OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you posted in my thread or I wouldn’t of know about yours. Your tank looks great and is filling out nicely.

I really like your bare bottom and makes me wonder if I should of given mine more of a chance before I put sand in.

Just when I start to think I'm following all the tanks I want to follow I come across more, and there in is the cycle! Thanks for checking my build out!

I was reading a little bit about you adding sand back. This bare bottom came out of necessity a few years ago. The way the sand was getting blown around by my flow, it was mounding up in the center of the tank. Now the bottom is almost completely covered in coraline or corals. I have a few crazy montipora I'm slowly growing out on the floor that will be real show stoppers once they find their stride. I'm most excited about the TSA Minions:

48876543651_85672a6d9a_b.jpg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also having sand blow into piles that I was always fixing but I had to turn my flow way down to stop it. I’d like more flow but then the piles will come again.
Did you have issues when you removed it?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even without sand in my tank I have tons of coralline flakes that turn into little piles of sand and get all up in my rocks. I love high flow in my small tank and sand would make that impossible. Monti’s and small ceramic discs with GSP, LpS’s, zoas, etc cover the bottom of my tanks
A5E326F9-3133-46CC-B4EC-2C17D816DBDC.jpeg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also having sand blow into piles that I was always fixing but I had to turn my flow way down to stop it. I’d like more flow but then the piles will come again.
Did you have issues when you removed it?

Yeah, it was totally form following function.

My tank was fairly young when I made the change, so I didn't see a ton of negatives. I also did it over a couple of weeks, every water change I would remove some sand (and it's only a 22 gallon, so it's a lot easier.) The hardest part was the waiting, the algae film on the glass, the transition into coraline, I imagine it's a lot like growing your hair long. You have to go through the awkward middle phase when you can't really do anything with your hair.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea im diggin that...

If you jump back to post #389 in my thread we discussed it a bit, there's a video not far after I posted (not mine) of the same coral. I haven't figured out how to get true video yet, so photos will have to do for now!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3wks and no update, I feel very sad at the lack of love for us right now :p

Oh man. Well, today was...yesterday was, Thanksgiving. We’re all moved over into the new house SAN’s aquarium. It’s kind of beautiful really, walking into the condo, and the only thing set up is this aquarium, lol!

I’ve been brewing some real big beers, like my 11% English Barleywine. We did thanksgiving with friends, and in just a fess short hours, I’ll be moving the tank over.

I’ve been going to the condo for top off and feeding, but everything is looking great. Attached are some shoddy cell pics. I’m only moving about 45 minutes from where I am, but still worried about his things will fare, especially because there’s a ton of high end pieces in such a small tank.

Anyways, fingers crossed!

85901D0C-F4F8-47D2-A13C-8649931EFE77.jpeg 5F1A7FA8-CBD1-4A53-8F5E-84114DB0EE26.jpeg 1BDF9C6B-C093-4014-9B10-4F3406EA025B.jpeg 0957D943-30D2-4D17-AB6E-AB101F3BC533.jpeg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it. Barely. Breaking down and setting up again took about 13 hours. I will say this though, if you ever want to buy more coral, just package up all your current frags, hold them in a cooler for 10 hours, then put them back in your tank! It’s just like getting an order in, and your reminded that what you have already is fantastic!

EBA08D85-7018-4228-9819-D57348822AF4.jpeg

This is the tank from a much different perspective:
5CEA92A9-F8DD-4255-95D8-BB703FEDA7C7.jpeg

I’ll do a real update when I’m not freaking exhausted, but seems so far *knocks on wood* everything is OK!

Here’s a photo of my boys settling in:
C5C70703-D648-44FF-88AE-D96A69F2E1B9.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made it. Barely. Breaking down and setting up again took about 13 hours. I will say this though, if you ever want to buy more coral, just package up all your current frags, hold them in a cooler for 10 hours, then put them back in your tank! It’s just like getting an order in, and your reminded that what you have already is fantastic!

I’ll do a real update when I’m not freaking exhausted, but seems so far *knocks on wood* everything is OK!

Looks like your three little helpers are exhausted from telling you what to do all day. I hope everything survived and can't wait to see some new pictures of the tank in it's new home!!!

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i feel your pain. my tank transfer took me 12 hours last weekend. new house means new tank :). i sense an upgrade coming...

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol at boys settling in, "whatever daddy"! :)

Exactly. They love couches and chairs. It just takes moving everything into a new space and they think everything is brand new!

So glad to hear everything is across and that the move is over and done with!! :D It's a lot haha

As someone who has just finished, I'm sure you understand! I had to rearrange my office bringing the aquarium over. We're in an older house, and we are lacking electrical outlets on every wall. This tank was really designed for the space that it was in in the condo, I'm still coming to terms with how it looks in its new resting place.

Looks like your three little helpers are exhausted from telling you what to do all day. I hope everything survived and can't wait to see some new pictures of the tank in it's new home!!!

They are just taking a break from being pains in the butt! Tanks in the office now, will see how much of a distraction it will end up being!

i feel your pain. my tank transfer took me 12 hours last weekend. new house means new tank :). i sense an upgrade coming...

It's crazy isn't it?! I thought the same thing about moving, "Oh, this will be so easy, what a piece of cake!" Fast forward, and I've eaten my words on both.

Your spidey senses are tingling for a reason. I do have a tank on the way, I'm currently getting a stand made for it. It's 5'x3'x18", bringing me to roughly 170 gallons sans sump. I plan to put it in the basement, and the only reason I entertained a tank this big is because I am going to get an Imperator Angel and/or a Blueface. I guess that and I need a bit more room for coral now that things are starting to grow out. I'm not in a huge rush to get this setup, because we still need to finish the basement floors, and no good things happen fast. I have a bunch of dried rock, and a skimmer already, debating sump options, and most importantly, lighting.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. They love couches and chairs. It just takes moving everything into a new space and they think everything is brand new!

As someone who has just finished, I'm sure you understand! I had to rearrange my office bringing the aquarium over. We're in an older house, and we are lacking electrical outlets on every wall. This tank was really designed for the space that it was in in the condo, I'm still coming to terms with how it looks in its new resting place.

They are just taking a break from being pains in the butt! Tanks in the office now, will see how much of a distraction it will end up being!

It's crazy isn't it?! I thought the same thing about moving, "Oh, this will be so easy, what a piece of cake!" Fast forward, and I've eaten my words on both.

Your spidey senses are tingling for a reason. I do have a tank on the way, I'm currently getting a stand made for it. It's 5'x3'x18", bringing me to roughly 170 gallons sans sump. I plan to put it in the basement, and the only reason I entertained a tank this big is because I am going to get an Imperator Angel and/or a Blueface. I guess that and I need a bit more room for coral now that things are starting to grow out. I'm not in a huge rush to get this setup, because we still need to finish the basement floors, and no good things happen fast. I have a bunch of dried rock, and a skimmer already, debating sump options, and most importantly, lighting.

That tank is the tank I should have ordered but decided to go with 30" wide!!! Tell me you atleast got some inspiration from mine ;) :p

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you ever want to buy more coral, just package up all your current frags, hold them in a cooler for 10 hours, then put them back in your tank! It’s just like getting an order in, and your reminded that what you have already is fantastic!
LOL, quote of the day!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back