the pests would multiply like crazy. Now that i've had the CBB for a few months, the aiptasias stopped multiplying. So i think the CBB is having an effect on them.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to try one for a while now, but I have clams in my aquarium and I don't want to go through all the trouble of getting a CBB through QT and eating, only to have to choose between the clam and the CBB. Otherwise I'd try in a heartbeat... gorgeous, mostly reef-safe fish that also keeps aiptasia in check? What's not to like?

But with how delicate they are, I wouldn't want to force it through multiple rehomings if it decides it likes my clams.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love Copperbands and almost always had one in my reef. I got this one last year to replace my last one which lived about 10 years then developed a neurological condition. (or he went senile) :(

They are big eaters but can't bite very large foods. Live worms are what they eat in the sea and definately their favorite food. If you feed to many worms, they won't eat anything else. I give them mostly clams and mysis with live worms a few times a week.
An aged tank with some growth on it is best as they like to hunt under rocks.

I don't know how long they live but I have never been able to keep one longer than 10 years and they are also jumpers which is how I lost a couple of them. But really nice fish.

I personally would not quarantine one, but I wouldn't quarantine anything. But if you are going to quarantine one, resist the urge to put it in a tank with PVC elbows, they hate that and will be stressed. Use something not stark white like clay bricks, fake coral etc and offer hiding places where they can get completely out of sight.
They don't want to look at you no matter how good looking you are as they are a little skitish.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back