Yet another cycling question

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I set up a 135 litre tank with dry rock and dry sand twelve days ago. My local fish store advised me to use Dr Tim’s one and only and dose with ammonia. On the second day the ammonia was already 2ppm or higher. I was using the Red Sea marine testing kit so the ammonia may have been higher. The ammonia is now down to 0.2 but the nitrites aren’t going down at all, the colour is the brightest pink so is suspect much higher than test result show.

it’s now day 13, is there anything else I need to do or can do to make the nitrites come down faster?. Or do I have to just be more patient?.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I set up a 135 litre tank with dry rock and dry sand twelve days ago. My local fish store advised me to use Dr Tim’s one and only and dose with ammonia. On the second day the ammonia was already 2ppm or higher. I was using the Red Sea marine testing kit so the ammonia may have been higher. The ammonia is now down to 0.2 but the nitrites aren’t going down at all, the colour is the brightest pink so is suspect much higher than test result show.

it’s now day 13, is there anything else I need to do or can do to make the nitrites come down faster?. Or do I have to just be more patient?.
You could do a massive water change if you’re concerned over nitrite, but it’s accepted that it’s not toxic in salt water.

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is toxic. It will take a good few weeks + to cycle. Starting with dry mean you need to the alow the bacteria time to establish and grow. As it does it will process the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Be patient. After your ammonia drops to 0 then your nitrites will start dropping. When both are 0 you can add something small. Don't load tank with livestock right away. The bacteria can only process some much at this point. Start with something small and durable. When you start seeing growth (algee) you can add clean up crew and/or something like a algee eating blenny. Just don't rush it. It will cost you.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite is toxic. It will take a good few weeks + to cycle. Starting with dry mean you need to the alow the bacteria time to establish and grow. As it does it will process the ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. Be patient. After your ammonia drops to 0 then your nitrites will start dropping. When both are 0 you can add something small. Don't load tank with livestock right away. The bacteria can only process some much at this point. Start with something small and durable. When you start seeing growth (algee) you can add clean up crew and/or something like a algee eating blenny. Just don't rush it. It will cost you.
Ok thank you. The initial plan is just two small clown fish and clean up care when needed.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In freshwater it is, yes. Not on the salty side, well not at the levels ever obtained in a cycle. For what it’s worth I would also wait till it comes down naturally, but to say it’s toxic is plain wrong.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @Garf. What is your ammonia 'now'. One problem with many of the bacterial products - if you dose too much ammonia - you can slow or even kill the bacteria. So - do you happen to know if your ammonia was in fact higher than 2 ppm? If so - your cycle may take longer. Second - I can never remember which does what - but one of the tests - either too high a nitrate or too high a nitrate can interfere with the measurement of the other one - so you should have a nitrate reading as well.

Second - I would double check your tests a really high nitrite would be extremely 'odd' at 13 days - unless there was a dosing mistake. Also - you can take your sample to a fish store that can re-check the tests. But - importantly - the only way interpret the 'cycle' - is to have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate measurements at the same time (most important - ammonia and nitrate).

Third - if you have the situation where the level of a measurement that is greater than the upper level you can dilute the sample with tank water. For example if Ammonia reads >2, you can make a new sample with 1:1 Tank water and Fresh saltwater (i..e not from the tank) - then you. get your reading and multiply by 2 to get the actual number

Hope this helps!!! Welcome to the site

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting thanks. I don’t know what level the nitrate is. My test only goes up to two and the colour of the specimen is much stronger than the “2” on the chart. So I’ll wait till I definitely have 0 for ammonia and go from there.
Yeah, you have to get a zero reading of nitrite before you can get an accurate(ish) nitrate reading.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Garf. What is your ammonia 'now'. One problem with many of the bacterial products - if you dose too much ammonia - you can slow or even kill the bacteria. So - do you happen to know if your ammonia was in fact higher than 2 ppm? If so - your cycle may take longer. Second - I can never remember which does what - but one of the tests - either too high a nitrate or too high a nitrate can interfere with the measurement of the other one - so you should have a nitrate reading as well.

Second - I would double check your tests a really high nitrite would be extremely 'odd' at 13 days - unless there was a dosing mistake. Also - you can take your sample to a fish store that can re-check the tests. But - importantly - the only way interpret the 'cycle' - is to have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate measurements at the same time (most important - ammonia and nitrate).

Third - if you have the situation where the level of a measurement that is greater than the upper level you can dilute the sample with tank water. For example if Ammonia reads >2, you can make a new sample with 1:1 Tank water and Fresh saltwater (i..e not from the tank) - then you. get your reading and multiply by 2 to get the actual number

Hope this helps!!! Welcome to the site
Thanks for a great reply. I made sure to dose the correct ammonia of ammonia on the first day. The next day the ammonia was very high and I might have been higher than the test as you say. It’s very hard to tell with the test I have. The ammonia is around 0.2/0.4. It seemed a little stronger today like it had risen slightly. If I had followed the instructions if dr Tim’s I would have been dosing ammonia a few times but I’ve only done it once as it’s was already so strong on the test result.
This was the nitrites test specimen yesterday https://ibb.co/bXWmZw8

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for a great reply. I made sure to dose the correct ammonia of ammonia on the first day. The next day the ammonia was very high and I might have been higher than the test as you say. It’s very hard to tell with the test I have. The ammonia is around 0.2/0.4. It seemed a little stronger today like it had risen slightly. If I had followed the instructions if dr Tim’s I would have been dosing ammonia a few times but I’ve only done it once as it’s was already so strong on the test result.
This was the nitrites test specimen yesterday https://ibb.co/bXWmZw8
The problem with Dr. Tim's ammonia - is that the drop size can be different depending on how hard you squeeze the bottle, how you hold the bottle, etc. When I first started doing ammonia experiments - when I used the drops recommended - I got about 5 PPM instead of '2'.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with Dr. Tim's ammonia - is that the drop size can be different depending on how hard you squeeze the bottle, how you hold the bottle, etc. When I first started doing ammonia experiments - when I used the drops recommended - I got about 5 PPM instead of '2'.
Ahh ok. I did the drops into a container before putting it into the tank but that could be possible. If there was too much put in does it just mean it will take longer to cycle?.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrite is not toxic to marine life unless it is off the charts for our home saltwater test kits

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I apologize if the LFS and others that guided me last year while cycling my tank lumped ammonia and nitrite together when explaining toxicity and need to be at 0 before proceeding. Disregard my post and I will just sit down and shut up now.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
didnt mean it like that i just linked it after garf so wanted to give him some credit for also having it at hand, sorry if it came off too blunt

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrites finally dropped to zero today (day 16). The ammonia has been stuck on 0.2 for about five days now. Will that just come down or do I need to do anything else?.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my nitrites finally dropped to zero today (day 16). The ammonia has been stuck on 0.2 for about five days now. Will that just come down or do I need to do anything else?.
Congrats. No further action required, stock slowly from a fish shop where all livestock appears healthy. I’m guessing that you won’t be quarantining any fish yourself so you need a reliable healthy source.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats. No further action required, stock slowly from a fish shop where all livestock appears healthy. I’m guessing that you won’t be quarantining any fish yourself so you need a reliable healthy source.
Oh really?. Doesn’t the ammonia have to be 0 too?. I have been visiting a local store where I have got the water/rocks and testing kit. I was just thinking of two small clown fish for the first stock.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back