Yet another discussion... is naming corals making the hobby less desirable?

Are Coral Names Getting In The Way Of You Enjoying The Hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 114 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, we should grade them too. PS10 green slimer...$10k. :cool:

Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and I don't!
If I see a coral that I like, having a good naming system can help me find it! The problem is "a good naming system."
the other problem is, for those people that think that other people are in business not make money. Money is the only reason for that headache!
It also amazes me that nobody wants named corals and nobody is going to pay that much for them, and yet, they are being named and sold and WWC and other are doing good business! And they should!

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free market will always win. If people weren’t buying the fancy names corals, then they wouldn’t be doing it. There is for sure marketing and psychology involved here, but that doesn’t mean it can’t also be fun. Names don’t bother me as long as they contain the type of coral, so I know how to care for it.
P.S. Does anyone find the WWC ads in between posts hilarious!?

613AA97D-107F-4BF9-8834-EED345A8E671.png

Damage12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole name game and price gouging has soured me on this hobby which I have been in for about 15 years.

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time it really bothers me is when I see a seller rename a known coral or strain of coral just so they can put a larger price tag on it. What sucks is that I see it more and more.

Birddog61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its my opinion led lighting has contributed to the current craze. Seems everything that pops under royal blue is getting a name and the price to match. See cheetah mushroom in previous post. , odds are you couldent give it away. During the t5 & or metal halide days. on the other hand when somthing truly special. Shows up such as jawbreaker mushroom. a name is kinda fitting . in addition the recent bans on exporting have allowed above practices to become seated deeply in the market. By bottoming supply while demand is still growing

Back