You can't do that! But you did it anyway! What was it?

Have you accomplished something in reefing that someone else said wouldn't work?

• Yes and it was... (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 110 78.0%
  • I tried but they were right....(tell us in the thread)

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • I didn't try it...(what was it?)

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

rknott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Successfully run a nano tank. For years and years and years I was told you couldn't have a 14g saltwater tank. It kept me out of the hobby for probably 10 or more years given space considerations. Possible this old school advice is finally starting to die down with newer technologies, but I can't say how many people said don't do it even after the advent of bio cubes.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failed- that a bicolor blenny was reef safe...he was an over fed pig that ate and ate and ate, and then he ate all my green corals! Leading to a tank being ripped apart after trapping failed after a month of trial and he learned that there was a hook on the end of my line, just too darn smart that one

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone told me it was impossible to kill GSP, but I've succeeded!

Yeah i started saltwater tanks about 4 months ago,i have a hammer head, zoas and a toadstool. All absolutely thriving i bought a gsp frag for an island in my tank and it was about 2 weeks go by and it never opened. Over 5 WEEKS ago I took it out and added a purple mat gsp. Its still purple but it still hasnt opened. I'm confused as hell... a coral that i want to completely take over won't even open up

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“You can’t keep a diamond goby and a mandarin in the same system. The DG will our compete the mandarin for food.”

I have had them in the same 70 gallon tank fora year. Both eat well and are fat. The DG eats everything, I mean everything. The mandarin eats the frozen pods I put in too but I get pods every month and add to the tank, a small price to pay for a happy, healthy fish imho.
I agree with this I have a green spotted mandarin ana diamond goby in a 30 gallon long tank and have a 20gallon sump. I also have a refuge and I have an abundant amount of copepods and never had to supplement. Also by having a mandiran that’s target fed every day I have no issues with having a diamond goby together. If you have a sump you can always turn part of it into a refuge and you will have more room for copepods to breed. Also a lot of rocks help as long as you have at least 70lbs Of rock you should be all set. Only thing is some critters like green emerald crabs like to snack on pods haha

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Told and read many times "can't have more than two clownfish in one tank especially a smaller tank"..... I've got one pair (ocellaris paired with a snowflake ocellaris) and then a very small (as of right now) single clarkii clownfish that went right from the bag to his bta never leaves it but to eat and brings food back to his/her nem it's so cool to watch. I'm prob. jinxing myself here and I do know clarkii's tend to be aggressive but keeping my fingers crossed he/she behaves or will be donating to LFS just like the jerk purple pseudochromis/dottyback that killed and ate my three sexy shrimp and porcelain nem crab not to mention tormenting my purple and two red firefish. I had to take my whole rockscape down to get him/her out but I pulled it off :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago I put a baby Pinnatus Batfish in a 75 gallon tank. This was pre-Internet, so not a whole lot of info about them at the time. However, a Marine Biologist who worked for a public aquarium finally told me that they reach 18 inches and that I should consider donating it when it outgrew my 75 gal. He also told me that I probably didn't have the skills required to care for such a delicate fish over the long-term. That was all I needed to hear to fire me up!

So, when it outgrew my 75 gallon I setup a 450 gallon just for it and some other larger fish that my dad gave me. I kept that Pinnatus Batfish for over 12 years until Hurricane Katrina finally took it out. That same Marine Biologist is now a friend of mine, and admitted to me later on that the longest the public aquarium had ever kept one in captivity was 8 years. Yeah, it felt good to hear that. :)

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing copper in the display and later making it into a reef. There are plenty of others who have done this but there’s still a good amount of people who say once you dose copper in the DT it’ll never be a reef again.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kept a healthy cleaner wrasse with only a handful of other fish.

Kept it alive through a velvet outbreak that killed tougher fish, and even after, surviving to be only one of two fish in the tank. Kept a healthy weight and diet the entire time. Had it for a couple of months, long after I was told it would likely be dead.

Of course it then jumped out of a tiny gap in the lid and killed itself.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont use a canister or wont be able to keep coral.
20200628_180233.jpg

Ruta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 different pairs of clownfish (Frostbite, Mocha, and Midnight) who live together peacefully in my new 30 gallon reef tank. I can't claim to have done this, I adopted the 6 fish from my local fish store. They lived together previously. I was setting up a new tank, so the 6 were just right for me. The Frostbites definitely rule the roost! I have 3 rainbow anemones. The frostbites claimed all 3. The mochas have a powerhead, and the midnights are hosting a rock.

Anemone.jpg

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i started saltwater tanks about 4 months ago,i have a hammer head, zoas and a toadstool. All absolutely thriving i bought a gsp frag for an island in my tank and it was about 2 weeks go by and it never opened. Over 5 WEEKS ago I took it out and added a purple mat gsp. Its still purple but it still hasnt opened. I'm confused as hell... a coral that i want to completely take over won't even open up
My GSP thrive in good water flow

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back