YOU ACTUALLY TALK TO YOUR FISH??? What the real experts say!!!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Good morning, So, who’s ready for a little breakfast?” Nope! The wife’s still in bed! That invitation is directed at my reef.
AND IT DOESN’T MEAN I’M CRAZY!!! :D

1. Your communication with your fish is in fact a sign of intelligence…..On your part!!!

2. From Dogs to Dolphins we’ve seen intelligent responses. But have you every witnessed any response from your Angels, Clowns or Wrasses? What say you?
DFCE3A92-488A-45C7-8B70-F4404F2BF8FB.jpeg
42F978CA-9F92-4F5A-A2E9-9FC2F50ABFD9.jpeg
A61E45FA-C2C1-4EA5-BC75-D77B6B2FFC0D.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Good morning, So, who’s ready for a little breakfast?” Nope! The wife’s still in bed! That invitation is directed at my reef.
AND IT DOESN’T MEAN I’M CRAZY!!! :D

1. Your communication with your fish is in fact a sign of intelligence…..On your part!!!

2. From Dogs to Dolphins we’ve seen intelligent responses. But have you every witnessed any response from your Angels, Clowns or Wrasses? What say you?
DFCE3A92-488A-45C7-8B70-F4404F2BF8FB.jpeg
42F978CA-9F92-4F5A-A2E9-9FC2F50ABFD9.jpeg
A61E45FA-C2C1-4EA5-BC75-D77B6B2FFC0D.jpeg
I’m not the only one who talks to the tank!
When I feed they tend to jump (Specifically my Angel) but when I say “Don’t jump” I both look ridiculous infront of the family AND the fish listen - There is no sign of jumping most of the time.
They also learn what noises mean food is getting ready so they all swim to one end of the tank to watch it be prepared haha.
Some people just don’t respect the hobby as much as it should be because “Fish just swim and eat”. Talk to just about anyone part of this hobby and you will find out that isn’t always true with most fish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly just ask them, “what the heck are you doing now?” And call them “you fatty fatty clownfish”.
This is very similar to me - When the foxface is at the glass I sit on a chair and talk to him then seem like an idiot when I do it (It’s worse when the neighbours catch a glimpse of it from the window)

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk trash to my lawnmower Blenny because he's a judgemental Richard!
If Lawnmower Blennys would do a little more “lawnmowing” and a little less “judging, we’d all be better off!!!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would I talk to my fish? All the voices in my head keep me busy enough... Especially the one that speaks Spanish. I have no idea what it is saying......

But seriously, yes I talk to them. Clowns get cussed most of the time, lawnmower blenny is useless and tangs just look like they are talking back sometimes.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm not insane?
I have to admit, the only fish who tried to communicate with me that did not include food items was a dragon wrasse I once had. She would lay on the sand, watch and stare right at me. If I diverted my eyes, she went to where I was looking. I don't understand why, even to this day.
There was a mass amount of trust. She would swim around a rock as if asking me to pick the rock up. So I did, only to see she would pick food off of the bottom of it. I would do this weekly as it was rather entertaining. Learning about dragon wrasse, they pick up rocks and throw them around while looking for food. I kept her for 4-5 years. Never had another fish like her.

Emperor angelfish. Another mass of personality. Would grunt when hungry, ignored or scared.
My son and copper banded butterfly get into poking contests. He pokes the glass, she pokes right back.

This does sound crazy.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe they can hear you. they are smart creatures (smarter than most FW Fish I believe) and each have their own personalities. They seem to know what time it is when start to beg me for food like my cats, lol. They all swim to one corner of the tank and wait for me to feed them. Really adorable.

but aside from hearing and learning the habits, I really doubt they understand a word you say, even to the tone of your voice.

Now if THEY could talk? dang I don't wanna know what they'd say about me lol

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the only one who talks to the tank!
When I feed they tend to jump (Specifically my Angel) but when I say “Don’t jump” I both look ridiculous infront of the family AND the fish listen - There is no sign of jumping most of the time.
They also learn what noises mean food is getting ready so they all swim to one end of the tank to watch it be prepared haha.
Some people just don’t respect the hobby as much as it should be because “Fish just swim and eat”. Talk to just about anyone part of this hobby and you will find out that isn’t always true with most fish.
I can totally relate to the food prep stare!!! Have you ever put your hand on the glass, wide open and have the fish come over to it and just stay next to it. The connection is real.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not insane?
I have to admit, the only fish who tried to communicate with me that did not include food items was a dragon wrasse I once had. She would lay on the sand, watch and stare right at me. If I diverted my eyes, she went to where I was looking. I don't understand why, even to this day.
There was a mass amount of trust. She would swim around a rock as if asking me to pick the rock up. So I did, only to see she would pick food off of the bottom of it. I would do this weekly as it was rather entertaining. Learning about dragon wrasse, they pick up rocks and throw them around while looking for food. I kept her for 4-5 years. Never had another fish like her.

Emperor angelfish. Another mass of personality. Would grunt when hungry, ignored or scared.
My son and copper banded butterfly get into poking contests. He pokes the glass, she pokes right back.

This does sound crazy.
This is what makes me really want a dragon wrasse, I just don’t know if I would want my frags being thrown around the tank haha.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe they can hear you. they are smart creatures (smarter than most FW Fish I believe) and each have their own personalities. They seem to know what time it is when start to beg me for food like my cats, lol. They all swim to one corner of the tank and wait for me to feed them. Really adorable.

but aside from hearing and learning the habits, I really doubt they understand a word you say, even to the tone of your voice.

Now if THEY could talk? dang I don't wanna know what they'd say about me lol
All I would hear from my tank would probably be a ton of cussing and feed me’s if they could talk.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back