Yet another discussion... is naming corals making the hobby less desirable?

Are Coral Names Getting In The Way Of You Enjoying The Hobby?

• Yes

Votes: 114 54.0%
  • No

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had an incident happen to me yesterday... I put up a shroom FT that was given to me as a so called Hobbit bounce... Come to find out it wasnt a Hobbit bounce. Was told by a few locals... One had told me That the guy I got it from had traded it to him as a CK Big Daddy... okay cool, but then another said it was a CK Godspawn... I was so overwhelmed with confusion that I pulled the ads down because I just really cant trade it if I font 100% know the name which is absurd... Im trying to get more variety of mushrooms for my collection and thats why I had put some babies up for trade. First off, I use this hobby as therapy to keep me occupied and constantly thinking. When stuff like this happens, I immediately go into panic mode and feel like Im being ganged up on... which I know isn’t the case, but my mind tells me other wise... Second, I go into a hibernation like state where I shut all forms of communication off and just keep it the hobby and I... I start going into a reef depression... lol...I feel like I can only enjoy this hobby by myself... which sucks... I believe the name game has got to hit a bubble... This hobby seems to almost mimic some other industries with their names and marketing like strategies... again please dont hang me... just wanted to see what everyone had to say because Im entering reef hibernation mode again... lol
Ive attached photos of the mushrooms I have for trade... then stock photos of CK Godspawn and CK big daddy

D61EEDF8-1FB9-4B42-8BF7-0535D5D60C48.jpeg 0AECBB77-F6E3-4E05-ABA4-083BAF028899.jpeg 52BFC8A3-99CF-49AC-B2D1-92CD7C4F3A10.jpeg 46A77CEC-12EA-4789-BD5B-A4215ADA181C.jpeg F90255CC-B15C-42A5-B5B9-1179F904E5A1.png D0EE787E-B878-42CE-A2E0-9A1931FCCDA0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, I buy the things I like the look of regardless of name and only buy when I think it’s worth the price. I think at the end of the day it’s subjective.

I say make up your own names and charge what you want. :)

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day, I buy the things I like the look of regardless of name and only buy when I think it’s worth the price. I think at the end of the day it’s subjective.

I say make up your own names and charge what you want. :)
This is where there might be an issue with local reefers though... If they sold/traded a $600 mushroom to someone as an X shroom and the guy that bought/traded it found out it was a Y shroom then there is gonna be a game of he said she said... word travels fast here in California

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean like wwc selling a caroliniana acro as a baby yoda acro and jacking up the price, the same with their green zoas. I mean how ridiculously stupid...

I used up my store credit and now will never buy from them again actually for the nonsense.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where there might be an issue with local reefers though... If they sold/traded a $600 mushroom to someone as an X shroom and the guy that bought/traded it found out it was a Y shroom then there is gonna be a game of he said she said... word travels fast here in California

Trading is a whole other animal. I’m not anywhere near being able to do that, so buying it is for me.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with "CK Big Daddy " but likely the CK is the namer / store / person / whatever. So unless you got it from CK it's not a CK. It's not like these places take a frag from the ocean and blow the rest up. Some pieces are certainly unique to a vendor but eventually someone else gets it either because they grow it out or by sheer luck its found by someone else in the ocean.

Naming corals started well over 10 years ago. It got out of hand probably more then 5 years ago. Thankfully lineage never really took over too because who cares where you got it from, as long as it looks good to you and you enjoy it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like names. It helps me with identifying pieces and I like having different identifiers for different types/colors of the same species of coral (a. Millepora for example comes in a plethora of variations). It does frustrate me when people name things as something bc they think it looks similar to this or that but know that it did not descend from that piece. The argument of "it all comes from the ocean" seems very odd to me since it seems to be an attempt to deny the uniqueness of different pieces. I'm someone who actually does care whether or not the piece I've got actually is what I'm calling it.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drives me nuts. Esp when no one has a clue what you are taking about bc someone in your area made up the name of a coral 79736 other people also “created” and all named it something else. “Designer” dog breeds of the coral world.

Marine Needle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's why the guy said "Bob". It was a bit tongue in cheek, I understand the identifying aspect of it, but it does get silly at times.

YHyperBull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im only new but i feel if you stick to the taxonomical names, you will get a lot farther than trying to sell it with kinda weird naming
update : i may be misinterpreting the conversation...idk im tired.

Viridis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every animal hobby has their fair share of stupid names for variations/morphs. Ball python morphs get a new name if there's an extra dot and then sold for thousands because it's "new". Same for crested geckos.

What I dislike is the lack of latin names. I realize there are undescribed spp., but calling it "ABC Unicorn Intestines" instead of something like Acropora sp. 'ABC Unicorn Intestines' is annoying to me. It's a small change, but I really like having the latin. Maybe I'm just annoyingly picky :p.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never understood names. It’s like trying to figure out how they come up with show dog akc name. personally I see a coral, I like it, I pay what it is worth to me. Same if I sell it. i Don’t buy a coral to brag or show it off, it’s to look at. Taking names out makes it so much easier.

i have A guess for the other coral

E78C4056-6DD7-4CC6-A5E8-EEBA40CE039F.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back