YHSublime's Living Room Nano Peninsulla

FredsNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome, and great write up! I was actually hoping some of the glow in the dark would be left on the stand to give it a cool stabilized wood look feel!

And you are a true rule breaker lol: a wider stand than the tank AND you have a tang in a 22 gal! Traditionalists everywhere are screaming lol. I love it!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is your coralline growth going? I just hit the 4 month mark on my nano yesterday and over the last week or so since I started dosing NO3 and PO4 to keep them stable I have seen little pink/purple spots everywhere.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks awesome, and great write up! I was actually hoping some of the glow in the dark would be left on the stand to give it a cool stabilized wood look feel!

And you are a true rule breaker lol: a wider stand than the tank AND you have a tang in a 22 gal! Traditionalists everywhere are screaming lol. I love it!

Thanks for following along. I kinda wish there was more glow in the dark as well, but it is what it is. I wanted a wider stand for ledges, and so I could accommodate a bigger sump. It’s right by the couch, so it’s always got some sort of beverage on it! The tang is a baby, the tanks 3’ long, I know plenty of people who keep them in 20 gallon frag tanks. It’s not a forever home for it, if I could have afforded it, I would have done a baby Gem Tang, thatd be wild!

So how is your coralline growth going? I just hit the 4 month mark on my nano yesterday and over the last week or so since I started dosing NO3 and PO4 to keep them stable I have seen little pink/purple spots everywhere.

It’s starting to take a hold of the floor after I removed the sand. Slowly, but faster than any of my other tanks. No dosing, no tricks or additives, just heavy skimming and consistent water changes.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks amazing !!

Thank you very much!

Getting some nice colours going in there man! :)

You know, I didn't really notice until I had a buddy drop by this weekend. He commented how great the colors looked. I always see his tank and think the same thing. I'll stand in front of his tank and think "how can I replicate this?" and here he was doing the same thing at my place, lol.

I don't know if it's the super high nutrients, or just KISS, or the fact my bulbs are still fresh, but I'm enjoying it!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you started a thread here, so many people would be amazed , I can tell you :)

This is one of the stand out tanks from nr

Love it

I am not sure if you have shared already, I would love to know the photography detail (camera, lense , post processing etc) if you are comfortable with it

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you started a thread here, so many people would be amazed , I can tell you :)

This is one of the stand out tanks from nr

Love it

I am not sure if you have shared already, I would love to know the photography detail (camera, lense , post processing etc) if you are comfortable with it

I appreciate the positive feedback, thanks very much!

I don't believe I've ever shared on this build, but I've been using the same photo equipment for the better part of half a decade. I've got an old Nikon D90 and I use a Nikkor 70mm lense for most of my tank shots. I have the white balance set, which IMO is one of the most important things you can do. Post, I usually adjust the temperature, and balance as close as I can to what you see in real life. I try my best to stay away from the contrast, and I never use any saturation. Some of the photos are right from the iPhoneX, which for a hot minute had me thinking I could ditch my DSLR, but I wouldn't replace it.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up from a few weeks back. Things are looking great. I am curious - what did you do with the amazing carpet new and why did you remove it?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just caught up from a few weeks back. Things are looking great. I am curious - what did you do with the amazing carpet new and why did you remove it?

Hey Choss! Thanks for stopping through!

I'm constantly changing things, this tank, I'm finding, for the better. I'm doing everything I can from setting up another tank. I've fragged most of my zoanthids, as by the end of the year, I think they will cover most of the rock that I have them on. I plan on starting to grow the new ones out on the glass floor. I have added some more bubble tips, and black widow anemones, all of which have been splitting, and also turned into a small source of revenue for the tank. My goal the past couple of months was to get everything off the floor, and I've accomplished that. This month will be to set up the Apex, and then finally, start testing, I'll be trading some zoas for a nice SPS pack, and I'll most likely need to start looking at dosing soon.

To answer your question, I sold the carpet anemone. I regret it, but it was for the best. It knocked over several rocks, moved all over the tank at first, and ended up settling dangerously close to my overflow, of which, if it decided, could completely cover. With the amount of traveling I'm doing these days, it wasn't something I could trust to a house sitter, and also not a risk I was willing to take. This go around, I want the tank to be as easy as possible, which means I can't keep everything that I want!

I wasn't planning on posting any photos until everything was cleaned up, like no frag racks, or anemone flower pots, haha. Here's a shot of current status:

Here is my ric rock:

This setosa is probably the fastest growing in my tank, right behind it is the walt disney acro, which is doing more encrusting than branching

This Jedi Mind Trick Monti came with me from an old tank, and was the only coral I kept besides my bowser zoanthids. It turned completely purple at one stage, receded almost into nothing, and now is back to almost all its glory. It's encrusting super fast, and will probably end up on my glass floor as well, I just don't want to move it now it's doing well.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude the tank just looks awesome. Different every time but always awesome. Great pics - the Jedi Mind Trick Monti is insane. I wish I lived close by. I'm looking for a few really nice zoas to start adding to the Zoa pillar I'm building out in my tank.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude the tank just looks awesome. Different every time but always awesome. Great pics - the Jedi Mind Trick Monti is insane. I wish I lived close by. I'm looking for a few really nice zoas to start adding to the Zoa pillar I'm building out in my tank.

Thanks!

Yeah, different every time, but it just feels the same for me as I stare at it all day. The Jedi is one of my faves, I'm going to get some Oregon Mummy Chalice for the floor bed as well. I'm in Brooklyn all the time for business, but that's probably not any closer than VA, haha.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know you will by in NYC please let me know. I'd love to meet up and if I can snag a few awesome zoa's that would be fantastic. If you ever get to Westchester County then I'd love to have you stop by and check out my tank. Anyway, keep up the good work. I love seeing this tank progress.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, @YHSublime! Any updated FTS?

Yeah, an update would be fantastic man!

Hey all! Thanks for checking in! Things are moving along. In terms of changes, I'm down to two clownfish, again. I had an anthias, and a valentini puffer, and I think there was just too much bioload. The puffer was fantastic, but my polyp extension disappeared when he went in, and my millies looked dramatically different! I took out all the rock tonight, placed it on a towel, and siphoned everything off the bottom floor. There is much more coraline than I expected, and the tank looks super clean, although the anemones are not very stoked. I'll take pictures tomorrow or Friday, when things are more open and less ticked off!

SPS is doing a ton of encrusting, and now a lot of branching, so I'm hoping to see some future growth real soon!

My ricordea are splitting pretty frequently, which is fun. I envision coating the floor with them, but these things take time. The GSP is covering up the other (front) side of the tank, and I keep trimming it off the walls.

Cheers!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back