You can't do that! But you did it anyway! What was it?

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 78.0%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successfully keeping cleaner wrasse in less then a 300 gallon tank.

I have 4 long term; one in a 34 gal, 48 gal, 55 gal and 88 gallon. I'm going to put one in my 10 gal nano just to prove it can be done. They all eat flake, frozen food and the larger ones even eat pellets.

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What have you accomplished in reefing that someone else said you can't do or it won't work?
I was told not to put jawfishes, and dif ones at that, in a tank together and they should not be with tangs.
I have 2 bluespot jaws, 2 pearls, a purple fire, and 3 tanks in a 120 (powder blue, hippo, and yellow)

Attachments

• 20200608_184654.mp4
    32.1 MB
Last edited:

MiniBukta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are things in this hobby that you shouldn't do. Like putting a tang in a nano or feeding your trigger live damselfish. That's not nice. :/ Heck some might even argue with me over that! But there are many things that people say you shouldn't do or can't do who get proven wrong all the time. Obviously there are things that are unethical when it comes to fish keeping so let's steer clear of that. So today let's talk about it!

1. What have you accomplished in reefing that someone else said you can't do or it won't work?

2. What is something that someone said you shouldn't do but you tried anyway and it didn't work?

cant do it.jpg
1: a guy I knew from work told me I couldn’t have more than 2-3 fish in my 55 gallon tank because it’s “impossible to keep them fed” and they’ll die off. To be fair, I’ve had freshwater aquariums my whole life, so I immediately knew how stupid that was. What’s alarming, is that he also had a small reef tank, so I have no clue what he was doing wrong.
2: I was told not to get a tarantula crab. So, I got a tarantula crab because I did, and still think they’re absolutely awesome. Well, I found a new home for it within a month because it was destroying EVERYTHING.

I’m hoping with moving to a 180 gallon I can possibly reconsider a T crab after some heavy research, but who knows. I’m not quite there yet.

backdraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding and keeping multiple tangs in a non traditional order of introduction. And having a normally "non aggressive" Tang rule the aquarium. (YEKT vs. Clown tang)

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Angel fish aren't reef safe" -- I've kept a juvenile emperor and flame angel, both are model citizens.

"You can't keep puffers and ornamental shrimp" -- YUP. LESSON LEARNED.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done things differently .
1: I don’t use a protein skimmer ever . I don’t own one . And I have low nutrients.
2: I use a canister filter instead of a sump . People say it’s a nitrate factory but as I just wrote I have low nutrients . Both phosphate and nitrates barely detectable. In fact I just order up some sodium nitrate to start doseing.
so no skimmer and a canister filter with 20 fishin a 90gallon aquarium.

Ti64reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes clown triggers are complet bullies. i've never kept one thank the lords, and i just don't like their appearance to me their dead on ugly.
My Clown Tang (Bob) is an evil son of a gun and generally hates everyone including the magnet cleaner. He tries to bother all the fish but they have learned to fight back. Fortunately he has about 400 gallons to roam so everyone can find some bit of serenity.

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping two tangs of the same species
Cutting hammer corals up to the flesh
Killing all planeras with a single dip of bayer
Keeping two mandarin in a no pod system (3years strong)
Same here, 2 acan (PBT and Achilles) and 2 zebra (Desjardini and Purple) and they’re all friends, no sparring.

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite being told not to I Spent my entire stimulus check on my first saltwater aquarium during quarantine....then realized I needed more money so I used half of my girlfriends stimulus check on my tank as well and told her it was for bills ;)

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a tank without having cycled properly and with only having dry rock. The first fish that was in the tank, and is in there to this day a little over a year later was a copperband butterfly fish.

jdstank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite being told not to I Spent my entire stimulus check on my first saltwater aquarium during quarantine....then realized I needed more money so I used half of my girlfriends stimulus check on my tank as well and told her it was for bills ;)
Yikes!! Hope she doesn’t frequent this site. You may need another stimulus check for that inevitable dog house to sleep in if she sees this.

Calebb8133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had next to no advice on how to get a clown and nem to pair up and I came up with something that has worked quite well and while others probably have done the same I wasn't suggested it.

Troy V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Tanks-Each with different coral requirements plumed to one sump.

-Skimmerless
-1 Annual water change
-Xenia Refugium

2. What is something that someone said you shouldn't do but you tried anyway and it didn't work?
Keeping mated Maroon Clowns with mated Percula Clown. Poor little guys!;Blackeye No worries. I was able to save them, and they are still with me years later.

IMG_20200628_124219332.jpg

IMG_20200628_124652276.jpg

IMG_20200628_144104251.jpg
IMG_20200704_195513677.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back