Yet another RS 425XL build and need some opinions

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first post and I am totally new to reefing so please be gentle. Below is a list of what I have so far. Although I have followed so many builds, watched more very educational YouTube videos in the last few weeks than probably have my whole life and learned A TON... I still have a few questions.

What we have so far
Bigger stuff

RS 425XL
RS 90 Reef Light x 2
RS Reef Wave 25 x 2
Nyos 120 skimmer
RO Vario-6 pump
200 watt Eheim heater
200 watt BRS heater
Inkbird controller
Neptune Apex EL
Neptune DOS x 1 (thinking about a 2nd one for ATO but more on that in a bit)
Tunze 3155 Osmolator (See above, probably will not be using)
Neptune LDK with extra optical sensor
Neptune VDM and Icecap cable to control return pump
60lbs Caribsea rock
80lbs Caribsea select sand
Tropic Marin Pro salt

AWC and ATO stuff

BRS stage 4 WS RODI
1x50 and 2x35 Brute trash cans
3 BRS float switches
1 65 Firewire USB (connect Apex to DOS in garage)
4 60 ft dos lines (run through wall outside house and thru conduit back into garage)

Process of building a 1" manifold with several unions and 3 gate valves (1 to replace stock drain valve)

So general thoughts and suggestions so far? Mainly shooting for LM with fish and Softy/ LPS tank. Plan on 5% AW changes every couple of days. Really not sure want all the hassle with a fuge but thinking maybe a Algae reactor or scrubber?
Other questions
Should I only need to run 1 "usb" cable to the garage? Even if I add the 2nd DOS unit? Any easier/ cheaper way to to ATO that distance safely? Anything else should run to garage now as will be a BIG PITA to go back and add later? Was thinking about a UV but only one that really would fit would be the 18 watt Aqua unit with seems a little undersized for tank volume. With the Apex do I really need the Inkbird? Want to mount to RS 250's vertically on the back aimed to fire off the sides and around like they show as option in the manual?

Anyways, I am sure will have many more question for all the great minds on this site as time goes and very much appreciate any thoughts or advice.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build, so maybe start a build thread as well, and Welcome to R2R!!!

If your going Apex and thinking of using DOS for an ATO, have you considered the ATK as well.

I prefer the Tunze but the ATK might be better for distance etc. Just check the specifications but I think it can pump a fair way

You can daisy chain the DOS units as they will link together, I have 2 like this for water changes.

On the UV unless its powerful enough your wasting your time, although you could slow the flow rate down through it as another option

OP
OP
R

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great build, so maybe start a build thread as well, and Welcome to R2R!!!

If your going Apex and thinking of using DOS for an ATO, have you considered the ATK as well.

I prefer the Tunze but the ATK might be better for distance etc. Just check the specifications but I think it can pump a fair way

You can daisy chain the DOS units as they will link together, I have 2 like this for water changes.

On the UV unless its powerful enough your wasting your time, although you could slow the flow rate down through it as another option
So I went ahead and ordered a Pentair 25 watt UV. Think I am going to mount it top of cabinet and run the 1.5" outlets from the pump straight to it and the reduce to 1" after for the rest of the manifold and return. Can control flow rate of pump so should be able to get it near optimum flow.

As far as the Tunze vs ATK, I was going to go ATK but their pump reliability seems to be an issue on the reviews I have read (same with not going with Cor 20 pump). Was wondering about the Tunze pushing water 65f ft thru a few 90's ect plus how to trigger it in garage? Went ahead and got a 2nd DOS unit too.

I am thinking of putting another FMM module in the garage for water levels (resevoirs) and leak detection so assuming cannot daisy chain that off the DOS units for that can I? I ordered another 65 Aquabus cable to run just in case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back