Yet another opinions thread... lol

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have been working on my NSA scape tonight. This is what I have so far. This will be going into a 120G bowfront tank. I am kinda leaning towards having this be in the front center with 2 larger taller pieces on the sides toward the rear to help create depth and levels.

Built this using thin CA glue and baking soda and powdered rock...

The two small pieces on the ends of the branches are not glued in yet. I am thinking of using them to support shelf plates. Not quite sure yet.

IMG_0395.JPG IMG_0396.JPG IMG_0398.JPG IMG_0399.JPG IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0402.JPG

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have rods drilled in there for support? If it were my project, I would not trust CA glue to hold those arms. I'd also be concerned with it tipping over. Just my two pennies.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have rods drilled in there for support? If it were my project, I would not trust CA glue to hold those arms. I'd also be concerned with it tipping over. Just my two pennies.

No. Don't need it. I decided to do a small modification this morning and the rock broke while the joint held fast. That CA glue with baking soda makes an incredibly strong bond that sets almost instantly. Every joint is made with a liberal amount of baking soda/glue and then finished with the powdered rock to make a more natural look.

For those of you still wondering if this method works, the answer is absolutely YES!! I have seen videos of several methods of doing this type of project. What I found worked best for me is this:

Hold the pieces together how you intend them to be. Add baking soda where the rock touches. Squeeze a few drops of glue over the joint and hold a few seconds. The rocks should hold together well enough that you don't have to hold the joint together anymore. Now that you have the rocks "tacked" together, you can reinforce the joint by repeating the process as many times as needed. For large gaps, stuff with the very small rubble chips, baking soda and a good shot of glue. To give the joint the final finished look, cover the joint with powdered rock dust, and a shot of glue. Repeat as necessary.

Here is the final piece that will go into my tank (as soon as I can go get it lol)

IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0410.JPG

Last edited:

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some smaller pieces glue them around the bottom and create a few caves. Don't use mortar on them though, just glue. You can put them in places where you will be able to look and see your fish all the time.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I should add... The fumes from this glue are strong. I suggest that you do this in a VERY well ventilated space, or wear a respirator. Also, unless you want to spend the next day or two scrubbing sand off your fingers, wear disposable rubber gloves (found THAT one out the hard way lol)

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on glue and baking soda. I like it. Much better than mortar. If you use mortar, you wind up covering large parts of the rock making it less porous, defeating the number one reason to use the rock in the first place. I've made one so far and made several caves quickly and easily. NSAs are nice, but I don't the lack of habitat for the fish. I also didn't like the idea of smothering the pores and holes with mortar.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some smaller pieces glue them around the bottom and create a few caves. Don't use mortar on them though, just glue. You can put them in places where you will be able to look and see your fish all the time.

Thanks. This is the first piece of 3 that I intend for my scape. This one will be in the front middle area, so I want to keep this one more open. The ones that will go behind and to the sides will have all the cave work in them.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I should add... The fumes from this glue are strong. I suggest that you do this in a VERY well ventilated space, or wear a respirator. Also, unless you want to spend the next day or two scrubbing sand off your fingers, wear disposable rubber gloves (found THAT one out the hard way lol)
BTW, can you mail me some food from the mexican restaurant by Sonic?

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little taste of India will also work. The sushi place from across the movie theater downtown will also work. I never thought I'd miss Merced.
Little Taste of India is expensive and not that special. There is a new place that opened a few years ago over off Yosemite and G (by the big church) called Tumerics that IMO is far superior!

I have yet to find a Vietnamese place here that compares to some of the ones in San Jose. I'm going to be headed over there soon when my parents move back from Oregon, maybe I can get you a good bowl from there lol.

Are you talking about Marias? Or, am I thinking about Mario's?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maria's. The other one is not good BTW. Little taste of India is only good off the menu. The buffet looked disgusting. I miss Naan. Montana seems to only serve pizza and burgers. Good Thai food all over San Jose, it was my favorite part of flying from the airport there.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maria's. The other one is not good BTW. Little taste of India is only good off the menu. The buffet looked disgusting. I miss Naan. Montana seems to only serve pizza and burgers. Good Thai food all over San Jose, it was my favorite part of flying from the airport there.

When I want good Mexican food, I go to Cortez Taco truck... :)

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've gotten a bit off-topic here.. lol

Back to business.. I also have a couple small pieces of old coral skeleton left over from my first failed attempt at salt water tanks, What do you guys think about adding these to my tank?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've gotten a bit off-topic here.. lol

Back to business.. I also have a couple small pieces of old coral skeleton left over from my first failed attempt at salt water tanks, What do you guys think about adding these to my tank?
There is nothing wrong with that. They should neither hurt nor help.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the "Scales of Justice" rock formation.

For the old coral, I would put the first 6 inches in the sump and just use the one on the right in the display. $02.

Thread made me hungry, :)
London Food GIF by Pitta lab

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back