Yet another noob question

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a few months off of starting my main tank and I was wondering if I should start up my qt tank to get it cycled. I'm thinking I could get live sand and rocks in there and maybe a hardy fish or 2, once it's cycled of course. Then when I do get my main tank I will have the cycle done and can move most of the stuff into there.

Would this be a good way to get warmed back up to the whole process, or just unnecessary extra work?

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good idea if all works out, but often it does not. You may have to convert your quarantine in a hospital tank, and all of a sudden we talk medication absorption by rock work and sand, biomass death due to antibiotics. So no I would not chance it.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely worth cycling your rock in advance if you're using dry rock.
I have just started mine off in the garage.
I built up the core shapes for my final aquascape using a template, bonded it all together with 2part epoxy and super glue.
20201019_153354.jpg
Transferred it to a Brute bin with a circulation pump, heater and air stone.
I am dosing Dr Timms ammonia and have used live and dormant bacteria to get everything going.
I will keep up the dosing and a weekly water change for the next two months and transfer the rock directly into the new tank, so there will be no die off.
Brute bins are food safe and by a company called rubbermaid.
20201110_080217.jpg

Last edited:

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100% this. I did 50/50 as some of my structures were built later in the process but the rock I had cycled in advance meant that I didn't have to cycle the tank and I did it in a spare sump tank I had. I didn't even test the params in the cycle of rock, just dumped it all in and dose following the instructions (I used the microbactor cycle and 7) and then tested the water from day 1 in the tank when I move it in and there was no extra cycle.

You don't need the fish, they will do better if you put them straight into your fully cycled tank on day 0 because there is less stress.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't decided on what rock to use yet. I know I want a central structure for an anemone, but not sure what would work best yet.
I need to decide what rock I will use and start moving forward with that.
Thanks for the input, I need all the help I can get.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
At- ricks yes- sand not necessary. Some hiding tubes good and obviously treatments and test kits especially a copper test kit

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brute also makes heavy duty totes which are great for cycling rock, using as a hospital tank, and storing your fish supplies. I bought mine at Menards.

B2050497.jpg 086876217223.jpg

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'm leaning towards reef savers rock now, just not certain how much yet for a 20 cube, is it 1 lb/gal?
Im planning on using lfs mixed water $1/g seems reasonable to me and I don't need to worry about a mix station.
If I'm ever in the UK I may take you up on that offer Ludders lol.
I don't have any brute totes yet but will see what will work, thanks.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1 lb. per gallon is usually too much in my experience. For a 20 cube...maybe start with 12-15 lbs and see how it looks to you. You want to leave plenty of room around the rock for water flow (to prevent dead spots) as well as swimming room for the fish.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 lb. per gallon is usually too much in my experience. For a 20 cube...maybe start with 12-15 lbs and see how it looks to you. You want to leave plenty of room around the rock for water flow (to prevent dead spots) as well as swimming room for the fish.
Thanks, if I haven't said it on this post yet it's going to be just 2 clowns and an anemone. I want the anemone to be the centerpiece but also have plenty of live rock in there as well. I haven't decided how I want it to look yet.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Good luck on making the anemone the centerpiece...it's tough to get them to stay in one spot. The key will be a hole in the rock for it to put it's foot in and lighting...they tend to slowly gravitate to where they can get the most light.

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on making the anemone the centerpiece...it's tough to get them to stay in one spot. The key will be a hole in the rock for it to put it's foot in and lighting...they tend to slowly gravitate to where they can get the most light.
I have thought about something kinda bowl shaped in the middle with some raised corners/pillars....it's hard to explain lol. The light should be plenty, I got the waterbox with I think aiprime?

OP
OP
Matt Miller

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is AI PRIME 16HD REEF

Should I plan on a powerhead as well or would the return be enough flow for it? I know they can be deadly to anemones, but I could get one of the covers and not worry about that?

ShrimpBandit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started mine off in the garage.
I built up the core shapes for my final aquascape using a template, bonded it all together with 2part epoxy and super glue.
20201019_153354.jpg
Transferred it to a Brute bin with a circulation pump, heater and air stone.
I am dosing Dr Timms ammonia and have used live and dormant bacteria to get everything going.
I will keep up the dosing and a weekly water change for the next two months and transfer the rock directly into the new tank, so there will be no die off.
Brute bins are food safe and by a company called rubbermaid.
20201110_080217.jpg

Which 2 part epoxy did you use? I've been working on my scape - Did initial structure with super glue gel, then went back and covered all the joints with EMarco-400. Supposedly, it's supposed to be solid, but after a week, I picked up a side and it immediately broke, and in a Mr. Bean-like series of moves, I managed to break a few other pieces before the dust settled. Of course, I ran out of the non-specified "liquid polymer" that came with the kit, so I bought some JB Weld ClearWeld that smells AWFUL. I'm hopeful that it'll be cured and safe by the time it goes in my tank, but I'd like to have another option in case of future disaster.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used milliput and a crap load of superglue. What I found was the milliput wouldn't hold the rock, but once set you could add superglue and it bonded well to the milliput and rock.
All in all was a complete mare, but I did succeed eventually :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back