YHSublime's Living Room Nano Peninsulla

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it’s a time of year or something? They are laying them everywhere!
On Saturday I had Cerith eggs everywhere. At least three large strings of them in different places. Weird, I always get them on the glass, but these were all on the bare bottom.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! Just shows you that you don't need a 300 gallon tank for it to look amazing! Great job!

Thanks, Scott!

In some ways it’s a lot easier, but in others, it’s a lot harder! I miss every large tank build I’ve had, but I’ve been happiest with this one!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is still chugging along, I didn't clean the glass at all (for a long time now) so I could show everyone the baby snails that are still popping up with some quick and dirty photos from last night.

I'm starting to see some pretty intense coral warfare, so I'll have to do some trimming and probably deciding who's going to fill in prime real estate. The only thing I'm really doing these days besides feeding the clowns is an water change x2 a month, and it's a bit boring tbh.

I'm also debating cleaning up my glass floor. Some zoanthids have taken to growing out, but I think my flow is so high now that there's not a lot of real estate for them to thrive in comfortably.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis and stylos on the floor is the way to go. BTW loving the way this tank is looking. I joined my first reef form right before this tank was started and its amazing how far she's come.

Right now I'm rocking TSA Minions, JF Kung Pow, and JF Beach Bum, I will definitely keep all of them. Even my Mummy Eye Chalice is starting to get close to the rock, and grow up the side of the tank. There is some deferred maintenance that needs to happen now that things are growing. And thanks for following along!

Look at all them baby snails! :D Tank is still looking really nice even with dirty glass!

I counted them on one of the side panes this morning, and I stopped counting when I got to 100. The lights aren't on yet, so it makes it easy to see them all, I also am pretty sure they are nocturnal, even though mine are out no matter what.

My ATO container has been running dry, I was about 2.5 gallons shy when I checked as well, YIKES. Should be OK, but a good reminder to me that I need to check the tanks pulse every 3 days or so.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a green slimer in the middle?

It's actually a tenuis, not yongei. It didn't have a name when I bought it, but I've been calling it "The Hulk Tenuis", can you figure out why, lol?!

I know a frequent gripe for hobbyists if having too much green. I actually have a lot of red and pink in my tank, I didn't intend for it to be, but this acro has turned into my showpiece.

Not my video, but it looks identical to this:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's actually a tenuis, not yongei. It didn't have a name when I bought it, but I've been calling it "The Hulk Tenuis", can you figure out why, lol?!

I know a frequent gripe for hobbyists if having too much green. I actually have a lot of red and pink in my tank, I didn't intend for it to be, but this acro has turned into my showpiece.

Not my video, but it looks identical to this:

It's beautiful!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the party but beautiful tank!

Hey Drawman, sorry I missed this! Better late than never, welcome aboard!

It's been a real big week for this tank! For starters, I ended up pulling the trigger on a frag pack that was looking real nice: vivid confetti, wwc pink panther, wwc king Fiji, & wwc pink passion. Upon loading everything up onto my already packed frag rack, I determined that I 1.) Have a problem 2.) had to rescape if I wanted to get the rack off the side.

I've been on the lookout for a few more fish, and the universe aligned and I got 2 great candidates. First was a Midas Blenny. What I thought was going to be a traditional blenny is actually the blue/purple kind with a yellow tail, which upon research is the harder one to come across. I know they change colors when stressed, but I can assure you this greedy guts fish is not stressed. It's been less than a week and this glutton is pretty much eating from my fingers.

The second is a spotted mandarin. This came from a tank with another mandarin who was abusing it pretty bad (2 males in the same tank.) While there is a few bite marks on it's back from being attacked, it's eating frozen every time I feed, and seems to snack on pods all day long, as expected. I was worried the blenny was going to be aggressive, but they seem to have gotten it worked out.

With the rescape came the chance to take out rocks and do a water change. I was able to do a comprehensive sweep of the bottom of the tank and rid all the clutter and detritus, with a not so smooth coraline bottom left behind! While I was at it, I noticed I've been getting a bit of hair algae through out the tank, and it's probably because I need to change my RO/DI filters. So I ordered some new ones, and figured it's probably been about or close to 2 years on the membrane, so ordered one of those as well.

I still have to go in and snap off the bottom of the frag plugs and glue them back, I was so excited about getting my frag rack gone I simply glued the full plugs and all to the rock, and it looks sloppy. I was also able to pack the dragons breath a little tighter back in the corner.

What is everybody's thoughts on the new back end of the tank?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back