OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome Isaac! Hope all is going well over there in Nova?!

Hey Stranger! Been a long time!

NOVA is, well, NOVA, lol. I'm still in the same area but gearing up for a move to most likely MD by the end of the year. We're aggressively house hunting. With 3 bulldogs and less than 700 sq ft, and a reef tank, we're looking for a yard and some more room! I've resigned myself to keeping this tank despite more space. One reason being I've pretty much only bought salt once when I set it up, and I'm still on the 3 out of 4 boxes about 2.5 years ago. Hope all is well with you!

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Stranger! Been a long time!
Hope all is well with you!
Well. It's only taken 2yrs and 7 months (hopefully) to get our house build completed est. 12/23/2019! Changed house plans 3 times because of county and assessors but about halfway through the build now! And gearing up for a new puppy next spring and hopefully a new Waterbox next summer!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. It's only taken 2yrs and 7 months (hopefully) to get our house build completed est. 12/23/2019! Changed house plans 3 times because of county and assessors but about halfway through the build now! And gearing up for a new puppy next spring and hopefully a new Waterbox next summer!

Ahhh the Joy's of house building. Lol I think you have your priorities backwards, should be house, new tank, then dog :p

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh the Joy's of house building. Lol I think you have your priorities backwards, should be house, new tank, then dog :p

Haha. House hunting is hard. We're aggressively looking, and know exactly what we want. We've already had the disappointment of losing a few bids, which has shown us how competitive our area really is.

These are my 3 ride or dies: Taco, Thor, & Tiny. They totally deserve a yard, but I also deserve a smoker and a grill, and a brew shed:
41084156225_c74d5f5f88_b.jpg

The tank is cool and all, but I've already done large tanks, and I can manage this one with ease. I think that's probably why I'm still around!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Drawman, sorry I missed this! Better late than never, welcome aboard!

It's been a real big week for this tank! For starters, I ended up pulling the trigger on a frag pack that was looking real nice: vivid confetti, wwc pink panther, wwc king Fiji, & wwc pink passion. Upon loading everything up onto my already packed frag rack, I determined that I 1.) Have a problem 2.) had to rescape if I wanted to get the rack off the side.

I've been on the lookout for a few more fish, and the universe aligned and I got 2 great candidates. First was a Midas Blenny. What I thought was going to be a traditional blenny is actually the blue/purple kind with a yellow tail, which upon research is the harder one to come across. I know they change colors when stressed, but I can assure you this greedy guts fish is not stressed. It's been less than a week and this glutton is pretty much eating from my fingers.

The second is a spotted mandarin. This came from a tank with another mandarin who was abusing it pretty bad (2 males in the same tank.) While there is a few bite marks on it's back from being attacked, it's eating frozen every time I feed, and seems to snack on pods all day long, as expected. I was worried the blenny was going to be aggressive, but they seem to have gotten it worked out.

With the rescape came the chance to take out rocks and do a water change. I was able to do a comprehensive sweep of the bottom of the tank and rid all the clutter and detritus, with a not so smooth coraline bottom left behind! While I was at it, I noticed I've been getting a bit of hair algae through out the tank, and it's probably because I need to change my RO/DI filters. So I ordered some new ones, and figured it's probably been about or close to 2 years on the membrane, so ordered one of those as well.

I still have to go in and snap off the bottom of the frag plugs and glue them back, I was so excited about getting my frag rack gone I simply glued the full plugs and all to the rock, and it looks sloppy. I was also able to pack the dragons breath a little tighter back in the corner.

What is everybody's thoughts on the new back end of the tank?

That's a solid pack! Pretty much right off of my want list good pick up!

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. House hunting is hard. We're aggressively looking, and know exactly what we want. We've already had the disappointment of losing a few bids, which has shown us how competitive our area really is.

These are my 3 ride or dies: Taco, Thor, & Tiny. They totally deserve a yard, but I also deserve a smoker and a grill, and a brew shed:
41084156225_c74d5f5f88_b.jpg

The tank is cool and all, but I've already done large tanks, and I can manage this one with ease. I think that's probably why I'm still around!
Hit me up on private message about smokers. I am BBQ Comp cooker(have over 270 awards) , have our own Rub and Sauce business and can help point you in the right direction for a smoker.. Love your wolf pack

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit me up on private message about smokers. I am BBQ Comp cooker(have over 270 awards) , have our own Rub and Sauce business and can help point you in the right direction for a smoker.. Love your wolf pack

I definitely will when the time comes! I'm studying for my Certified Cicerone, and keep a solid 6 kegs of homebrew in rotation, nothing like some good company and beer & BBQ!

They say that all dogs are 99% similar in terms of DNA to wolves, but I don't believe that when it come to English Bulldogs!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New scape is real groovy man!! I definitely support getting more serious brewing gear, a smoker and a yard for the puppers!! :D

I'm going to get a Kamado Joe for our new place, was looking at a Yoder Smoker YS480 but I think the Kamado will be a little better to work with where we are!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New scape is real groovy man!! I definitely support getting more serious brewing gear, a smoker and a yard for the puppers!! :D

I'm going to get a Kamado Joe for our new place, was looking at a Yoder Smoker YS480 but I think the Kamado will be a little better to work with where we are!

Kamado Joe looks a lot like the Big Green Egg. We’re working on all of the above! Hopefully by the end of the year.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will when the time comes! I'm studying for my Certified Cicerone, and keep a solid 6 kegs of homebrew in rotation, nothing like some good company and beer & BBQ!

They say that all dogs are 99% similar in terms of DNA to wolves, but I don't believe that when it come to English Bulldogs!
I know right! my pit mix is only 11.5% English Bulldog but somehow that's enough bulldog DNA to make her sleep 23 hours a day. I absolutely love the pic of them all snoozing on the couch, aren't they just precious.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, semi large update -
Pending a home inspection we are going to be moving into a house by October 31st. It's only 45 minutes away from the tanks location, but we still have to get the floors finished before moving everything over.

In the past, I've always enjoyed a good re-boot, but I'm thinking about attempting the move and setting up as is. While we will have the space for me to finally pull in a 180-250, I have really enjoyed focusing on a smaller tank, and have found it to be just as rewarding.

I guess it can't be all good. I do have some very mild spots of what appears to be bryopsis popping up. I do have fluconazole on hand, and wonder if I will stress the tank if I dose before moving it. That and while I've been so busy, my PC Rainbow snuck onto my JF Homewrecker plug and RTN'd the thing to death. I guess the silver lining there is in than less than 2 weeks the PC Rainbow grew/encrusted 1/4-1/2".

Anyways, here's some photos from tonight!

48789938333_9def837284_b.jpg

48790301536_8ec0ec770d_b.jpg

48790446947_9df8072e57_b.jpg

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t you heard it’s bad luck to move homes and not upgrade tanks!?!? You don’t want bad juju in the new house
Well, semi large update -
Pending a home inspection we are going to be moving into a house by October 31st. It's only 45 minutes away from the tanks location, but we still have to get the floors finished before moving everything over.

In the past, I've always enjoyed a good re-boot, but I'm thinking about attempting the move and setting up as is. While we will have the space for me to finally pull in a 180-250, I have really enjoyed focusing on a smaller tank, and have found it to be just as rewarding.

I guess it can't be all good. I do have some very mild spots of what appears to be bryopsis popping up. I do have fluconazole on hand, and wonder if I will stress the tank if I dose before moving it. That and while I've been so busy, my PC Rainbow snuck onto my JF Homewrecker plug and RTN'd the thing to death. I guess the silver lining there is in than less than 2 weeks the PC Rainbow grew/encrusted 1/4-1/2".

Anyways, here's some photos from tonight!

48789938333_9def837284_b.jpg

48790301536_8ec0ec770d_b.jpg

48790446947_9df8072e57_b.jpg

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new house!

TYVM!

Haven’t you heard it’s bad luck to move homes and not upgrade tanks!?!? You don’t want bad juju in the new house

Haha, here comes the badgering I was expecting! We don't get the keys until 10/31 (That's right baby, a Harrowing Haunted Halloween House... acquisition.) I couldn't find a synonym for buying that started with an "H". Foiled again by that meddling English language! (said in a Shaggy Doo voice.)

As it sits, we don't have a great idea how the front of the house looks. The current soon to be PO was not much of a landscaper or a gardener. There is a great Magnolia tree out front, and a couple of oaks, but the first 8' of trunk on all the trees have not been pruned in probably half a decade. There's also some really neat (not) striped 70's awnings over some windows, which will be my first removal. The floors on the first floor need to be sanded and re stained/finished, which will be the first big step before even bringing the tank over. Honestly, I think there will be so much to do that I don't think I have the time to take on a bigger tank project without getting overwhelmed. Especially because work is jumping into a real busy season as well.

I'd love to consider an 80 Deep Blue, but if I were to be honest, I think a 180-250 range would be my "forever" tank option. The only reason would be for the fish selection, and I'm just not super jazzed about it enough to drop a whole lot more money to keep a blue face or an imperator, 3 dogs are more than enough to fill that void for me, lol!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say from the sounds of things, definitely keep the nano going and then once you've made all the changes and finished the work you want to do on the house, then look at another tank and maybe an upgrade! :D Why mess with the awesome success you're having in the nano and it'll be easy to move too haha

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't want to derail your FS thread,but I'm just yankin' your stank leg I completely understand.

This tank is too good like I said on NR if this tank gets torn down,I'm never setting my tank up lol. But I'll set it up anyways even if it does happen one day. I still need to get my tank wet anyways....;Brb

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back