Yet another GHA question...

Proctor614

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a GHA outbreak. Looking for feedback on my plan of attack. Too aggressive? Do more?

Waterbox 70.3 running bare bottom 1 year 9 months. Latest ICP test: Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, Phosphorous 1.56microgram/L
CUC is: various size and style Hermit Crabs, several Trochus snails, 1 pincushion urchin

Back Story: We were heavily feeding to attempt to raise nitrates and phosphates for new and existing corals but before we went on vacation last month we dialed it back because we were going to be gone for 2 weeks. We had someone assigned to simply empty the skimmer, change the socks, and call us if there's a problem (dead fish/coral). When we left the GHA was just recently beginning to get bothersome but it wasn't something we could rightly address while we were out of town. Since middle of last month when we got back, every weekend I pluck and do a water change but it seems like its growing back faster and faster.

My plan:
Aggressively pluck and scrub the rocks in the tank
1 week blackout.
Increase the refugium light schedule (we use sea lettuce) to help combat and absorb the nutrients cast off of the dying algae.
Continue with weekly water change. (do I up the water change schedule to starve out the algae?)
I'm afraid what this would all do to our mixed lps/sps setup.

I'd love to be able to pull the rocks out and paint all the areas of GHA with peroxide for a minute or two and rinse with old tank water like it was a frag plug....but that's not reasonable or realistic with this scape.

GHA 10.29.jpg

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a GHA outbreak. Looking for feedback on my plan of attack. Too aggressive? Do more?

Waterbox 70.3 running bare bottom 1 year 9 months. Latest ICP test: Nitrate 0, Phosphate 0, Phosphorous 1.56microgram/L
CUC is: various size and style Hermit Crabs, several Trochus snails, 1 pincushion urchin

Back Story: We were heavily feeding to attempt to raise nitrates and phosphates for new and existing corals but before we went on vacation last month we dialed it back because we were going to be gone for 2 weeks. We had someone assigned to simply empty the skimmer, change the socks, and call us if there's a problem (dead fish/coral). When we left the GHA was just recently beginning to get bothersome but it wasn't something we could rightly address while we were out of town. Since middle of last month when we got back, every weekend I pluck and do a water change but it seems like its growing back faster and faster.

My plan:
Aggressively pluck and scrub the rocks in the tank
1 week blackout.
Increase the refugium light schedule (we use sea lettuce) to help combat and absorb the nutrients cast off of the dying algae.
Continue with weekly water change. (do I up the water change schedule to starve out the algae?)
I'm afraid what this would all do to our mixed lps/sps setup.

I'd love to be able to pull the rocks out and paint all the areas of GHA with peroxide for a minute or two and rinse with old tank water like it was a frag plug....but that's not reasonable or realistic with this scape.

GHA 10.29.jpg
That is quite a bit. Pluck and scrub will be a good start first. Pluck what you can and then a new tooth brush. Elbow grease. Then flux or that type product.

lumpadelic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used reef flux and it did not kill any corals or macro algae. Took about 3 weeks though.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d bump your nitrate and phosphate up into the normal running levels first by direct dose making it available to organizisms right away, then remove as you planned, otherwise, it’s just going to return.

Snails, get them working, and keep redirecting their efforts to the GHA affected areas.

It’s zeroed nutrients (either or both) that bring pest type algae’s.

Vibrant when dosed correctly will soften the GHA up then it can be brushed in the tank and siphoned out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back