OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't count, the frag rag is FAR too clean!!

So I HATE putting a frag rack in the display (you know, because it takes up like half the tank, haha) so once I made sure all the zoas were cut and glued properly, I'll move it into the sump.

I had a hitchiker yuma bounce that ended up splitting, I obviously don't have the lineage, but they look like Godzilla Rainbow Yuma Bounce. Actually I think these look better! I also ended grabbing OG Jawbreaker mushroom, but that's not photo worthy yet.

Agree.
Seems like all fresh stuff.
Also the zoas are good looking

It is all fresh stuff, but it's frags that have received an internal promotion. A portion of my zoas in the tank were growing into each other, and I had to do a little snipping to make sure some of the slower growers didn't get choked out.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I HATE putting a frag rack in the display (you know, because it takes up like half the tank, haha) so once I made sure all the zoas were cut and glued properly, I'll move it into the sump.

I had a hitchiker yuma bounce that ended up splitting, I obviously don't have the lineage, but they look like Godzilla Rainbow Yuma Bounce. Actually I think these look better! I also ended grabbing OG Jawbreaker mushroom, but that's not photo worthy yet.
haha I have some frag racks in my tank but I try and make them as inconspicuous as possible! lol which never works because I only put my favourite frags in the DT and I end up drawing all the attention to the rack haha

Oh nice!! I have a JB in my tank but it's been the size of a dime for months now :( I wish it would get big and develop more colours!! haha

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I have some frag racks in my tank but I try and make them as inconspicuous as possible! lol which never works because I only put my favourite frags in the DT and I end up drawing all the attention to the rack haha

Oh nice!! I have a JB in my tank but it's been the size of a dime for months now :( I wish it would get big and develop more colours!! haha

Thats my jawbreaker experience as well. I have seen some of them in peoples tanks that have just split and split and split. They said it took years, and then it happened all at once. We will see, I've found stress, or high flow splits the shrooms, but usually the ones I don't want to keep!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful, do you mind if I ask what you are using for dosing? And feeding?

Thank you! I don’t mind one bit! I’m dosing ESV 2 part for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium, and I feed LRS (carnivore blend)

Other than that, it’s water changes and skimming, nothing special!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ec6d60a9b1a5100d9eda3794b2ac9277.jpg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank matured a lot.
This became one of the prettiest nanos around.

Indeed, love the grass (GSP) moving around the rock.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank matured a lot.
This became one of the prettiest nanos around.

Indeed, love the grass (GSP) moving around the rock.

Janci, I appreciate the super kind words! With the maturation came the numbers game, I realized I have been testing my alk almost once a day. I have always loved GSP. You could have the most expensive sticks in your tank, but when somebody who comes over who doesn't know a thing about corals or saltwater, they usually end up loving the fish, anemone, or GSP.

Truth be told, I had purchased another tank, that was still 3' long, but it was 24" wide, and 19" tall. Also rimless. I debated for a few weeks transferring everything over, but upon measuring 19" high, I felt it would look just a little to big and out of place for the space. It would have given me 70 gallons, instead of 22, and I would have really appreciated the extra water volume as things start to sprout out.

I'm certain there is an impending move over the next few years for me, and I think I'll use that opportunity to do Peninsula again, but this time with a Deep Blue 80 gallon. Or maybe something custom. My dream is, if I had a basement on my property, to drop the 22 down into a 100-150 gallon rubbermaid sump, I've always loved ridiculous concepts like this.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci, I appreciate the super kind words! With the maturation came the numbers game, I realized I have been testing my alk almost once a day. I have always loved GSP. You could have the most expensive sticks in your tank, but when somebody who comes over who doesn't know a thing about corals or saltwater, they usually end up loving the fish, anemone, or GSP.

Truth be told, I had purchased another tank, that was still 3' long, but it was 24" wide, and 19" tall. Also rimless. I debated for a few weeks transferring everything over, but upon measuring 19" high, I felt it would look just a little to big and out of place for the space. It would have given me 70 gallons, instead of 22, and I would have really appreciated the extra water volume as things start to sprout out.

I'm certain there is an impending move over the next few years for me, and I think I'll use that opportunity to do Peninsula again, but this time with a Deep Blue 80 gallon. Or maybe something custom. My dream is, if I had a basement on my property, to drop the 22 down into a 100-150 gallon rubbermaid sump, I've always loved ridiculous concepts like this.

I like that idea.
Small display with a big sump for easier control and stability.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like these! How did you configure the dosing lines?

They’re Vosse glass water containers. I just drilled a hole in the lid for the mur-lok push connect bulkhead. There’s 1/4” acrylic rod inside, and just regular dosing tubing on the outside.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found out that the acrylic tubing I bought for the dosing containers doesn't hold a prime. Works great with the RO tubing though. Defeats the purpose of a DIY project, as my intention was to rid the curled tube into the container.

How did I find out? Well, good thing I test my alk daily. I thought my consumption was going up with the recent addition of a tiny clam, so for two days I upped the 2 part by 2ml, and alk was still progressively dropping. Last night I checked a manual run through of the pumps, and the prime on them was completely gone.

Just glad I was home to catch it.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found out that the acrylic tubing I bought for the dosing containers doesn't hold a prime. Works great with the RO tubing though. Defeats the purpose of a DIY project, as my intention was to rid the curled tube into the container.

How did I find out? Well, good thing I test my alk daily. I thought my consumption was going up with the recent addition of a tiny clam, so for two days I upped the 2 part by 2ml, and alk was still progressively dropping. Last night I checked a manual run through of the pumps, and the prime on them was completely gone.

Just glad I was home to catch it.

So the murloc didn’t seal on the acrylic tube that’s a shame I just bought some for a automatic water change setup I was going to do. I guess I will just put the dosing hose directly on the end of the acrylic tube and drill a 1/4” hole in the lids instead of the murloc fittings

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the murloc didn’t seal on the acrylic tube that’s a shame I just bought some for a automatic water change setup I was going to do. I guess I will just put the dosing hose directly on the end of the acrylic tube and drill a 1/4” hole in the lids instead of the murloc fittings

Correct. Give it a shot, as YMMV, but after I found the issue, I went back and read the reviews on BRS, and there are a lot of folks who had the same issue. I don't know if there is a solution, as BRS recommends the 1/4" acrylic rods with the murloc.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I quoted you here so hopefully you can see this!

This is, from what I can see, complete user error on my part, and I imagine all those other folks that have had the same issues. When you insert the rods into the bulkhead, you REALLY need to shove them in there. They may seem like they're locked, but they're probably not, until you get a very firm slide and click. I re-primed, and will continue to monitor, will update if it turns out I'm not the problem!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quoted you here so hopefully you can see this!

This is, from what I can see, complete user error on my part, and I imagine all those other folks that have had the same issues. When you insert the rods into the bulkhead, you REALLY need to shove them in there. They may seem like they're locked, but they're probably not, until you get a very firm slide and click. I re-primed, and will continue to monitor, will update if it turns out I'm not the problem!

Great to know, thanks for quoting me. I was considering returning them since I just got them

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my alk fluctuations from the dosing incident seemed to have not done any favors for the Orange Passion, which slowly has STN'd over the past 5 days or so. Part of the top is still there, so I'm hoping that it'll bounce back, but not hopefully. One piece out of all the many is not too shabby though. Everything else is exploding, just taking my alk into consideration daily, until I can finally get it balanced out again.

I was able to move out a mini colony (large large frag) of forest fire digi, and accidentally broke off the chunk of setosa. I used the new construction opportunity to chisel off the Jedi Mind Trick colony that was approaching all my acros, already starting with the PC Rainbow. This involved removing the whole rock, a flat head screw driver, and a hammer. While the rock was out, I also took a razor blade, and scraped back all the GSP that had started a network structure under the rock and was starting to spread on the other side!

I didn't bother cleaning the glass, and it's been a hot minute since a water change, even though I've got the water made up
default_rolleyes.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back