YIKES!! Ruined a nice walk on the beach here in SOCAL! =(

Diamondsinthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I think its scary. I've never heard of this and so many animals depend on this food source. I know its a small % of sardines but why did it happen. They said that too many got trapped in a small space and depleted the oxygen in the water but I'm not sure if I buy that or not. WOW

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the article it has happened in the past due to algae blooms, but I agree with you it is pretty scary and there has been alot of stuff happening in the world that just makes me think 2012 is true lol. Somedays I honestly feel like going on a shopping spree with my wife but then I get the mail and reality sets back in lol.

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this happens about every other year here in Jacksonville in the ST. JOHNS river, we have algal bloom fish kills all the time then within about 2 weeks everything's back to normal, it also happens (rarely) when we get those nasty red tides

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its our fault..dog poop silt run off..construction..trash sewage..wast..algae utilizes all the excess nutrients then dies..then the bacteria grow in trillions eating all the dead algae using up all the oxygen....similar to vodka dosing..I say we build a humongous protein skimmer and sit it out in the bay!

Hyprviperx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its our fault..dog poop silt run off..construction..trash sewage..wast..algae utilizes all the excess nutrients then dies..then the bacteria grow in trillions eating all the dead algae using up all the oxygen....similar to vodka dosing..I say we build a humongous protein skimmer and sit it out in the bay!

haha agreed (though i dont live near you) HUMONGOUS:wink:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol we can convert an oil drilling platform, with a mile long bubble chamber the whole ocean is good to go!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was just a thread with you sharing with all of us that you threw up, hah.

But wow, that's pretty horrifying, I know it happens from times to time, but still, that much life just done in so short a time period is nuts.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to the middle of the country on dec 20th
that's what i was thinking... we have a house in CO... but if plates are shifting then being in the mountains might now be the best place to be. but then again if the poles shift and we have 1000m+ waves, we're all toast! I hope the Mayans are wrong! but something tells me they had insight from a higher intelligence...........

Tenacious716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy! Do you live in Redondo Beach? I have been considering moving out there, and Redondo Beach seems to be one of the nicer parts of LA.

PS- You going to CFM? I'll be there! :D

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy ! For sure just goes to show we really do not know much about our surroundings!

mersam74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would be out there picking out the good ones to eat
you belive in 2012 predicted by the Mayan calender, really the Mayans the ones who performed human sacrifices and rip out there hearts and wear the skin as a coat

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back