YOU ACTUALLY TALK TO YOUR FISH??? What the real experts say!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can totally relate to the food prep stare!!! Have you ever put your hand on the glass, wide open and have the fish come over to it and just stay next to it. The connection is real.
Yes they do! It’s so interesting to see how they behave, we truly don’t understand enough about our oceans and the treasures they hold.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I talk to all 3 of my tanks....
Especially Felicia, my gold dot maroon clown, who always bites me if I even dip my hand in her tank.
And I tell her "BYE!" all the time...
Ice Cube Friday GIF

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most definitely tank to the fish in my tank. My personal opinion based observation is that the clowns are not the sharpest tools in the shed. The tailspot blenny, however, is a bit more intelligent in that he observes me. I also believe he's come to recognize my voice -- I've named him Marvin (the Maritan), and in the morning when I say his name in the tone of voice I talk to my pets in, he pops his head out of his barnacle, looks at me, and swims over.

My freshwater puffers are on a whole other level -- they visibly appreciate interaction and beg for food. Out of fish, puffers probably behave the most like traditional pets.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not insane?
I have to admit, the only fish who tried to communicate with me that did not include food items was a dragon wrasse I once had. She would lay on the sand, watch and stare right at me. If I diverted my eyes, she went to where I was looking. I don't understand why, even to this day.
There was a mass amount of trust. She would swim around a rock as if asking me to pick the rock up. So I did, only to see she would pick food off of the bottom of it. I would do this weekly as it was rather entertaining. Learning about dragon wrasse, they pick up rocks and throw them around while looking for food. I kept her for 4-5 years. Never had another fish like her.

Emperor angelfish. Another mass of personality. Would grunt when hungry, ignored or scared.
My son and copper banded butterfly get into poking contests. He pokes the glass, she pokes right back.

This does sound crazy.
Excellent! The epitome of a symbiotic relationship!!! Nice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talk to all 3 of my tanks....
Especially Felicia, my gold dot maroon clown, who always bites me if I even dip my hand in her tank.
And I tell her "BYE!" all the time...
Ice Cube Friday GIF
Haha, if my Black Photon starts biting me I will call her Felicia, but for now she remains as “Phantom”.
What my fish have also done is they react to their names a bit like dogs which is strange - the foxface for sure does it, I may be up in the middle of the night and he is sat there helping me to stay calm. He will come to the front of the tank no matter what time it is and “play” with me, if I was able to have my hand near him, I would but I don’t risk it because of the spines and Eventhough I know he wouldn’t mean to I still don’t want to go to A&E.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I most definitely tank to the fish in my tank. My personal opinion based observation is that the clowns are not the sharpest tools in the shed. The tailspot blenny, however, is a bit more intelligent in that he observes me. I also believe he's come to recognize my voice -- I've named him Marvin (the Maritan), and in the morning when I say his name in the tone of voice I talk to my pets in, he pops his head out of his barnacle, looks at me, and swims over.

My freshwater puffers are on a whole other level -- they visibly appreciate interaction and beg for food. Out of fish, puffers probably behave the most like traditional pets.
That’s the same with most of my fish, as soon as I say their name they pop up (Or even their species!). I will end up saying “Wheres the Radiant wrasse” or “Wheres the Jade wrasse” and they just pop up from behind the rocks as if to say “We’re here!”.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the same with most of my fish, as soon as I say their name they pop up (Or even their species!). I will end up saying “Wheres the Radiant wrasse” or “Wheres the Jade wrasse” and they just pop up from behind the rocks as if to say “We’re here!”.
I really think they can hear and recognize voices, or at least a tone of voice. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who experiences this b/c for a while there I thought I must be kinda crazy.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, if my Black Photon starts biting me I will call her Felicia, but for now she remains as “Phantom”.
What my fish have also done is they react to their names a bit like dogs which is strange - the foxface for sure does it, I may be up in the middle of the night and he is sat there helping me to stay calm. He will come to the front of the tank no matter what time it is and “play” with me, if I was able to have my hand near him, I would but I don’t risk it because of the spines and Eventhough I know he wouldn’t mean to I still don’t want to go to A&E.
Great story, I believe! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if I did go to A&E because I was “playing” with a venomous fish, I would sound like a psycho to most doctors haha.
Another fish that certainly acts similar to this is the lionfish (Even just working with them in an LFS, they showed very similar behaviour, they knew when it was feeding time and what to do when my hand was in the tank - Stay on the other side)

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly just ask them, “what the heck are you doing now?” And call them “you fatty fatty clownfish”.

This reminded me of when I had a Quaker Parrot that would stare at me all the time and I'd turn to her and exclaim "WHAT?!" Didn't take long before every time I looked at her she'd be the first to yell "WHAT?!" right back at me. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminded me of when I had a Quaker Parrot that would stare at me all the time and I'd turn to her and exclaim "WHAT?!" Didn't take long before every time I looked at her she'd be the first to yell "WHAT?!" right back at me. ;Hilarious
Talking Parrot fish are rare! What did it cost? :D

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My 2 conures do this all the time! haha "whatcha doin?!?"
Or God forbid if I try filling anything with water without them first needing to "test" its purity by drinking or showering in it...

This was them "helping" me with a live sale
20211010_172453.jpg

Their names are Peas & Carrot

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I admit I am guilty of talking to an urchin and a snail a little while ago. Not as often as the fish.
Your urchin and snail audience is much more captive with their slow pace. The discussions must be deep?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back