YES or NO: The Beautiful Copperband Butterfly Fish for Your Reef Tank?

Should the Copperband Butterfly Fish be attempted in our home aquariums?

• Yes for every level of hobbyists

Votes: 46 6.3%
  • Yes but for the more expert level of hobbyists

Votes: 554 76.4%
  • No they should not

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 22 3.0%

• Total voters

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for several years, it competed for food very well, up against tangs, ect... perhaps too well. One day I was feeding the fish so they were all gathered up practically hand feeding all of them when my large maroon clown got frustrated with the Copperband. The maroon turned to the Copperband and ate its eye out in a split second. The Copperband was still able to live another year that way swimming to constant circles towards its remaining eye, but alas it just couldn’t find the food well enough to compete anymore even though I took extra effort put food in front of it. I came away from the experience regarding the Copperband as a tough resilient fish Quite the opposite of what others on this forum experience.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOLKS ( Let's Cheer this GUY ON) *** COPPERBAND VERY WEAK [ Just Today] **

What Timing for this Topic. I'm sad this is happening.

I've had this COpperband for just about a year. Always an eager eatter.

Darn!!!! The Copperband Butterfly didn't come out to eat today.
I found him hovering in a rock area.

He was so weak I litterly caught him by hand and scooped him into a container.

I moved him to a my Frag Tank to see if I can get him to recover.

I've had a few copperbands over the years. I do my best to feed them properly. Including Clam on Half Shell.

However I did notice this FAT GUY get thinner and thinner over the last few months, so I ramped up target feeding him.

The problem with this one, is he never got a taste for Aptasia, like my other Copperband.

Let's hope for the best since they are such beautiful and Gentle fish.

I'm rutting for u guys.

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are CBB with corals? I’ve heard mixed things and I would like to get one for my reef that is primarily LPS

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm rutting for u guys.
Thanks @rusty hannon,

We appreciate the support.

It's a difficult time for me. One moment he is lying on his side, then I come back and he is upright.
Best (for me) is to not keep looking every 20 minutes. Not much I can do. I've given him a peaceful place toHOPEFULLY recover.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOLKS ( Let's Cheer this GUY ON) *** COPPERBAND VERY WEAK [ Just Today] **

What Timing for this Topic. I'm sad this is happening.

I've had this COpperband for just about a year. Always an eager eatter.

Darn!!!! The Copperband Butterfly didn't come out to eat today.
I found him hovering in a rock area.

He was so weak I litterly caught him by hand and scooped him into a container.

I moved him to a my Frag Tank to see if I can get him to recover.

I've had a few copperbands over the years. I do my best to feed them properly. Including Clam on Half Shell.

However I did notice this FAT GUY get thinner and thinner over the last few months, so I ramped up target feeding him.

The problem with this one, is he never got a taste for Aptasia, like my other Copperband.

Let's hope for the best since they are such beautiful and Gentle fish.

No luck.
He just died.

After just over a year. Darn!!

Another lesson learned in Copperband Butterfly Care.

When they start getting thin (and you notice it) don't procrastinate on doing something to fatten them back up.
Competitive eatting fish DON'T HELP.

My other Copperband is doing fine and has been around longer. However he learned to eat Aptasia, and the DT keeps getting restocked with Young Aptasia since they grow in my Sump.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a friend who had an enormous pair in a custom 200 gal. tank. They were around 8 inches long. The only other live thing in the tank was a giant fire coral. His girl friend loved neon gobies so one day he threw in four. The CBBs chased down the gobies and ate them! My friend passed away and I lost track of the fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he just couldnt compete.

I think they are good for certain tanks but not all.
This would be my experience and judgement. Not a fish for the beginner certainly, but success requires a calm, uncompetitive tank. If you must have tangs don’t try a CB.

MPrz59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper Bands should only be attempted if youve done your research, Your tank is suitable, and you know what your getting into

ChelmonMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one today...
Here's a pic of him temp acclimating in the bag... lol
OK. I'm brand new and need some help with posting and hoping you can help me. I can see how to post a reply, but where the !@##$ do you start a comment? Good luck with the copperband - my favorite fish!

MABELED

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola a todos: Yo tengo uno desde hace un año y es una belleza. Las primeras dos semanas pensé por un momento que había muerto porque era muy temeroso y de plano no se asomaba para nada; pero cuando lo busqué para que no se descompusiera en mi tanque, comenzó a salir ya comer gustosamente artemia viva. Yo considero que lo que me ayudó a su adaptación, es que tenía mucha microfauna en mi tanque. Gusanos tubícolas, gusanos de fuego, copépodos, etc. Nunca ha comido hojuelas, pero come aiptasias y todos los bichos que "sobran" en mi tanque. Yo lo recomendaría solo en tanques maduros con mucha microfauna.

The Ginga Ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say CBB’s make great tank mates so long as they’re introduced into a tank where they can compete for food. I think one problem that happens, newbies are told not to add this fish until they are experienced, so sometimes they have 15 fish before introducing a brand new CBB and then the fish does because it doesn’t feel comfortable enough to compete for food. I think they actually work great when they’re introduced as one or the first fish and get to feel like the dominate fish as new tank mates are added. I recently lost a few CBB’s because I tried to add them as my last fish, here’s my video where I talk about that.

MABELED

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone: I have had one for a year now, and it is a beauty. The first weeks I thought my Chelmon had died, but when I went to look for it so that it would not decompose inside my tank, it appeared more relaxed and eating live brine shrimp very happy. I feel like what helped me thrive was that I had a lot of microfauna and that kept him going while he adjusted. It is one of my favorites, but I recommend it for mature tanks and for more experienced and patient hobbyists.

MABELED

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone: I have had one for a year now, and it is a beauty. The first weeks I thought my Chelmon had died, but when I went to look for it so that it would not decompose inside my tank, it appeared more relaxed and eating live brine shrimp very happy. I feel like what helped me thrive was that I had a lot of microfauna and that kept him going while he adjusted. It is one of my favorites, but I recommend it for mature tanks and for more experienced and patient hobbyists.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mastic ( spelling?) food and a butterfly "feeder" is the best way to go. Copper-banded and other butterfly fish cannot compete against more aggressive feeders. SO make a "feeder" that their long nose/snout can fit in but other fish cannot get at the food. Mastic is a specific type of food for fish that like to pick and not gulp = it is a sticky paste. Go to either the 3rmas or the 3 Rivers Marine Aquarium Society Facebook pages (cant remember which one I put the thread in about a year ago) to see my video - scroll down a bit and you will see my thread on it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a quarantine setup... don't know what to do...
get one - run to petco now and pickup something. I have their 5g rectangle combo as a handy little QT. Can you do better than this for QT, sure! But if you need something it gets you going. Move DT water over if you have no salt already mixed, then mix salt tonight to replace what you took from DT.

Also recommend getting an acclimation box, but you have time between QT to let fish heal from tang attack, so while fish in QT get something for acclimation back in your DT. Having mirror handy helps, but not for bully tangs like mine. Saw someone take a critter keeper, cut slots in sides with dremel to make acclimation box. I had a CPR hang on acclimation box, which seemed great, but then fish only wanted to allow new fish to live/swim where the acclimation box had hung.... I've ordered a SHU from Octo Aquatics for my next future acclimation attempt...

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. I'm brand new and need some help with posting and hoping you can help me. I can see how to post a reply, but where the !@##$ do you start a comment? Good luck with the copperband - my favorite fish!
Perhaps you already figured this out.... if not then go out to 'Forums' (black bar menu at top), pick/click your category to go in, far upper right click 'Post Thread' to start new conversation about something

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Should the Copperband Butterfly Fish be attempted in our home aquariums?

Best said : There are fish that will are challenging and there fish that will challenge the most experienced hobbyist. Like the moorish idol, these CBB were one impossible to feed but have gotten easier to feed due to better collection practices (cyanide as an example) and quarantining and food processes. I would say at minimum, have an established tank that will more than support this species.

2. What are your personal experiences with the CBB? Also any tips for those of you who have been successful?

I have had three over last 5 years (one was sold , as it was an offer I couldnt refuse ) but ive never had an issue getting copperband to eat. Be patient with the feeding regimen especially if you seeing it grazing. It will come around. Seems LRS Herbivore diet has always been an enticer for them to eat. This one in pics, well over two years

1616200113277.png
1616200129558.png
1616200150711.png
1616200181023.png
I got one on hold . Can't wait to get him. Saw on at WWC in Florida when I drove there and they had one in each reef tank, so that changed my mind about adding one to my mainly LPS,zoa,paly and a few sps ..

Back